Thread: Expose?

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times

Expose?

Where should I expose for portraits? Should I expose for the shadow or highlights of the faces?
    azaleephoto likes this.
    Call me Michael.

Nikon D5100 | AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G DX | AF-S NIKKOR 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G ED DX | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm 1:1.8G

has a hat around here somewhere Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2912 times
    The "rule" I've always heard for digital is when in doubt expose for the highlights* and capture as much light data as possible. Then in editing you can pull back the exposure to the effect you want. This being better than pushing the photo up from the shadows and thus generating/revealing more noise. That's at least the basic idea of expose to the right method.

* saying that I probably mean more expose for the brights as opposed to highlights - since things like bright eye highlights would easily have the rest of the shot very underexposed by virtue of their much brighter light - and their size makes them unnoticeable even when overexposed)
    How to get critique on your photography!

The Mentor Scheme mentoring on TPF all are welcome to read and apply

Best photos on the net!
    well at least I like to think so - sometimes

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Overread View Post
    The "rule" I've always heard for digital is when in doubt expose for the highlights* and capture as much light data as possible. Then in editing you can pull back the exposure to the effect you want. This being better than pushing the photo up from the shadows and thus generating/revealing more noise. That's at least the basic idea of expose to the right method.

* saying that I probably mean more expose for the brights as opposed to highlights - since things like bright eye highlights would easily have the rest of the shot very underexposed by virtue of their much brighter light - and their size makes them unnoticeable even when overexposed)
    I do understand what you're trying to say. I'm already using this technique. But what I'm asking is that for the end product, which part of the face should be correctly exposed?
    Call me Michael.

Nikon D5100 | AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G DX | AF-S NIKKOR 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G ED DX | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm 1:1.8G

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    364 times
    Well that depends on if you want to under or over expose and if the lighting on the face is even, not to mention skin tone of the person. I use either the forehead or the cheeks with spot metering. For studio, I use a light meter.
    James
    "Photography is the art of exclusion"

Nikon D80, D600, D7000, D800.
    Nikkor AFS 24-70mm f2.8, AFS 70-200mm VR2 f/2.8, AF 35-70mm f/2.8D, AFS 105mm VR2 f2.8 Macro, AF 10.5mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8D, 35mm f1.8G, 35mm f1.4G, 85mm f1.8G.
    SB 800's, SB 600's, YN560's, Sekonic L358, Pocket Wizard Plus III's
    , Color Checker Passport, colored gels, softboxes, shoot through umbrellas, reflective umbrellas

All I need now is a great imagination.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times
    I find that even gray cards aren't useful enough. It depends on the direction the gray card is facing. I thought of this, in low light, the highlights should be exposed, in day light, the shadows should be exposed. I'm still not sure if that would work though. I'm now struggling with selecting which part of the face to expose. I tried to expose shadows if most of the face is in shadow, and vice versa, but that didn't work. It turned out very unprofessional, because the exposure of each scene isn't the same. The easiest thing to do is to use a reflector, but that doesn't work in all conditions. Any ideas?
    Call me Michael.

KmH
    Helping photographers learn to fish
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (1)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    4039 times
    Caucasian skin highlights should be between 235 and 240 in the red channel.

The darkest skin areas should be between 12 and 32. Less than 12 is under exposed.

For people that don't have 'pink' skin it's a little different lighting wise.
    We still need the 240 in the highlights, but dark skinned people should be lit so the light reflections show the form and contours of the face, instead of using shadows to model the facial mask. A dark shadow on dark skin will not show form and contour.
    . . . . . . Keith . . . . . . .How Do I Use My Digital SLR?...

* * * * * * * * * * A photograph is a roughly approximate 2-D interpretation of a 3-D reality. * * * * * * * * * *

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times
    I'm still confused. For the end product, which part of the skin should have correct brightness?
    Call me Michael.

KmH
    Helping photographers learn to fish
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (1)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    4039 times
    THE HIGHLIGHTS & don't block the shadows unless you're going for a high degree of drama with the lighting!
    . . . . . . Keith . . . . . . .How Do I Use My Digital SLR?...

* * * * * * * * * * A photograph is a roughly approximate 2-D interpretation of a 3-D reality. * * * * * * * * * *

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times
    Which means I have to find a middle point for both the highlights and the shadows. Don't seem like an easy thing to do.
    Call me Michael.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2040 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoingWhisper View Post
    Which means I have to find a middle point for both the highlights and the shadows. Don't seem like an easy thing to do.
    Should be you have a Nikon

TPF Junkie!
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    369 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoingWhisper
    It's not lol. I drive myself nuts still. That's where spot metering comes in. I haven't tried it in the sun or with flash yet lol. I'm still trying to learn it without. I'm talking a huge difference though. Like a person with darker skin wearing a white shirt. I'll learn it though.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gsgary View Post
    lol, it's not Nikon's problem, more like my problem. I do use my friends' Canons quite often. Canon have the same problem, so most likely I'm just nitpicky.
    Call me Michael.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach0 View Post
    It's not lol. I drive myself nuts still. That's where spot metering comes in. I haven't tried it in the sun or with flash yet lol. I'm still trying to learn it without. I'm talking a huge difference though. Like a person with darker skin wearing a white shirt. I'll learn it though.
    My spot meter covers too much to be useful. In many cases, it's just too large. Really hope that I could select the spot size.
    Call me Michael.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2040 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gsgary View Post
    lol, it's not Nikon's problem, more like my problem. I do use my friends' Canons quite often. Canon have the same problem, so most likely I'm just nitpicky.

Not in my hands they don't

TPF Junkie!
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    369 times

My spot meter covers too much to be useful. In many cases, it's just too large. Really hope that I could select the spot size.
    I am not sure if I'm doing it right to be honest. But I take a reading off of both and choose something in between. If highlights are still blown, then I adjust and try it again. I know it will take me a little while. I have to read up on it again. I don't know much about the zones yet but setting the camera's highlight warning helps a lot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads