Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Vehicle Door Sign Concept - Comments, Critique, Suggestions Please

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    4994 times
    Tirediron...look at humour in advertising and how it is used effectively, and appropriately.

We all have those late night local advertisers who make goofy and absurd commercials. We talk about the commercials, but we don't shop there.

A local "celebrity" was on a late night "comedy skit between movie breaks" show, and is really, locally famous.
    He also owns a jewelery store. You'd think, being famous for his comedy sketches, he would ustilize that in his advertising for his jewelery store.
    But he doesn't. Why would that be? Are you apt to buy fine jewelery from a clown?

This is why my business, is not called "The Bitter Jeweler". I wanted it to be, sooooo bad. I wanted to go against convention. But in "testing", people thought it was odd, they didn't get it, and were not apt to shop with me.

Now add to your humour, a dark side. It's a play on words of something rather negative. What market will it be a success with, and what market will it fail?

"The Bitter Jeweler" scored higher with young people (who tend to not have disposable incomes), and lower with older people (who tend to have disposable incomes). It was a no brainer who I was trying to reach, and which direction I should go.

Just something to think about.

Last edited by Bitter Jeweler; 01-08-2013 at 08:25 AM.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1105 times
    Sorry man, this business is all about word of mouth AND people seeing your work. People are not going to check out your website or call you just from looking at this car magnet.

If you are a plumber however....
    gw2424 likes this.
    TAKING A LONGGGG BREAK FROM THIS SILLY FORUM

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (35)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    249 times
    I'm not sure as a photographer need or want car lettering. I'm also not sure you really want it either. Most people won't write down your phone or url, but they'll remember your name, so your page better come up first when they Google you.

And if you do want to do it, I'm thinking it better be some full color bridal catalog shot, your best work, nice and big to draw attention, with the logo and name secondary. I'm thinking minivan full side, not car door size.

Big enough in size to be tacky, but elegant enough in design to pull it off regardless.

Something like this, but with your logo, NAME, url and phone added in. Oh, and tailored to your niche if you aren't doing weddings

http://www.advanced-airbrush.com.au/...9%20%20500.jpg

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    784 times
    ^^^^^ I agree.... wrong business to have a door sign.

This might sound harsh and it is not ment to be but having a door sign puts you in a lower class of photography...like the kid nappers that do $35 portrait sittings, ala Sears, K-mart,Walmart Don't sell yourself short you are better than that.

Watch the Birdy! Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (28)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    6112 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post
    Tirediron...look at humour in advertising and how it is used effectively, and appropriately.
    We all have those late night local advertisers who make goofy and absurd commercials. We talk about the commercials, but we don't shop there.
    A local "celebrity" was on a late night "comedy skit between movie breaks" show, and is really, locally famous.
    He also owns a jewelery store. You'd think, being famous for his comedy sketches, he would ustilize that in his advertising for his jewelery store.
    But he doesn't. Why would that be? Are you apt to buy fine jewelery from a clown?...
    Thanks David, very insightful and good food for thought. Much aprpeciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin_Usagani View Post
    Sorry man, this business is all about word of mouth AND people seeing your work. People are not going to check out your website or call you just from looking at this car magnet.
    You've seen some of my work! I don't expect to get a lot from it, but I don't see how it can hurt either. As I happen to have a friend in the sign business, the cost is ~$100 for three signs which IMO, is cheap enough to make it worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by nycphotography View Post
    I'm not sure as a photographer need or want car lettering. I'm also not sure you really want it either. Most people won't write down your phone or url, but they'll remember your name, so your page better come up first when they Google you.
    And if you do want to do it, I'm thinking it better be some full color bridal catalog shot, your best work, nice and big to draw attention, with the logo and name secondary. I'm thinking minivan full side, not car door size.
    Big enough in size to be tacky, but elegant enough in design to pull it off regardless.
    Something like this, but with your logo, NAME, url and phone added in. Oh, and tailored to your niche if you aren't doing weddings
    Interesting, but I do NOT want a vehicle wrap. I really want the ability to go 'incognito' when I choose. Again, while it may not gain me a lot, I don't see how it can hurt...

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (35)
    Liked
    249 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tirediron View Post
    Interesting, but I do NOT want a vehicle wrap. I really want the ability to go 'incognito' when I choose. Again, while it may not gain me a lot, I don't see how it can hurt...
    Fair enough. But even with magnetics, as a photographer, I'd go with a picture/image over old school lettering.

Banned
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1278 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tirediron View Post
    Point taken, however, are you considering the very significant differences between the Canadian and US views on the topic of firearms? I agree that in the US this would be a total bonehead idea; up here? I think it has merit...
    I am. I traveled throughout Canada for eight years as part of my job. In 2008, I spent more time in Canada than I did the United States. I've probably seen far more of Canada than most Canadians. Accordingly, I've spent an inordinate amount of time with Canadians, and we often discussed the differences between the US and Canada on a myriad of subjects, including guns.

If you guys didn't have access to news from the United States, I might agree with you. But the fact is that people in Canada probably heard about these latest mass shootings before people in the United States did. Borders mean a lot less these days in terms of what news matter and what news doesn't matter. After the shooting at Clackamas Town Center here in Portland (I live about a mile and a half from there), a friend in Toronto called me to make sure I was okay.

His phone call was the first I'd heard about it.

I think you may be relying too heavily on the differences in our attitudes on guns. Regardless of which side of the border someone is on, this sign will trigger a very visceral reaction and, in my opinion, it will prove to be a great (and avoidable) detriment to your business...

Banned
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1278 times
    I have a sticker on my rear window which reads www.stevesphotography.com (not the actual verbage). It's small and simple, sits on the lower left corner of the rear windshield on the Explorer, and it works...

No longer a newbie, moving up!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    3 times
    I am a Canadian and when I read your "have you been shot lately" the first thing that came to my mind was all those little children who were killed before Xmas in the states so honestly as a photographer myself I would definitely loose that phrase. My two cents.

TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (28)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    6112 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve5D View Post
    ...I think you may be relying too heavily on the differences in our attitudes on guns. Regardless of which side of the border someone is on, this sign will trigger a very visceral reaction and, in my opinion, it will prove to be a great (and avoidable) detriment to your business...
    Fair comment Steve; thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sandraadamson View Post
    I am a Canadian and when I read your "have you been shot lately" the first thing that came to my mind was all those little children who were killed before Xmas in the states so honestly as a photographer myself I would definitely loose that phrase. My two cents.
    Thanks Sandra, comment appreciated. Perhaps our perceived isolation here in Lotus Land has something to do with the attitude as well. I've shown it to a number of people, mostly non-photographers, and all but one have had a chuckle over it, HOWEVER, I think based on design, as well as potential mis-interpretation, I will probably bin that line, as much as I like.

Banned
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1278 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sandraadamson View Post
    And there ya' go...

TPF Junkie!
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    599 times
    Hi John, As a Canadian from the same background as yourself, I see where you were going with this, but kinda agree that most will see it as the majority on here have.

TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (28)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    6112 times
    Ver. 3.0:

Mr. Rain Cloud
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    9676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin_Usagani View Post

Robin,

Didn't you have a car magnet made for your photography biz, back when you first got it going? Did it not work?
    "It's about time people started taking photography seriously, and treating it as a hobby." Elliott Erwitt

My most recent photos posted to TPF http://www.pbase.com/derrel/recent_tpf_uploads&page=all

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    2727 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrel

Robin,

Didn't you have a car magnet made for your photography biz, back when you first got it going? Did it not work?
    No, he didn't. Mohymen did. Photo by MOM(O).
    Click above to visit my new site
    Maine Wedding and Portrait Photographer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads