TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    4 times

Question picture numbering

Hey gang,

As most of you know, I finally got a DSLR, but I have a question that I couldn't seem to find in the manual:

The day I got it, I loaded the CF card and formatted it. Then I took some pics, and deleted some pics in the camera. The next day I took some more pics, and finally, I got around to pulling the card out and downloading them onto my computer via an external card reader.

When I put it back in the camera, I decided to reformat it (mostly for fun, but I have a book that says you should always reformat everytime you download pics.

Anyway, I went out shooting on Sunday, and when I downloaded the pics last night, I noticed that the numbers started over at 0001.

I thought that this was something in the camera, and not the card. Does anyone know what's going on? It's not really a big deal except when I go to archive--and even then it's not really a big deal because I archive in folders, but it's still got me confused.

Thanks.
    -----
    Jo Cose
    Visit my photoblog: Skewed Views
    Visit my blog: Musings of Jo Cose

Damn You! Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (13)
    Liked
    5 times
    I believe that once you format a card, your effectively wiping back to factory conditions so your pics will always start from 0001 again. If you delete the pics individually then the count up will continue. You can do it this way but its always best to occasionally format to free up your card completely. I just make new folders within folders to archive stuff. Hope this helps.

No longer a newbie, moving up!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    You didn't mention just which camera you have, so giving camera-specific help is out ....

But, there should be a menu item to set how you want photos numbered. You should be able to set it so that it "resets" everytime you seat a CF card in it (and that's what it sounds like it's doing now); or to have it continue to number sequentially no matter what happens.

Your manual should have that info in it ....

Sorry I can't be of any more help ....

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    I believe that once you format a card, your effectively wiping back to factory conditions so your pics will always start from 0001 again. If you delete the pics individually then the count up will continue. You can do it this way but its always best to occasionally format to free up your card completely. I just make new folders within folders to archive stuff. Hope this helps.
    Thanks. Yea, it helps. Like I said, I guess I always assumed that the numbering was in the camera and not the card.

it's no biggie. I use iPhoto, and it dumps the pics into folders according to year, month, and date. I was originally going to burn things to CD in that same way, but I discovered that if just copy and paste the pics to the CD, I can actually get more on.

Anyway, thanks for the comment
    -----
    Jo Cose

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cecilc
    You didn't mention just which camera you have, so giving camera-specific help is out ....

But, there should be a menu item to set how you want photos numbered. You should be able to set it so that it "resets" everytime you seat a CF card in it (and that's what it sounds like it's doing now); or to have it continue to number sequentially no matter what happens.

Your manual should have that info in it ....

Sorry I can't be of any more help ....
    Thanks for the note. Sorry...I forgot to mention it. I just got a Nikon D70s. I couldn't find it in the manual, but I will look again. What you say makes sense.

Thanks.
    -----
    Jo Cose

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    I use a Canon 20D and there is an option in the camera to reset the numbering everytime you format the card or to be continuous. I have mine set to continuous and it doesn't matter which card i use or if i format it - the numbers continue from the previous one...every time
    Last edited by darich; 02-07-2006 at 10:18 AM.

www.darich.co.uk
    Canon 5D
    Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | Canon 50mm f1.8 MKII | Canon 24-70 f2.8L USM | Canon 70-200 f2.8L USM
    Canon 15mm fisheye | Canon 100-400 IS f4.5-5.6L USM | Canon 2x Teleconverter
    Wolverine FlashPac 80gb | Wolverine 120gb Media Player | 1 x 4gb Lexar card | 2 x 1gb SanDisk Ultra II | 2 x 1gb SanDisk Extreme III | 2 x 2gb SanDisk Ultra II

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    4 times
    Hey thanks again. I just found the manual online, and did a search for "numbering." I found the option, and the default is to reset the numbers each time the card is formatted. I will change this as soon as I get home!

Thanks agian everyone.
    -----
    Jo Cose

Ads