Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Has anyone heard of a Canon Camera "A"?

Mr. Rain Cloud
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    9692 times
    Thanks for the laugh! That is absolutely hilarious! That same basic cheap "focus free" 35mm camera has been around for quite some time. It's a really amusing fake. Goodwill seems to be the repository for most of the similar cameras of that type, typically with a $1 price tag, $2 if the flash is with it.

I think it'd make a fine start to a Canon camera collection, what with that focus free lens and all.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (11)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigwoo View Post
    This is it. ... Also included was a very large vintage Kogaku zoom lens in its own leather case.
    I think you'll find that this is not a Canon product and that it was not made in Japan. Its a simple plastic box camera: fixed focus (aka "focus free"), simple optical VF, ... . All of the "Canon" labeling is fraudulent.

BTW, "Kogaku" is not a brand; it is simple a Japanese word that means, roughly, "optical" or "optical company". It does appear in may of the older names of camera companies such a Nikon's old name "Nippon Kogaku" with simply meant "Japanese Optical Co."
    --------
    Dwig
    happythursday.com

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Apologies Dwig, that was bad communication on my part as I was trying to do 2 things at once.... The extra lens that was taped to the outside of the fake camera case is a Topcon Topcor Super..... I knew right away it was from an earlier era due to the character on the old leather lens case it was in. And then of couse the lens itself just looked far higher in quality than the camera.
    I returned the fake canon this aft but hung onto the lens
    http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...w/IMG_1258.jpg

I figure no harm no foul on that since it wasn't priced separately and can't be used w/ the canon imposter anyways.... Guessing 1960's and rarely if ever used on the lens.
    Last edited by thebigwoo; 12-28-2009 at 06:15 PM.

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    i know im a couple years late to reply but i own one of this cameras and its not for kids my dad bought it for me and recently gave it to me and it is an excellent camera

No longer a newbie, moving up!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    2 times
    WAIT You might check on Ebay as "toy" cameras are all the rage with LOMO people and you might be able to make your money back and then some. Run a roll through it and see what happens. If it's soft/fuzzy and has a mild light leak or two you might have struck gold! If not get your money back because that's camera won't cut it for nature photography in the mountains.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1003 times
    Reckon it allows less stray light in than a new Mark III?
    Crollo likes this.
    D800 |Nikon 24-70 | Nikon 70-200 VRII | 50mm f/1.4 | Manfrotto | pocketwizards | flashes

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (15)
    Liked
    105 times
    I saw one of these being offered for sale on a local online site a while ago. Either the seller didn't know what he had or was passing along something he got by being scammed. I've seen other similar ones with either other camera brand names or generic names. Its a simple point and shoot film camera.

I'm pretty sure Canon did not license their name for use on this toy camera!

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    272 times
    Also produced with the "Olympia" name (hoping to be confused with Olympus I presume). Lots of 'em on eBay at all different prices but few, if any, buyers.

Mr. Rain Cloud
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    9692 times
    Quote Originally Posted by compur View Post
    Also produced with the "Olympia" name (hoping to be confused with Olympus I presume). Lots of 'em on eBay at all different prices but few, if any, buyers.
    I've heard the images these make are comparable to those that are made with middle- and higher-end Canon and Olympus film cameras...provided the user exercises good shooting fundamentals (ie. tripod, cable release, allowing vibrations to quell r triggering the shot,etc,etc.) and has a good sense of humor...but then I dunno...I do not know of anybody still shooting film with an Oly or a Canon...
    "It's about time people started taking photography seriously, and treating it as a hobby." Elliott Erwitt

My most recent photos posted to TPF http://www.pbase.com/derrel/recent_tpf_uploads&page=all

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ads