Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Minolta XG-M

  1. #1
    Recovering TPF Junkie
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,497
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    440 times

    Minolta XG-M

    Stopped by my grandparents to say hello, ended up with my mom's old Minolta XG-M with a flash and a f/2.8 nifty fifty.


    My arsenal:

    Minolta XG-M
    Nikon FM
    Nikon FG-20


    and some antique cameras.. but these are the SLR's (;



    I haven't yet spent a lot of time with it, but it appears to have a DOF preview, and a light meter. Which I like. Anybody own this camera ?
    TEVwww.trevorwillphoto.com
    _____________
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrel View Post
    Gosh, I thought Exposure Compensation was like Title IX, or the Equal Rights Act....you know, designed as a way to make up for wrongs of the past, and to give disadvantaged exposures compensation for the past history of under-exposures, inflated ISO ratings, and deliberate and willful over-exposures in the face of sidelighting...huh....guess not...we love ya tevo...



  2. #2
    No longer a newbie, moving up!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Western South Dakota
    Posts
    60
    My Gallery
    (5)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    11 times
    The XG-M is a decent camera. I'm not really fond of Minoltas, but if working, it is one to hold on to and enjoy. The goofy shutter button is my personal beef. It is a touch sensitive/moisture sensitive activation and then more mechanical, but really electronic as you push the button to take the picture.

  3. #3
    Recovering TPF Junkie
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,497
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    440 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzingoose View Post
    The XG-M is a decent camera. I'm not really fond of Minoltas, but if working, it is one to hold on to and enjoy. The goofy shutter button is my personal beef. It is a touch sensitive/moisture sensitive activation and then more mechanical, but really electronic as you push the button to take the picture.
    I know \: When I picked up the camera I thought it was broken, because either the film advance was stuck or the shutter wasn't firing. I then read that it was a fully electronic shutter, so I took the batteries out of my FM just to test it and it worked fine. What I do like about it is the preview button, but I can do without that. The FG-20 is all around more usable imo, just because it has a light meter (and i have all nikon stuff, otherwise i would just say the minolta is the most usable). My favorite is still the FM though (:
    TEVwww.trevorwillphoto.com
    _____________
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrel View Post
    Gosh, I thought Exposure Compensation was like Title IX, or the Equal Rights Act....you know, designed as a way to make up for wrongs of the past, and to give disadvantaged exposures compensation for the past history of under-exposures, inflated ISO ratings, and deliberate and willful over-exposures in the face of sidelighting...huh....guess not...we love ya tevo...

  4. #4
    TPF Noob!
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    When I first got my XG-m ten years ago, I panicked the first time that the batteries had run flat because I thought I had broken it too!

  5. #5
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Toronto ON
    Posts
    3,675
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    442 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cutepolkadot View Post
    When I first got my XG-m ten years ago, I panicked the first time that the batteries had run flat because I thought I had broken it too!
    Are you still shooting with it ?

  6. #6
    TPF Noob!
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Yep. Bought a batch of very old coloured film just a few days ago so that I can experiment with some lomography like effects.

  7. #7
    cgw
    cgw is offline
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    581
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    66 times
    They're an OK camera. Minolta optics are underrated. Many Minolta electronic MF cameras had a lethal, baked-in problem with failure-prone capacitors. I've been through two used X-700 bodies that both died inside of a year(X-5xx and X-3xx cameras seem also to be affected). The capacitors can be replaced but with Minolta bodies so cheap...

    Never any trouble with Nikons from the same period.

  8. #8
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Toronto ON
    Posts
    3,675
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    442 times
    Minolta never meant for the cameras to last 40 years. One of my X700 just developed light meter problem, but is firing the shutter fine in manual mode (for the time being).

  9. #9
    cgw
    cgw is offline
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    581
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by timor View Post
    Minolta never meant for the cameras to last 40 years. One of my X700 just developed light meter problem, but is firing the shutter fine in manual mode (for the time being).
    These started failing long ago. Some croaked and others survived. Nice camera but after two died, I called it quits!

    My Nikon FE and F3 bodies made in the early 80s are still going strong.

  10. #10
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Toronto ON
    Posts
    3,675
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    442 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cgw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timor View Post
    Minolta never meant for the cameras to last 40 years. One of my X700 just developed light meter problem, but is firing the shutter fine in manual mode (for the time being).
    These started failing long ago. Some croaked and others survived. Nice camera but after two died, I called it quits!

    My Nikon FE and F3 bodies made in the early 80s are still going strong.
    Thise Nikons are more mechanical, Minoltas srT are also going strong.

  11. #11
    cgw
    cgw is offline
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    581
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by timor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cgw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timor View Post
    Minolta never meant for the cameras to last 40 years. One of my X700 just developed light meter problem, but is firing the shutter fine in manual mode (for the time being).
    These started failing long ago. Some croaked and others survived. Nice camera but after two died, I called it quits!

    My Nikon FE and F3 bodies made in the early 80s are still going strong.
    Thise Nikons are more mechanical, Minoltas srT are also going strong.
    Not really. Just better made. Minolta QC was fading toward the end of the X700 production. Have an SRT 101. Still running.

 

 

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 01:25 PM
  2. Sony/Minolta AF to Minolta MD adapter?
    By OldClicker in forum Beyond the Basics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 07:43 AM
  3. Old minolta lens on newer minolta body
    By mdwozniak in forum Film Discussion and Q & A
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2008, 01:52 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 03:02 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-09-2006, 07:54 AM

Search tags for this page

how to change iso on minolta xg-m
,
minolta is stuck xg-m
,

minolta xg-m

,
minolta xg-m a mode broken
,
minolta xg-m change iso
,
minolta xgm
,
take picture button for minolta xg m
,
xgm minolta shutter stuck
Click on a term to search for related topics.