TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times

Lightroom - Clarity , can you tell?

Hello. I get a bit annoyed (like most of us here im sure) when people up the contrast way too much, or increase saturation, use selective color, etc... all those effects you can spot right off the top that make the photo look cheesy.

Having said that, messing around with Lightroom, I found upping the clarity to 100% (all the way) can look pretty cool on the right photo- Such as skin in soft light. Now, Im just taking pictures of friends and random snapshots (pretty much for facebook), so its not like Im using this effect for or actual use.

Any opinions on Clarity, can you spot it right away? Its not something Ive ever hit upon in Photoshop, so maybe Im just overly-amused for the time being.

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    what do you mean by "can you spot it right away?" if your pp skills suck of course people are going to be able to see your errors..

No longer a newbie, moving up!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't know anything about lightroom, but it seems to me that if it looks good to you, and other people you know then its viable for use.

Honestly, if no one's saying it looks super fake and people enjoy the look of that photo you've edited, it should not matter. If it fits the feel of the photo they good, if not don't use it.

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    it depends. in some scenes, a clarity boost causes obvious halos around edges and other contrasting objects
    Body: Nikon D90 & D50
    Glass: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR
    Light: SB-400, Vivitar DF-383, Vivitar 285hv (x2), Sunpak 433 D, Lumiquest SBIII (x2), Cactus V2s wireless triggers
    Flickr
    Blog

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Clarity can also be found in Camera raw in Photoshop. It's pretty much the same thing as a highpass filter with high radius on soft light.

Been spending a lot of time on here!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    9 times
    I tend to use it as well as recovery, but its always best to zoom 100% while adjusting so as to avoid the hallowing.
    [7D] - [GF1] - 70-200f4L | 50L f1.2 | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 105 | Sigma 18-50 f2.8
    www.GwagDesigns.com | Twitter |

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    I used it for the first time today, I agree, its pretty good.
    www.renebruunphotographer.com

Nikon D300 / MB10 Grip
    Nikon 50mm F1.4
    Sigma 10-20mm

WIDELIFE

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    479 times
    Quote Originally Posted by itskub View Post
    Hello. I get a bit annoyed (like most of us here im sure) when people up the contrast way too much, or increase saturation, use selective color, etc... all those effects you can spot right off the top that make the photo look cheesy.

Having said that, messing around with Lightroom, I found upping the clarity to 100% (all the way) can look pretty cool on the right photo- Such as skin in soft light. Now, Im just taking pictures of friends and random snapshots (pretty much for facebook), so its not like Im using this effect for or actual use.

Any opinions on Clarity, can you spot it right away? Its not something Ive ever hit upon in Photoshop, so maybe Im just overly-amused for the time being.
    That's really subjective, and you using it 100%, i might think it's too much.

I don't normally use the clarity slider, I just assume run high-pass filters in photoshop instead and layermask, more control that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by sm4him View Post
    What's the difference between an artist and a large pizza?

The pizza can feed a family of four.

No longer a newbie, moving up!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    I can spot it right away...what annoys me is the sharpening in lightroom...I can't really tell how sharp something is until after I export it or move it to photoshop, so usually I just do all my sharpening in PS. Also, I hate how it automatically adds some sharpening to RAW photos.

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftyRodriguez View Post
    I can spot it right away...what annoys me is the sharpening in lightroom...I can't really tell how sharp something is until after I export it or move it to photoshop, so usually I just do all my sharpening in PS. Also, I hate how it automatically adds some sharpening to RAW photos.
    yea...ibut all you have to do is create a preset with the sharpening at zero, and have that auto applied at import
    Body: Nikon D90 & D50
    Glass: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR
    Light: SB-400, Vivitar DF-383, Vivitar 285hv (x2), Sunpak 433 D, Lumiquest SBIII (x2), Cactus V2s wireless triggers
    Flickr
    Blog

Ads