TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times

Backgrounds for Dance Portraits

I have everything (except 1 light and support equipment) to take pictures of a dance studio. I have a couple threads around talking about it.

I have everything but background and can't decide WHAT to get and WHERE to get it from.

The largest group of girls I will be taking pictures of is 30. I measured what I thought would work and I cam to about 16 ft wide x 36 ft long (roughly). I found some backgrounds online from AuraBackground in 10'x20' sections. I thought for these large group portaits, I could use 3 sheets, one on stands (would they even be needed or could I just put them on the wall?), one in the middle and starting to be on the floor and then one on the ground for them to stand on. I know there are no backgrounds this large so I thought sections would be alot simpler.

My only decision to make is muslin (expensive) or seamless paper. I believe the AuraBackgrounds were seamless, which would work great. If I were to get muslin, would they be big enough because working with that, I could really only use one "sheet" of it for the back and what they stand on. I do not know what color I would like to do, though. Just a plain color or a multicolored one which would compliment the colors of the costumes (which will vary greatly) and also won't take away from the dancers. I need a background which is there just as a background and not as a distraction.

To keep the bottom section clean, I thought of using plexiglass for a nice shine, and a little extra to the image in reflections.

Another decision is for the individual images. I will most likely be using seamless paper. I think an 4 or 5 ft roll is too narrow, expecially since I would like to incorporate jumps into some of the images, if the dancer would like to. I don't know if they offer 10 ft rolls, but that would do just fine I think.

One more thing I'm trying to decide on is background stands. I'm not prepared to spend a couple hundred on these - they will need to be very large, especially for the group shots. Twenty feet wide! I thought of making my own, but ran into the problem of having portability. I think light stands with a metal rod and just clamps would work fine for the smaller roll for individual shots, but I am unsure about the larger one I will need.

I appreciate any input on decision making and also where to get decently priced backgrounds/seamless paper.

~Michael~
    Michael
    D3 D300
    l 24-70 2.8 l 70-200 2.8 VR I l Sigma 150 2.8 Bugma l 50 1.8 l 28 2.8 l SB-800 l Manfrotto 055XBPro and Ball Head

Some people see things
    and say
    WHY?
    I look at things
    and Say
    Why NOT?

I am Big, I am Mike Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (111)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1661 times
    What does their studio look like? It might be easier to just work with what is available for a background, rather than putting all this money & effort into something that may or may not look good.

For example, when I think dance studio...I think of a wall with one of those horizontal bars. That would be a perfect background for a dancer's portrait.

Or maybe you could find out where they put on their shows (somewhere with a stage) and try to arrange for the shoot to be there. A stage will usually have large curtains that could be used as a background or maybe they have something else that would be suitable.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks BigMike for the help. The studio is pretty large with 3 different rooms for dancing and instructioin and one "Banquet Room". I will be using this banquet room for the portraits.

I thought about using 13 ft light stands with tubes crossing them as support. This would help with portability also and the stands are $70/each. I could also tack the back section of the background and then layer it to the ground with 2 more sections hanging from the section that is on the wall.

I'm thinking I might go the light stand route...I still have to buy one more light and I'll be getting a discount on accessories and could put in 3-4 stands in there

~Michael~
    Michael
    D3 D300
    l 24-70 2.8 l 70-200 2.8 VR I l Sigma 150 2.8 Bugma l 50 1.8 l 28 2.8 l SB-800 l Manfrotto 055XBPro and Ball Head

Some people see things
    and say
    WHY?
    I look at things
    and Say
    Why NOT?

Ads