Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Does anybody use a tablet like this one for editing photos?

  1. #1
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,289
    My Gallery
    (5)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    951 times

    Does anybody use a tablet like this one for editing photos?

    These are the tablets I'm referring to: wacom tablet| B&H Photo Video

    I have heard they make PP much easier than using a mouse, for example.

    Does anybody have / use one of these and find them worthwhile?

    Do you need an expensive one to get your money's worth?

    Thoughts?

    Thanks for reading...
    Do unto others as you'd have done unto you.
    Jesus



    My Flickr



  2. #2
    I am Big, I am Mike Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    33,436
    My Gallery
    (111)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1659 times
    Yes, Yes and Yes. Tablets (especially Wacom) are a great tool for photo editing. Many people that I've talked to, actually prefer them as a mouse replacement for most things, but I only use mine for photo editing.

    It's especially good for anything involve a type of brush tool. So cloning/healing in Lightroom or Photoshop, any sort of drawing or painting in Photoshop CS etc.

    On of the best things about them, is they (the pens) are pressure sensitive and you can set that pressure to different variables like the size of the brush, or the flow, density etc.

    I have a small one, I wish I had a larger one, although I don't know where I'd put it on my desk.

  3. #3
    I am Big, I am Mike Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    33,436
    My Gallery
    (111)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1659 times

  4. #4
    Watch the Birdy! Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island, BC
    Posts
    24,462
    My Gallery
    (28)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    5727 times
    Couldn't live without mine!

  5. #5
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    3,667
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    551 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbryson1 View Post
    These are the tablets I'm referring to: wacom tablet| B&H Photo Video

    I have heard they make PP much easier than using a mouse, for example.

    Does anybody have / use one of these and find them worthwhile?

    Do you need an expensive one to get your money's worth?

    Thoughts?

    Thanks for reading...
    So, PP≠crap?
    Benco and ratssass like this.

  6. #6
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colebrook, NH
    Posts
    836
    My Gallery
    (1)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    171 times
    I use a bamboo tablet, made by wacom, I don't use it all the time but for more extensive work, it is very useful, took me a little bit of time to get used to it, but now I find it much more efficient than the computer mouse.
    MiFleur
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It's not what you look at, it's what you see...

    My own personal favorites on flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mifleur...7630064690810/

  7. #7
    I am Big, I am Mike Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    33,436
    My Gallery
    (111)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1659 times
    And if you really want to get into something that is 'next level', Check out the Qacom Cintiq series.
    Cintiq 24HD touch Pen Display

  8. #8
    Birdographer
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,369
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1303 times
    No but my wife and kids use a big tablet it's called windows 8
    Canon 6D
    Canon 60D
    Canon 18-55 F/3.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon 70-200mm F/4L IS
    Sigma 150-500mm F/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
    http://500px.com/darkshadow1911

  9. #9
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,289
    My Gallery
    (5)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    951 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KenC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbryson1 View Post
    These are the tablets I'm referring to: wacom tablet| B&H Photo Video

    I have heard they make PP much easier than using a mouse, for example.

    Does anybody have / use one of these and find them worthwhile?

    Do you need an expensive one to get your money's worth?

    Thoughts?

    Thanks for reading...
    So, PP≠crap?
    Misquote.

    Try this next time...
    Do unto others as you'd have done unto you.
    Jesus



    My Flickr

  10. #10
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,289
    My Gallery
    (5)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    951 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    On of the best things about them, is they (the pens) are pressure sensitive and you can set that pressure to different variables like the size of the brush, or the flow, density etc.
    How does this work? So you set the sensitivity for "hard press" means the brush gets bigger and "soft press" and it gets smaller, etc? That has to take some getting used to I would think.
    Do unto others as you'd have done unto you.
    Jesus



    My Flickr

  11. #11
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    3,667
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    551 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbryson1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KenC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbryson1 View Post
    These are the tablets I'm referring to: wacom tablet| B&H Photo Video

    I have heard they make PP much easier than using a mouse, for example.

    Does anybody have / use one of these and find them worthwhile?

    Do you need an expensive one to get your money's worth?

    Thoughts?

    Thanks for reading...
    So, PP≠crap?
    Misquote.

    Try this next time...
    Not an attempt at a quote - just a question inspired by the one you posed in your other thread

  12. #12
    TPF Noob!
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
    Posts
    6
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah i used Windows 8 Tab...

  13. #13
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,289
    My Gallery
    (5)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    951 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KenC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbryson1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KenC View Post

    So, PP≠crap?
    Misquote.

    Try this next time...
    Not an attempt at a quote - just a question inspired by the one you posed in your other thread

    Just hazing you. I think PP is fine. My only point was the less you have to crop, the better your image is likely to be because (1) you will probably spend more time composing and (2) when you crop you magnify bad pixels or OOF portions of the photo. That's all.
    Do unto others as you'd have done unto you.
    Jesus



    My Flickr

  14. #14
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Suffolk, Va
    Posts
    1,304
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    560 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbryson1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    On of the best things about them, is they (the pens) are pressure sensitive and you can set that pressure to different variables like the size of the brush, or the flow, density etc.
    How does this work? So you set the sensitivity for "hard press" means the brush gets bigger and "soft press" and it gets smaller, etc? That has to take some getting used to I would think.
    Essentially yes. That is actually how they are set up by default. a light press makes the brush smaller, regular pressure gives you the full size brush. Personally, I couldn't imagine working without one. I use the tablet for everything, even surfing the web. I've even been tempted to trade in my Intuos 3 for the new 5 just to be able to put the buttons on the right side of the tablet (I'm a lefty).

    One really cool thing about being a lefty and using a tablet; you can use the pen and the mouse at the same time. This makes brush work in Lr super fast as I can use the scroll wheel on the mouse to adjust the brush size as I'm using the brush.
    VanillaImaging"Vacuous images for the vapid consumer"
    500px

    flickr
    Tumblr

  15. #15
    I am Big, I am Mike Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    33,436
    My Gallery
    (111)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1659 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbryson1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    On of the best things about them, is they (the pens) are pressure sensitive and you can set that pressure to different variables like the size of the brush, or the flow, density etc.
    How does this work? So you set the sensitivity for "hard press" means the brush gets bigger and "soft press" and it gets smaller, etc? That has to take some getting used to I would think.
    It's pretty intuitive. It's sort of like drawing with a soft felt tip pen, or maybe even a paint brush. If you are drawing a line, the harder you press, the wider the line gets. And for those of us who are older than 25 or 30, holding a pen is still probably more natural feeling than using a mouse.

    I've never felt comfortable enough to completely replace my mouse. Mostly because I have a small 'Bamboo' tablet that is just too small and also because as a CAD designer, I use a mouse all day and a pen starts to feel weird.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Good tablet to view photos and more?
    By aguerra.1993 in forum Digital Discussion & Q&A
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 04:54 PM
  2. Anybody want to have a go a editing these photos?
    By Infinite_Day in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 06:46 AM
  3. Anyone use a Tablet/Pen for editing Landscape photos for a PC ??
    By ottor in forum Photography Equipment & Products
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-31-2011, 07:20 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 01:40 PM