TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times

Pro Photographer to Pro Photographer Etiquette?

What are thoughts on etiquette if you go to a friends wedding where they hired a different photographer instead of you. You take photos at the friends wedding and post online with your watermark? Is that in poor taste if you were not the hired photog? Thoughts on this?

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (3)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    9 times
    I think that's inappropriate. Go as a friend and share your photos with the bride if you'd like, but don't behave like you're the wedding photographer. They may have felt they were doing you a favor by not making you work at the party.
    Ian

Canon 7D, Canon 30D, Sigma 10-20 f/4.5-5.6, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Canon 50 f/1.8 Mark I, Sigma 50-150 f/2.8, Canon 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 100-300 f/4, Canon 400 f/5.6L, Sigma 1.4X & 2X EX TC, Canon 430EX, Bogen 3021 Tripod/Gitzo 1377M

MY BETTERPHOTO

MY SMUGMUG

"If I have seen further , it is by standing on ye shoulders of giants." -- Sir Isaac Newton in a letter to Robert Hooke 15 February 1676 (... and a long telephoto doesn't hurt either ...)

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    I would say don't even bring your camera. Doing so only makes things more complicated in the future (as to what you do with the images, and if you delivering them results in lost income for the pro photog etc.) Just leave the camera at home and have a good time at the wedding.
    Thanks,
    Nate

Canon stuff.
    Tampa Bay Photography

TPF Junkie!
    The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no idea just how funny that is)
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    245 times
    +1 ^^
    Luck favors the prepared.

To be in the right place at the right time you have to first be in the right place.

Do you really care which camera I use?

KmH
    Helping photographers learn to fish
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (1)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    4043 times
    Quote Originally Posted by devine View Post
    What are thoughts on etiquette if you go to a friends wedding where they hired a different photographer instead of you. You take photos at the friends wedding and post online with your watermark? Is that in poor taste if you were not the hired photog? Thoughts on this?
    Yes, it would be in very poor taste, IMO.
    . . . . . . Keith . . . . . . .How Do I Use My Digital SLR?...

* * * * * * * * * * A photograph is a roughly approximate 2-D interpretation of a 3-D reality. * * * * * * * * * *

epc
    TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Trying to look at it the way I bride would, I might get the impression that you felt you should've been hired. In addition, depending on how well I know you, it might concern me that images of my wedding might be getting you clients. If we're good friends I would consider that a good thing, but if we don't know each other very well, I'd probably feel like you considered attending my wedding more a business and advertising experience than a chance to join us for our special day. It might even give the impression that you're trying to sell them something, or using this as a chance to mke money off prints.

No longer a newbie, moving up!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    You thank God that you didn't get sucked into the trap of shooting a friends wedding. You then attend their wedding as a guest and have a great time due to lack of expectations and pressure. Spend a good amount of time either chuckling @ their bad choice of photographer, or getting some ideas for your photography that you hadn't thought of.
    A thrill a minute may sound pretty good, but a minute is a long time to wait between thrills.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    48 times
    You thank God that you didn't get sucked into the trap of shooting a friends wedding.
    That's funny it's also one way I'd look at the situation. Another is, at least in my experience, I bring the big camera and maybe take 1 or 2 frames of B&G while the rest of my wife and kids and bunch of our friends. B&G hired someone to concentrate on them so I concentrate on friends

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, posting a watermark on an image and using it online would come under commercial usage. It's making reference to your name. And since you wouldn't have a model release... yes, it'd be in poor legal taste, too.

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Yep, it would be tacky and in poor taste. If you MUST bring your camera, get stuff the pro wouldn't get (guests mingling, etc.) and try and stay out of his/her way.

And have fun!

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (16)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    171 times
    It's in poor form, and here's why.

Some photogs look to make money on the backend. So if you put up your photos with a watermark, people will expect they can buy them, thus taking food out of the paid photogs mouth. As you are a photographer, surely you understand the frustration.

However, I shoot lots of photographer's weddings. (It's weird because about a third of my clients are photographers...anyhoo). So naturally, they have lots of photographer friends. And I don't mind those friends taking photos. Unless they hinder me, and then I get all pissy.

So go. Take some shots. Just stay out of the paid guys way, and if you want to gift the b&g with a disc, then I think that's cool. But I wouldn't post with a watermark. Just my 2 pennies.

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Go to your local drug store and buy 2 or 3 disposable cameras to take with you and leave your equipment at home. That way you're not tempted to try to "get just this one shot".
    Any criticisms I may have are given tongue-in-cheek, (sort of), so take them with a grain of salt. Besides, you should see the crap I shoot.

Ads