Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: DIY boudoir shoot help

  1. #1
    TPF Noob!
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    10
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1 times

    DIY boudoir shoot help

    Hi. I'm very much an amatuer photographer, but i want to do something a little special for my husband's 40th birthday. I was thinking of taking some arty boudoir shots of myself, but i'm a little unsure of how i should set up. I have an Olympus E-410 and kit lenses, plus a legacy OM 50mm prime. I have one off-camera flash, but its not very good so i was thinking of going the natural light route.

    Having said all that, i'm not really sure where to start Anyone have any tips at all? I would hire someone to take the shots for me, except i don't have alot of cash to spare (hence one reason why i want to give him this for his birthday) and i'm a little bit shy



  2. #2
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,092
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    97 times
    If you can get a woman as photographer, your shyness might be less of a problem.

    If you want to do it alone, you will need a tripod of some sort. As the Olympus only weights 440g, a cheap ~60$ tripod like for example Dolica AX620B100 or Benro A-150EXU Digital Tripod Kit should suffice. Preferably try to get 2-3 chairs in the room so you can raise this kind of rather small tripod to somewhat more impressing levels, if you want to.

    Other than that, you need idea what motives you want, a self-timer on the camera, which apparently is existent, and probably a lot of tries and retries because you cant see what you're shooting.
    Nikon D600 + AF-S 28mm+50mm f1.8 + AF-S 16-35mm+70-200mm f4 VR

  3. #3
    TPF Noob!
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    10
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for your reply I do have a tripod, its not a Manfrotto but its a reasonably decent one I guess i'm more unsure of how to get the effects that i want, mainly soft skin tones, artistic shadows etc.

  4. #4
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    4,509
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    521 times
    Just check out some other peoples photos on flickr and see what they are doing. Lots of people just use natural light for boudoir photos. Just use the light to your advantage. See how the light streams in at the good times of day, like late afternoon or early morning. The poses are the important part. A remote trigger would be useful in your situation and they are not expensive. usually you can get one for about $10.

    You have to post pics too or it didnt happen.
    Sony A580 and Sony A200 DSLR + grip
    Sigma 10-20 f3.5; Sigma 17-50mm f2.8; Sigma: 70-210mmF2.8 APO;
    Minolta 50mm F1.7
    Sony HVL-42AM Flash

    My Flickr

  5. #5
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,262
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2051 times
    Paging gsgary.... gsgary....
    DiskoJoe likes this.
    USAGANI.COM - FACEBOOK
    5D3, 5D2, 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 35 f/1.4L, 50 f/1.4, Minolta 58 f/1.2, Tamron 90 f/2.8 macro, 135 f/2L
    Fuji x100s

  6. #6
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    4,509
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    521 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwettylens View Post
    Paging gsgary.... gsgary....
    he would totally come do the shoot for free.
    Sony A580 and Sony A200 DSLR + grip
    Sigma 10-20 f3.5; Sigma 17-50mm f2.8; Sigma: 70-210mmF2.8 APO;
    Minolta 50mm F1.7
    Sony HVL-42AM Flash

    My Flickr

  7. #7
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chesterfield UK
    Posts
    12,366
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1795 times
    Quote Originally Posted by keljbj View Post
    Thanks for your reply I do have a tripod, its not a Manfrotto but its a reasonably decent one I guess i'm more unsure of how to get the effects that i want, mainly soft skin tones, artistic shadows etc.
    Here's some i shot for the barmaid in my local, i will have to post a link NSFW

    http://gsgary.smugmug.com/People/Tin...80_DoiKh-L.jpg

    http://gsgary.smugmug.com/People/Tin...79_cxzyk-L.jpg

    http://gsgary.smugmug.com/People/Tin...19_VHea5-L.jpg
    DiskoJoe and jwbryson1 like this.

  8. #8
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    2,283
    My Gallery
    (12)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    342 times
    Look at the images gsgary linked to get some ideas to start you off.

    Its not so much outright in your face sexuality but the implication or the promise of sex to come if your nice. Gsgary's images has lighting that is a little harsher than the traditional boudoir look but it still works. Why? Because the sex is not in your face with all the naughty bits boldly exposed for examination.

    Self shots are probably the most difficult type of portraiture to do well. It's very easy to see and criticize our faults and overlook our positives. Every person is attractive, the photographer's job in boudoir is to bring that out without being too obvious. The suggestion of asking a female photographer is not a bad one. If you don't have the funds for a professional then ask a friend, even if she is just there to help you out with your flash or your camera it's someone with a different set of eyes.

    Have fun with this. Wear loose clothing before the shoot. Buy one or two pieces of new lingerie to make yourself feel special.

    And.........

    No matter what shwetty says, you don't have to share with the rest of us.
    Nikon Stuff

  9. #9
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    419
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrice View Post
    Have fun with this. Wear loose clothing before the shoot. Buy one or two pieces of new lingerie to make yourself feel special.
    Very important information that most do not think about when im shooting new ladies. Tight clothing will leave imprints in your skin for quite a while after you disrobe. So plan for that ahead of time, and I see no problem with you attempting this yourself altho it may take much longer than it would for someone else to take them for you. As stated, have fun it's an interesting and challenging project but im sure they will turn out fine.
    Studiojoe <-- My Page, Like it.

  10. #10
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chesterfield UK
    Posts
    12,366
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1795 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrice
    Look at the images gsgary linked to get some ideas to start you off.

    Its not so much outright in your face sexuality but the implication or the promise of sex to come if your nice. Gsgary's images has lighting that is a little harsher than the traditional boudoir look but it still works. Why? Because the sex is not in your face with all the naughty bits boldly exposed for examination.

    Self shots are probably the most difficult type of portraiture to do well. It's very easy to see and criticize our faults and overlook our positives. Every person is attractive, the photographer's job in boudoir is to bring that out without being too obvious. The suggestion of asking a female photographer is not a bad one. If you don't have the funds for a professional then ask a friend, even if she is just there to help you out with your flash or your camera it's someone with a different set of eyes.

    Have fun with this. Wear loose clothing before the shoot. Buy one or two pieces of new lingerie to make yourself feel special.

    And.........

    No matter what shwetty says, you don't have to share with the rest of us.
    Ring flash on those shots

  11. #11
    TPF Noob!
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    17
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DiskoJoe View Post
    Just check out some other peoples photos on flickr and see what they are doing. Lots of people just use natural light for boudoir photos. Just use the light to your advantage. See how the light streams in at the good times of day, like late afternoon or early morning. The poses are the important part. A remote trigger would be useful in your situation and they are not expensive. usually you can get one for about $10.

    You have to post pics too or it didnt happen.
    That last sentence there was unnecessary.

    I just did some of these for my husband, and although they didn't turn out near as good as the ones that I did for a friend of mine before her wedding... they weren't bad. I found that focusing in the correct place and setting the timer made it very difficult to get the types of photos that I wanted. I had to do a decent amount of post-processing to get the lighting effects I wanted because it was simply becoming too time consuming trying to get exactly what I wanted doing self-portraits. A remote would be nice for this. If you have an external flash on the hot shoe mount you could bounce flash off a white wall or poster for nice lighting effects... or off a tan wall for a warmer look. Desk lamps in low light rooms also give a nice warm look.

  12. #12
    TPF Noob!
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    10
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you so much, you've all given me some great ideas to start off with I wouldn't have thought about wearing loose clothes before i start, i will be doing the school run first so i probably would have stuck my usual skinny jeans etc on and then been annoyed with the ankle marks lol. I do have a wired trigger, hopefully the wire will be long enough that i can press the button and have enough time to throw it out of shot before the timer sets off lol. Wish i'd gone for a wireless one now but didn't really think i'd use it much so went for the cheaper option :/

    gsgary, those shots are fab! I have now been out and got myself a string of faux pearls as i love the shot where she is biting them I'd love to get a friend here to help me, but sadly all of my female friends work when i have the opportunity (i.e no children in the house!), so i really am all on my own in this. I'm excited though, i just hope i can do myself justice!

  13. #13
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,262
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2051 times
    USAGANI.COM - FACEBOOK
    5D3, 5D2, 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 35 f/1.4L, 50 f/1.4, Minolta 58 f/1.2, Tamron 90 f/2.8 macro, 135 f/2L
    Fuji x100s

  14. #14
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chesterfield UK
    Posts
    12,366
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1795 times
    Quote Originally Posted by keljbj
    Thank you so much, you've all given me some great ideas to start off with I wouldn't have thought about wearing loose clothes before i start, i will be doing the school run first so i probably would have stuck my usual skinny jeans etc on and then been annoyed with the ankle marks lol. I do have a wired trigger, hopefully the wire will be long enough that i can press the button and have enough time to throw it out of shot before the timer sets off lol. Wish i'd gone for a wireless one now but didn't really think i'd use it much so went for the cheaper option :/

    gsgary, those shots are fab! I have now been out and got myself a string of faux pearls as i love the shot where she is biting them I'd love to get a friend here to help me, but sadly all of my female friends work when i have the opportunity (i.e no children in the house!), so i really am all on my own in this. I'm excited though, i just hope i can do myself justice!
    I could pretend to be gay for the day and come and shoot you if that helps

  15. #15
    TPF Noob!
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    10
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gsgary View Post
    I could pretend to be gay for the day and come and shoot you if that helps
    Thats a long way to drive just to come and camp it up for my benefit

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. First boudoir shoot. Tell me what you think.
    By Kbarredo in forum People Photography
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 07:46 AM
  2. my first boudoir shoot.
    By 12sndsgood in forum People Photography
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 10:09 PM
  3. First boudoir shoot! (NSFW)
    By MissCream in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 09:56 AM
  4. First Boudoir Shoot-- CC, please!
    By pkae1989 in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 10:49 AM
  5. Self boudoir shoot? Possible?
    By mrshaleyberg in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Search tags for this page

boudoir
,
boudoir diy photography
,
boudoir photography diy
,

diy boudoir

,

diy boudoir photo shoot

,

diy boudoir photography

,

diy boudoir photos

,
diy boudoir pictures
,
diy boudoir poses
,
diy boudoir shoot
Click on a term to search for related topics.