I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times

best way to remove lens flares in photoshop?

when shooting long exposures at night i sometimes get a few annoying lens flares in my pictures (especially when using zoom or standing close to light source). was just wondering what tools everyone here uses in photoshop to get rid of them?
    i use the clone tool often, it's ideal for a black background, but with a more complicated pattern that often comes up short. the burn tool (darken it) works too sometimes. but none of those two are 100% proof.

so how do you all get rid of your lens flares in your pictures?
    "Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy sh*t with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the f*cking trigger 'til it goes 'click'."

Nikon D80
    Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8
    Nikon Fisheye 10.5mm f/2.8
    Sigma 105 mm f/2.8 Macro

CyberLiquid Photography

Damn You! Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (13)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    5 times
    depending on the surrounding area, the healing brushes can sometimes be used, but most of the time the clone tool is your friend.

One tip if you really can't get it right on the image, is to use the clone tool on the channels rather than actual image.

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie View Post
    so how do you all get rid of your lens flares in your pictures?
    It depends on the image. It always depends on the image.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    5 times
    I try and shield the lens with hoods/my hand. I've never actually bothered trying to save a picture with flare. So my approach is to just prevent it from the beginning.
    KEEP THIS IN MIND IF I CRITIQUE YOUR PHOTO
    This was an open minded opinion and I tried to make it more meaningful than just tearing the photo apart. I simply highlight what I find to be a strength or a weakness that enhances or degrades the quality of an image. I want it to be clear that I respect your right to agree or disagree with my viewpoints, but hope that they may have given you some insight or further understanding when you compared and contrasted my views with your own.

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    4 times
    Are your lens flares very saturated in a certain colour, like green or red or blue? Does this colour stick out from the rest of the image. If it does, say so and I'll type out how to fix it. Otherwise, I'll be spend all my time writing how how to fix it for nothing.
    Browse my photos on Flickr, if you like.

Currently a Pentaxian. Favourite lens: 100mm f2.8 Macro. I now have all the lenses I need. On to lusting over lenses I want.

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    indeed, my lens flares from long exposure at night always tend to be a very saturated green.

i've found some other manuals on the internet as well, and i found that selecting the flare (with lasso tool) and then putting some color and contrast adjustment layers over it works very well. not perfect but it's better than just using the dodge tool.
    "Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy sh*t with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the f*cking trigger 'til it goes 'click'."

Nikon D80
    Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8
    Sigma 105 mm f/2.8 Macro

CyberLiquid Photography

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    4 times
    Er, maybe that works but there's a much better more reliable way.

With one single adjustment layer, and no masking or selecting, you can do this within 15 seconds:

Step 1, add a hue/saturation adjustment layer over your original image:

Step 2, Change the selection from all colours(which is called master) to green specifically. Don't close the hue/saturation window.

step 3, Now with this hue/saturation window open, you're automatically going to have an eyedropper tool activated. After you've selected "green" from the dropdown box, proceed to actually click on your image exactly on a green part of your lens flare. This helps the tool narrow the type of green down more precisely. After doing this, don't close the hue/saturation window.

step 4, Drag the saturation slider way down, until it doesn't look green anymore. Then you'll very likely have to drag the lightness slider down too.

And that does it.
    Last edited by Dubious Drewski; 01-08-2009 at 12:15 PM.
    Browse my photos on Flickr, if you like.

Currently a Pentaxian. Favourite lens: 100mm f2.8 Macro. I now have all the lenses I need. On to lusting over lenses I want.

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    awesome! it isn't 100% perfect but with a little selective dodging and burning i can get it 99% perfect. thanks a lot man!

Nikon D80
    Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8
    Sigma 105 mm f/2.8 Macro

CyberLiquid Photography

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times

Is this photo amenable to the techniques described above?

I'm new here so I'll say a couple short words of intro. Back in the dark ages, I did semi-professional photography with a (at the time!) nice Canon AE-1 and a selection of Canon and Nikon lenses. Now I am retired and love to scan and work on digital images - especially old family photos for our family genealogists.

Now - to the matter at hand. I got the first image below from a friend a few days ago. Normally, I'd pass due to the heavy duty lens flare and move on to the next image, but this is the only photo we have of a deceased high school classmate - so that's not an option.

Any image information that was under the flare is gone. I'm trying to learn some of the advanced tools in Photoshop but I don't think I understand some of them well enough. While they methods described in this thread helped, none got me as far as the manual (and tediouw as hell) use of our good friends Mr. Clone Stamp, Mrs. Healing Brush, and their kids cut and paste.

After all that work I still don't think it looks that great anyway. Is this the best I should expect without spending weeks on it?

Thanks for any feedback.

Original

Messed With
    Last edited by Amateur Wannabe; 07-15-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Bad URLs for images

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1 times
    I'd give it another shot after calibrating my equipment, colour and levels are well out. H

Ads