TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (3)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times

Another Release Topic - But maybe Different

Hey guys,
    Quick question, I am breaking into the sports/action photography side of the business. I have been given permision at a local rodeo arena to show up and photograph all the events of the day. What I am doing is taking shots from the event and posting them onto my website so that each indivudual that was a participant could go and see themselfs... If they like that picture, then they have the choice to purchase it...

I am shooting up to 300 people a day at these events..... Its kind hard to go get 300 release forms in order to use these prints on my website so that they can purchase them.. OR do I not need this kind of release.....????

The people at the event know I am there taking pictures... I have flyers out and the MC of the event is constantly telling people over the loud speakers that I am there photographing the event...

Just dont want to get stuck in a situation where I am taking photographs at this public event and selling the pictures of the individual people without their permission

Any suggestions, or ideas on how you handle LARGE events like this?

Garrett
    Last edited by Garrett3374; 02-04-2012 at 10:04 AM.

KmH
    Helping photographers learn to fish
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (1)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    3916 times
    No. No different.

Release laws vary by state. then they are not as cut and dried as laws like traffic laws. IANAL.

Even consulting with a qualified attorney is no guarantee the advice given would apply 100%. You can still be sued even if you do everything right.

IN GENERAL - but not gospel: When you put your images on the web you are self-publishing. A model release protects the publisher and the model, not the photographer. However, the photographer can also be the publisher.

Putting your images on the web (self-publishing), in a portfolio, or in a catalog making the photos available for sale or licensing is GENERALLY not considered a commercial use that requires a release from the subjects of your photos.
    As long as the people in the photos cannot be perceived as advocates or sponsors of your business.
    If they are, you would want to have a valid release on file.

You would also want to investigate the 'Right of Publicity' statutes there in Texas.

Invest $20 in your business: A Digital Photographer's Guide to Model Releases: Making the Best Business Decisions with Your Photos of People, Places and Things
    Last edited by KmH; 02-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    . . . . . . Keith . . . . . . .How Do I Use My Digital SLR?...
    Effort equals results - Roger Penske

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    83 times
    No, event photography doesn't need a release.

Ads