TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times

Best 2 lenses for Canon 7D

Hello,

was wondering what would be the best 2 canon lenses to get for my newly acquired Canon 7d, regardless of budget...

i mainly shoot outdoors, portraits, nature, occasional indoor...

i am looking at those lenses:

- one standard range (i.e. 18mm or 25mm to around 70mm)
    - one telephoto zoom ( i.e 70mm to either 200mm or 300 mm)

any suggestions?

thanks

TPF Junkie!
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    351 times
    24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8. If the 24 end isnt wide enough Maybe the 16-35?

has a hat around here somewhere Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2497 times
    Regardless of budget?

Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L MII is the best you can get in that range (excluding primes and honestly its darn close in quality to them). Couple that with a 1.4TC and 2*TC for nature work (depending on how much reach you want and what you define as "nature"). A 1.4Tc would be pretty standard for normal use as well, a little more reach with almost no loss of performance.

Shorter I can't specifically say - 24-70mm f2.8 is common and there is a MII of that out sometime this year (very high cost). However for the crop sensor there are a few other options to consider if you want a wide reach at the wide angle end (many find 24mm isn't quite enough for some situations on crop sensor).

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    69 times
    Without a budget constraint, I'd hold out for the 24-70 Mark II later this year and go with the 16-35 Mark II right now. You won't have any corner softness problems thanks to the smaller sensor. Pair these guys with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, and you're good to go.

However, if you have such a deep pocket, why not get the 5D Mark III? It creams the 7D in every way.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III with BG-E11 Grip | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art | Speedlite 580EX II
    flickr
    and My Portfolio on 500px

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    2723 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBiles View Post
    However, if you have such a deep pocket, why not get the 5D Mark III? It creams the 7D in every way.
    Because good glass trumps a good body. A 5D3 is next to useless if they don't have solid glass to put in front of the sensor.
    Click above to visit my new site
    Maine Wedding and Portrait Photographer

Dao
    TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    331 times
    Why limited to 2 lenses?

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks for your feedback guys, answers:

- @TheBiles: "why not get the 5D Mark III": i've been saving to buy a high end camera but received as a present the 7d. From the reviews i read, it seems to be an excellent camera, so i am gonna keep it and invest the saved money in lenses. and i don't have a "a deep pocket" :-) i just consider since i'm going to buy a lens, let me buy the best... (get one very good, instead of 2 average lenses... the second one will come later...)

- @overhead: "1.4TC and 2*TC " i am sorry i don't know what are these... can you give me model numbers i can look up plz?

- @Dao: "Why limited to 2 lenses?" i don't understand....clarify your thoughts please... i'm not gonna buy 20 lenses lol...

has a hat around here somewhere Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2497 times
    Quote Originally Posted by karimmaalouf View Post
    - @overhead: "1.4TC and 2*TC " i am sorry i don't know what are these... can you give me model numbers i can look up plz?
    No problem - TC stands for teleconverter - the 1.4Teleconverter from Canon has two versions, the newer MIII and the older MII on the market (the much older MI versions are still out there, but are not the best investment now). The 2* teleconverter, likewise, sold in MII and MIII versions.
    The MIII are the superior, though in the case of the 1.4TC the difference is very minor and even the 2*TC the differences are not night and day. The big advantage of the MIII over the MII is improved AF performance, but only with select supertelephoto lenses which start with the 300mm f2.8 IS L MII and longer newer lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by karimmaalouf View Post
    - @Dao: "Why limited to 2 lenses?" i don't understand....clarify your thoughts please... i'm not gonna buy 20 lenses lol...
    Lenses should not be bought because they are "good"; instead they should be bought because they fill a specific requirement and shooting style of the photographer using them. Starting out this can be hard to discern because the criteria require real world experience to sort through. However a better way to go about lens purchases and lets one build a system around what they need, not just around generalist tools.

No longer a newbie, moving up!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2 times
    EF-S17-55 f/2.8 IS, EF70-200 f/4L IS

These two are standouts. Both produce amazing results.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1935 times
    Quote Originally Posted by o hey tyler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBiles View Post
    Because good glass trumps a good body. A 5D3 is next to useless if they don't have solid glass to put in front of the sensor.
    IF OP HAS DEEP POCKETS.
    Your honest C&C is always welcome and appreciated. For those with such interests: My Gear
    "Photography's never been merely about photographing what you could see; it's always been about photographing what you wanted to see." ~ Ctein
    Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1935 times
    When I need W I D E on a crop sensor (my 7D or 40D), I reach for my 10-22mm.
    Your honest C&C is always welcome and appreciated. For those with such interests: My Gear
    "Photography's never been merely about photographing what you could see; it's always been about photographing what you wanted to see." ~ Ctein
    Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!

Been spending a lot of time on here!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckster
    When I need W I D E on a crop sensor (my 7D or 40D), I reach for my 10-22mm.
    I love my 10-22 on my 7D. A great lens for the money.
    Probably too much kit for someone of my limited ability. Main camera is a 5D MKIII

Ads