Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    have kiwi, will travel...
    My Gallery
    (3)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    3 times

Flashing someone, whats the best way to do it? ;)

I am a bit of a numbskull when it comes to using a flash, when i have used it, the subjects where either too far in the distance for it to take effect or the brightness washes out the detials of there face. I know it'll take a bit of practice using it properly, but what are some good tips when you decide to use a flash?

I use a canon d10 by the way.

Also, though this could be a complete seperate thread, any ideas for using a flash creatively?

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    2 times
    Have you read the manual? The 10D has a couple of options. First, you can always control the flash compensation level. I do this almost always when using the flash. You can also set it to send out a little pre-flash flash that measures the intensity and adjusts automatically.
    Gone.

My Gallery
    (3)
    Liked
    3 times
    Have you read the manual?
    I lost my manual when i moved to my new place but of course i should see if could download it from the canon website somewhere 'doh!'

))<>((
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1 times
    I usually just lift up my shirt when I want to flash someone.
    Nikon D70, Minolta X-7A, Yashicamat 124G

"Every person, all the events of your life, are there because you have drawn them there. What you choose to do with them is up to you." ---Richard Bach

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Flashing someone, whats the best way to do it?
    Wow! When I first saw the title to this thread I had an overwhelming desire to head off to the Mardi Gras.

If you can't find a manual for your 10D, I can scan the appropriate pages from mine and PM them to you.
    I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

My Gallery
    (3)
    Liked
    3 times
    I usually just lift up my shirt when I want to flash someone.
    actually thats not a bad idea, i am so pale i glow in the dark. I am a walking light source! Screw the flash!

If you can't find a manual for your 10D, I can scan the appropriate pages from mine and PM them to you.
    oh thanks for the offer.. i was going to tidy up my apartment to see if i can find it, if i can't - i'll message ya!

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (98)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vonnagy
    Have you read the manual?
    I lost my manual when i moved to my new place but of course i should see if could download it from the canon website somewhere 'doh!'
    My Spanish version is still in shrink rap, you can have it if you pay for the shipping.

But on the other hand you can download a PDF copy at
    http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/.../EOS_10D_E.pdf
    jeffjarboe.com : PBase : Webshots : Fisheye Shots : PM Me 2 Buy Or Trade Prints

Criticism & Comments Are Always Welcome

work in progress
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1 times
    Read the Manual! Tip# 96 from Practical Photography's 101 Ways to Better Photos!

Yes, I'm just spammin' for my website. :P
    the only one around here who is me
    is me

Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still a stud!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    13 times
    I don't know much about the 10D, except that it's digital (and doesn't that mean that you could shoot away endlessly until you get a feel for flash photography?), so my first question is are you using a real flash or the puny little wimpy flash that they like to build into SLRs these days? As you might be able to tell, I don't have much confidence in the pop-up flashes. I think of them sort of like the little do-nut spare tire; nice in an emergency, but not what you want to drive on everyday.

Whatever flash you are using, it has a "guide number". The guide number is listed in either ISO 100/ft. or ISO 100/meters, whatever you're more comfy with. If you don't have the flash manual, then get it off the manufacturer's website.

GN divided by flash to subject distance (in feet or meters) equals aperture for "correct" exposure (at ISO 100).

So if your GN is 80 (ISO 100/ft) and your flash to subject distance is 20 ft. then the correct aperture would be f/4. If you are using ISO 400 it would be f/8. If your subject is 5 ft away (at ISO 100) then f/16.

Some folks like to underexpose the fill flash by a stop or so, compared to the background. Some folks like to do it the other way (background under exposed a stop or so, compared to subject exposure). Try them both out; each one gives a different look to the image. You got that fancy 10D, embrace the power of digital and practice, practice, practice!!!
    "There's no particular class of photograph that I think is any better than any other class. I'm always and forever looking for the image that has spirit! I don't give a damn how it got made." -Minor White

http://www.henrypeach.com
    http://www.mattneedham.com

I am now benign! Site Administrator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (19)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by photogoddess

Wow! When I first saw the title to this thread I had an overwhelming desire to head off to the Mardi Gras.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." - Mark Twain

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    I want my beads!
    I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

MDowdey
    Quote Originally Posted by photogoddess
    I want my beads!
    i love you.

md

Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still a stud!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    13 times
    I should have added that it's important to test the accuracy of what the manufacturer says is the GN. Many times I find that the flash doesn't quite perform up to the manufacturer's claims.

Don't expect miracles from you flash. Beyond 20' to 25' you are pushing the limits of lighting ability of most consumer flashes. Even though the manual and GN suggest that flash photography out to 60' or 70' is totally possible, reality is often less practical.

I always use a flash when it's very dark and when it's very bright. The dark is obvious. I use the flash in the bright daylight to eliminate dark shadows. Both film and digital will capture much greater contrast than it appears to your eye. You have no problem seeing Uncle Bob's eyes under his baseball cap, but the pics turn out with an almost solid black shadow on his face. I turn folks so that the sun is behind and off to one side of them using it as sort of a hairlight, and then use the flash to light the face/body.
    "There's no particular class of photograph that I think is any better than any other class. I'm always and forever looking for the image that has spirit! I don't give a damn how it got made." -Minor White

http://www.henrypeach.com
    http://www.mattneedham.com

Administrator TPF Editor
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (54)
    Liked
    1050 times
    I love Mr. Nagy because of his ability to get a serious answer while enticing our slutty minds into the gutter - all in one thread.

Hats off to you sir!

(not my shirt, though, baby - keep dreamin') :P

Beaten Path Photography

Site updated at last!

3) Recognize that if you're not part of the solution, you're likely part of the problem - whatever you perceive it to be.

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    the 10Ds build-in pop-up flash is useable for fill-in if you reduce it by
    a few stops. Otherwise it's pretty much useless...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads