I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times

Removing Sensor Dust Spots Via Software?

Just thought I'd see if any one can give me any tips for removing sensor dust spots from pics via software programs (until i get a chance to get the things i need to actually clean the dust off the 400D's sensor).
    I've downloaded Neat image which didn't seem to do much at all on the pic I tried it on (true though i've only tried it on one pic so far and haven't played with the settings and the pic i tried it on had already been converted to B&W)
    I don't have Photoshop and unfortunately haven't got the room on this drive to put it on it presently (have to get the other comp my boyfriend has up and networked to this so i can get it on there lol).
    I do have Ulead PhotoImpact (older version - think its 7) would this be able to do it someway and how?
    Does the actual Canon software with the camera have something also that would be able to do it?
    It's got about 3-4 spots but unfortunately they are in areas where they usually REALLY show up like in the centre at the top (sky etc) and I tend to do a few long exposure/high F shots which really shows them up (normal pics have no marks at all)

Any one have any ideas on this? Thanks
    “Our lives at times seem a study in contrast... love & hate, birth & death, right & wrong... everything seen in absolutes of black & white. Too often we are not aware that it is the shades of grey that add depth & meaning to the starkness of those extremes.” - Ansel Adams

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    204 times
    Neat Image will see the dust spot as a feature of the image since it's not consistent throughout the photo. It does a fantastic job of noise though. If anything Neat Image is the noise reduction solution LEAST likely to remove dust spots.

Adobe Lightroom has the Clonestamp and Spot Heal tools from photoshop so that's a smaller and cheaper alternative.
    "I am always satisfied with the best." -Oscar Wilde
    Larger versions always on flickr
    Best photos in my gallery

Proud Supporter of The Pact

Banned
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Dowload "The Gimp". Its free and it has the Clone tool which allows you to take one part of the picture and paint that over the dust particle. It works pretty well. I find gimp to be awesome since there really isnt much stuff it cant do that photoshop can.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    5 times
    Photoshop's healing brush does a bang-up job (likely the best results), sorry you do not have that as an option.

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the replies

Hopefully once i get this other comp set up here also (need to network them as theres a heap on this comp i need currently) I can get photoshop installed.

I've just set up the Dust Delete data on the Canon (remembered about that after I did the post but havent taken any pics with it going as yet) - so I'm sorta hoping that might do the trick till i get the sensor cleaned.

Has anyone used that feature on the camera and how well does it actually work?
    “Our lives at times seem a study in contrast... love & hate, birth & death, right & wrong... everything seen in absolutes of black & white. Too often we are not aware that it is the shades of grey that add depth & meaning to the starkness of those extremes.” - Ansel Adams

Ads