Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: canon scams? I REALLY want the Canon 60D!

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (2)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    499 times
    Try keh.com, don't let "bargains" cloud you judgement.
    Make love not Warcraft.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    919 times
    These guys sound like "Digital Depot Online". On other forums there are threads dedicated to their scams.

When I'm spending that kind of money, there's a point where I'm not willing to risk a scam in order to save a little. A 60D is $899 for the "body only" version... pretty much at every legitimate (Canon authorized) dealer.

You can buy a "refurbished" body either direct from Canon's online website ( Canon Direct Store - Refurbished EOS Digital SLR Cameras ) and I think both B&H Photo and Adorama also have a "refurbished" option. Refurbished cameras have warranties but usually not for the same amount of time as a new camera. Also keep in mind that you can get the "USA" vs. "imported" version. There is no difference in the camera (they're all made overseas). The difference is the warranty. Cameras marked for "USA" have gone through proper import channels and Canon backs them with the factory warranty. Cameras NOT marked "USA" (usually it'll say "imported") mean that it was imported through gray market to save a little, but Canon won't provide the warranty -- sometimes the store will offer the warranty but that means you can ONLY get it serviced at the store where you bought it.
    luvmyfamily likes this.
    Tim Campbell

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    70 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post
    4 more $100 photoshoots would get you there.
    Or 8 $50 shoots.
    Or 16 $25 shoots.

Throw up that Facebook page!

Just sayin'.
    Bitter, I do not charge....yet, not ready. It just takes time, right? I do have a fb page, but no business cards, not ready for biz yet. I haven't made a dime off any of the photo's taken. OH, I take that back! I made $1.40! I ordered prints for someone and they told me to keep the change WHOO HOO!!!

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    70 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TCampbell View Post
    These guys sound like "Digital Depot Online". On other forums there are threads dedicated to their scams.

When I'm spending that kind of money, there's a point where I'm not willing to risk a scam in order to save a little. A 60D is $899 for the "body only" version... pretty much at every legitimate (Canon authorized) dealer.

You can buy a "refurbished" body either direct from Canon's online website ( Canon Direct Store - Refurbished EOS Digital SLR Cameras ) and I think both B&H Photo and Adorama also have a "refurbished" option. Refurbished cameras have warranties but usually not for the same amount of time as a new camera. Also keep in mind that you can get the "USA" vs. "imported" version. There is no difference in the camera (they're all made overseas). The difference is the warranty. Cameras marked for "USA" have gone through proper import channels and Canon backs them with the factory warranty. Cameras NOT marked "USA" (usually it'll say "imported") mean that it was imported through gray market to save a little, but Canon won't provide the warranty -- sometimes the store will offer the warranty but that means you can ONLY get it serviced at the store where you bought it.
    I am officially scared, so sticking with who I trust!! This is why I made this post, wanted to make sure. I even read lots of compliant boards on sites like this.

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    71 times
    How about skipping the kit lens to save? What lenses do you have now? I got it with my 60d and I never use it

Oh and I bought refurbs directly from Canon. I think it was $1050 total but that was last June, not sure on the prices now.

EDL
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post

Sarcasm? Really?

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    4926 times
    Really.

Go ahead and put me on your ignore list.
    mjhoward likes this.

EDL
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times
    Wow dude. Don't even know you, nor you me. What gives?

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EDL View Post
    Wow dude. Don't even know you, nor you me. What gives?
    He's Bitter... and proud of it!
    Nikon D7000, Nikon MB-D11, Nikkor 28mm f/3.5, Nikkor 55 f/2.8 Micro, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Tokina 16-50 f/2.8, Tokina 50-135 f/2.8,
    Slik
    580DX, Domke F-2 & F-5XB,(3) Nikon SB-28 & SB-600, Yongnuo RF-602, Hoya 77mm CPOL

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (4)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    231 times
    As mentioned above, it's far safer to spend a couple extra dollars with "real" dealers than internet dealers that specialize in scams, high-pressure sales, etc.

When seeing one of these unbelievable prices for what I'm looking for, I unconditionally Google "xxx reviews", where xxx is the website name such as "super photo deals" etc. After reading the reviews of many of them, I'm astounded their website hadn't been closed down yet.

On the flip side, I bought my 60D just before Christmas from just such a site. I did my homework first, and found they really did have an address/store in NYC (A REQUIREMENT in my book!). As I live in Massachusetts, I figured I could always drive there if there to resolve a problem. The online reviews all said to expect the phone call the day after your online order and sure enough I got the expected "buy the 8 hour battery instead of the standard 2 hour battery, buy memory cards, etc." I just turned down all their offers. Two very-nervous -WEEKS- later, I got my camera...new, unopened, factory fresh, USA version. I've since given my business to B&H. Order before 4, I get it next day in MA!

So, as "Dirty Harry" said so sucinctly: "Do you feel lucky?"

Banned
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1276 times
    I do business withe spare few online companies these days. It's just too easy to run a convincing scam.

For photo equipment, if I'm not buying locally (which I really prefer to do), I'm going through B&H. That's not to impugn the other legitimate outfits out there (Adorama, KEH, etc), but I just prefer to go through B&H.

Also, the old adage always holds true: If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

It's hard to put a price on peace of mind...

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    69 times
    +20 for the 7D. I initially went with the 60D only to be let down. Finally got a 7D and never looked back. Highly superior camera.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III with BG-E11 Grip | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art | Speedlite 580EX II
    flickr
    and My Portfolio on 500px

No longer a newbie, moving up!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Have been very happy with 60d as an upgrade from a t1i. Although it is not part of same lineage of d series(plastic body, no pc port, etc) it is still a decent camera with good iq comparatively. I personally need a second body and would like to get a 7d. Would like to see more evidence of canon coming out with something in between a t4i and the mark iii.

Been spending a lot of time on here!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    35 times
    I'd go with the 60d over the 7d any day any way.
    ig. probe_rok.
    fb. proberok.
    get money.
    be creative.
    live life.

Been spending a lot of time on here!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    35 times
    Buy it used off Craigslist. I got my 60d body for 750.
    ig. probe_rok.
    fb. proberok.
    get money.
    be creative.
    live life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads