Thread: What's your best RAW converter?

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times

What's your best RAW converter?

Just want to get a feel for what people think out there. What is your best RAW converter? I know what Popular Photography, Shutterbug, and other magazines have said. Now I like to hear from my pears. What do you think is the best at converting?

Do you think the manufacturers software is the best or are you a fan of third party converters? Note, not all converters are the same. So if you believe they are, then don't bother posting.

-Nick
    Canon guy. Love photography and people who have fun with photography. www.nticoncepts.com http://blog.nticoncepts.com

7D • 5DMII • 50D • 30D • 580EX II • 430 EX • 85mm f/1.2 L II • 50mm f/1.2 L • 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS • 16-35mm f2.8 L II • EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 • II and 1.4x II Teleconverters • Sekonic Flash Master L-358 • All EF Mounts

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (4)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1209 times
    I used to use Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP), I thought it was pretty good at the time.

I use Lightroom now and would never go back to DPP. Lightroom blows DPP away, IMO.

I'm not just talking ease of use - my pictures done with DPP look like crap compared the ones after I started using Lightroom.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    5 times
    Depends on the brand, however my personal fav is PS CS3 (soon CS4).

Been spending a lot of time on here!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    LIGHTROOM IS BOSS
    JonnyO

What I'm Loooking Through
    Canon 40 w/17-85 IS USM
    Pentax Spotmatic
    -85-250 mm 3.5
    -50 mm 1.7
    -135 mm 2.8

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Phase One's Capture One produces a much better file than Adobe's converter in my opinion, though I'm stuck with LR for now, given that upgrading C1 to read 5D2 files means that it won't run unless I upgrade my OS .

My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Lightroom 2. I used to use Camera Raw in CS3, but LR2 is a much better tool.
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 1D Mark IV
    Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Canon 17-40mm f/4L
    Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L IS

Canon 50mm F1.8
    , Canon 500mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 580EXII Flash, Canon MR-14 EX Ring Flash
    Gitzo GT3530LS Tripod & RRS BH-55 Ballhead

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    5 times
    Lightroom.

)'(

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you everyone who responded. It seems to be an overwhelming Lightroom and Phase One response. However, has anyone used other third part software other than these two with best results?

Any a follow up question for Adobe users. Isn't the RAW converter in Photoshop the same as Lightroom? Don't they both use Adobe RAW or am I mistaken? I truly don't know and I am upgrading soon.

Currently I use Canon's DPP then Photoshop 7. I haven't needed more but feel I would benefit by upgrading. So, the question still stands, what's the best RAW workflow? What about bilbble, or DxO?

Thanks to everyone so far.

-Nick
    Canon guy. Love photography and people who have fun with photography. www.nticoncepts.com http://blog.nticoncepts.com

7D • 5DMII • 50D • 30D • 580EX II • 430 EX • 85mm f/1.2 L II • 50mm f/1.2 L • 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS • 16-35mm f2.8 L II • EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 • II and 1.4x II Teleconverters • Sekonic Flash Master L-358 • All EF Mounts

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dtornabene1 View Post
    Any a follow up question for Adobe users. Isn't the RAW converter in Photoshop the same as Lightroom? Don't they both use Adobe RAW or am I mistaken? I truly don't know and I am upgrading soon.

-Nick
    According to Adobe

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® software is built upon the same powerful raw processing technology that is available in the camera raw plug-in

Adobe - Adobe Photoshop CS4: Digital camera raw file support

Primarily, I'm a snapshooter, occasionally I will accidentally get a good photograph.

Nikon D40, Nikon 35mm f1.8, Nikon 18-55mm, Quantaray 70-300mm (Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD rebadged by Ritz/Wolf), - all stolen in a burglary.

Now - Nikon D3100, Nikon 18-55 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, SB-400

Also currently using:
    Kodak Pony 135

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBcos View Post
    According to Adobe

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® software is built upon the same powerful raw processing technology that is available in the camera raw plug-in

Adobe - Adobe Photoshop CS4: Digital camera raw file support
    Thanks MikeBcos! So, Photoshop or Lightroom are the same as far as RAW converters go, but I do understand there is a difference in user interface.

So, is everyone just using Adobe? There has to be people out there using programs other than Adobe! I'm not against using Adobe, after all I am an A.C.E. (I have CS4 used for a Printing Company. I just haven't found a reason to upgrade for my photography business).

But no one out there is using bibble, DxO, acdsee, etc.?

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    204 times
    CameraRAW engine. This includes Lightroom too, they are essentially the same RAW converter.

This has to be coupled with the Adobe CameraProfiles beta from Adobe Labs which addresses the lack of red with the default ACR4.3 profiles in CameraRAW and Lightroom.
    "I am always satisfied with the best." -Oscar Wilde
    Larger versions always on flickr
    Best photos in my gallery

Proud Supporter of The Pact

My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dtornabene1 View Post
    Thank you everyone who responded. It seems to be an overwhelming Lightroom and Phase One response. However, has anyone used other third part software other than these two with best results?

Currently I use Canon's DPP then Photoshop 7. I haven't needed more but feel I would benefit by upgrading. So, the question still stands, what's the best RAW workflow? What about bilbble, or DxO?

Thanks to everyone so far.

-Nick
    Camera Raw in CS4 is supposed to have the same tools as the Develop module in Lightroom2. I haven't seen it myself, so I don't know that the full functionality is actually there in CR. Lightroom is more than a raw converter, though. The Library module is a file manager that is superior to Adobe Bridge. There are also Web, Slideshow and Print modules. The advantage is that these modules are all seamlessly integrated.

If you're interested, my recommendation would be to go to the Adobe website and download the 30 free trial and get a good book on the program (I got Scott Kelby's book) so that you can see all the features without hunting for them.
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 1D Mark IV
    Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Canon 17-40mm f/4L
    Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L IS

Canon 50mm F1.8
    , Canon 500mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 580EXII Flash, Canon MR-14 EX Ring Flash
    Gitzo GT3530LS Tripod & RRS BH-55 Ballhead

No longer a newbie, moving up!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    I like Aperture 2.0...upgraded from 1.0 and still a loyal and happy customer.

Cheers,
    Majdi

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    204 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davebmck View Post
    Lightroom is more than a raw converter, though.
    Oh most definitly. Lightroom is an entire workflow manager for working on many images quickly. I was just pointing out that Lightroom uses Adobe CameraRAW as the RAW converter engine inside it. All the settings for developing really are the same. Just in ACR you manually do one at a time or maybe import multiple from bridge or do some other nasty horrid thing to try and help you process faster, whereas Lightroom is just intuitive from the ground up.
    "I am always satisfied with the best." -Oscar Wilde
    Larger versions always on flickr
    Best photos in my gallery

Proud Supporter of The Pact

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by freeflydive View Post
    I like Aperture 2.0...upgraded from 1.0 and still a loyal and happy customer.

Cheers,
    Majdi
    I was waiting for this one, and can't believe it took so long for someone to come forward with it. So, this is one of the biggest choices so far.

Adobe or Apple? Why is Lightroom better than Aperture or visa versa? I wan't to make an educated purchase. A consumer can read quite a bit from the company's themselves, but I am interested in the end-users.

Please let me know why you like one over the other. Or just why you like one, period.

Please, I am less concerned about technical specifications, more about people specifications.

Thanks Folks!

-Nick

P.S. So far these comments have been very helpful. I am very appreciative of all of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads