I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times

considering selling photos at art show

We have this monthly artwalk in downtown Jacksonville here where artists can set up in a park and display and/or sell their artwork. There's usually a really good crowd and it goes from 5-9ish in the evenings. And it's free for everyone.

I want to set up a table with some of my photos and see if I can sell a few of them, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about this.

-What sizes would be best to sell? 8x10?
    -Should they be framed? I was thinking of hitting up some flea markets and 2nd hand stores for cheap frames and mats.
    -Should I offer photos for sale unframed/unmatted too?
    -Is there any way to get my photos printed with a copyright notice or something on the back to help discourage copies? What about if I sold the photos for more $$, assuming the customer may reprint?

Thanks a lot for the help!
    Last edited by molsen; 04-27-2008 at 11:00 AM.
    Body: Nikon D90 & D50
    Glass: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR
    Light: SB-400, Vivitar DF-383, Vivitar 285hv (x2), Sunpak 433 D, Lumiquest SBIII (x2), Cactus V2s wireless triggers
    Flickr
    Blog

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    476 times
    Sell whatever you think works best. I've found that at First Thursday here in Portland which is essentially the same thing, except in downtown and not free for the artists, is that It's common to see a few 20x30's, some 12x18's, alot of 8x12's, and some panoramics.

I suggest just mounting and black matting them for anything smaller than 12x18, it's classy, cheaper, and really only the really big ones should be framed because the matting wouldn't be strong enough to hold the print straight.

Put small price stickers on the images on the back side of the matting. Nobody in Portland charges below about $20-30 for 8x12's.

If you're worried about copying, than write your signature on the print itself in the corner in a thick, archival pen. That's really all you can do, alot of people here in Portland do that and it rarely distracts from the image, unless it's huge, which i've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by sm4him View Post
    What's the difference between an artist and a large pizza?

The pizza can feed a family of four.

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    great advice, thanks man
    Glass: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR
    Light: SB-400, Vivitar DF-383, Vivitar 285hv (x2), Sunpak 433 D, Lumiquest SBIII (x2), Cactus V2s wireless triggers
    Flickr
    Blog

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    my only qualm is that 8x12 is an odd size and hard to buy frames for. won't this turn some people away? even with a 10x14 mat, that's an odd size too
    Flickr
    Blog

JIP
    TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1 times
    Well first of all you can frame a 8x12 in a 11x14 matte but 8x12 frames are alot more common than you may think. As far as buying second-hand frames on the cheap I hope you are able to make them look good as you are asking people to shell out money for your work and really you should get out of it exactly what you put into it. If I were you I would put up at least a couple of well framed larger sized prints to sell and to draw people in to sell if people want that size.
    "It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment."

Ansel Adams

Nikon D700
    Nikon D-70s
    MB D-10 Grip
    14-24 2.8G ED
    18-70 kit lens
    85mm 1.8
    70-200 2.8 VR ED
    Nikon SB800 Speedlite

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    well i'll only get 2nd hand frames if i find nice ones

thanks for the tips
    Flickr
    Blog

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by molsen View Post
    We have this monthly artwalk in downtown Jacksonville here where artists can set up in a park and display and/or sell their artwork. There's usually a really good crowd and it goes from 5-9ish in the evenings. And it's free for everyone.

I want to set up a table with some of my photos and see if I can sell a few of them, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about this.

-What sizes would be best to sell? 8x10?

For venues like this 8x10 and 11x14's work well. I would have some larger ones like 16x20 or 18x24 but you may find the 11x14 to move the fastest.

-Should they be framed? I was thinking of hitting up some flea markets and 2nd hand stores for cheap frames and mats.

I would have a few larger prints framed but you will sell more simply matted. You can get matting and the bags for them here at great prices and not have to go with 2nd hand.

-Should I offer photos for sale unframed/unmatted too?

Both is fine but most sales will be simply matted and poly bagged. Having a few framed on display can help with a booth show to help bring people in.

-Is there any way to get my photos printed with a copyright notice or something on the back to help discourage copies?

Always sign the print even if its under the mat. You can sign the matting if the signature does not show. Having contact information on the back with a website and phone number is a great way to make sure they know where it came from and maybe get additional sales down the road.

What about if I sold the photos for more $$, assuming the customer may reprint?

Sell just the print. What ever the price of it might be set at they can contact the artist for another if its not a limited edition.

Thanks a lot for the help!
    Good luck and lots of sales

Ads