Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Using Lightroom on 2 Computers? HELP!

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (13)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times

Using Lightroom on 2 Computers? HELP!

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I apologize if this has been covered before, but I didn't see anything in my search here and google only confused me more. I warn you, I am incredibly non-technical.

I currently use my PC to edit images. I'm planning on installing lightroom on my laptop so I can take it to work and edit on my lunch hour, which would give me much more time at home with my family. I had planned to place my images on a network so I could access them from my laptop. (By "I," I mean someone that knows what they're doing.) But I realized that I had no way to work in the same lightroom application from different locations. I understand lightroom is not multi-system friendly. I also understand that it's not very network friendly, either. Does anyone use 2 computers to edit the same photos? If so, how the heck are you doing it?

Chief Free Electron Relocator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    4502 times
    I'm not a LR user, but perhaps LR licenses are only valid on one computer?
    I see dead pixels!
    Go forth and actuate!

Lens Across America, ROUND 3!!!!

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1846 times
    When you agreed to the license terms (you did read that, right?) you agreed to use the software on one computer. One doesn't mean two, and Adobe isn't going to authorize it on two I wouldn't think.
    Scott Craig - Nashville, TN - Nikon D7100, D7000, D90, D60
    My web site: Tennessee in Photographs

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    209 times
    You can use it on up to two computers.. It's in their faq, right on their site.. did you try going to adobe's site?

FAQ | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4

How many computers are covered by a single license of Lightroom 4?

Subject to the terms of the software license agreement, the primary user of the computer on which Lightroom is installed may install a second copy of the software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a home computer, provided that the software is not used on both computers at the same time. Lightroom is sold as multiplatform software, which means it can be installed on either Mac OS X or Windows.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1777 times
    You are licensed on 2 computers.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1777 times
    I understand what your question is though. How do you save what you have done from one computer and then continue on to your laptop with the changes you have made? Is that what you mean?

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (13)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    My question isn't about licensing or how to actually install it on 2 systems. I'm wondering how to manage the workflow on 2 computers. How do I share my lightroom catalog between the two so that I can work on both systems seamlessly? I want to be able to access, edit and save the same batch of photos from each computer.

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (13)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kathythorson View Post
    I understand what your question is though. How do you save what you have done from one computer and then continue on to your laptop with the changes you have made? Is that what you mean?
    Yes! I'm afraid that if I import/export from each system, it'll be confusing and I'll risk lost edits or multiple copies of the same images.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    300 times
    licencing is not an issue. the problem your going to have is to keep your catalogs sync and the files on both computer with the same file structure.

you're going to have to do it yourself. every time you finish working on your home computer, you need to make a backup copy of your lightroom catalog and copy this catalog to your laptop somehow. You will also need to sync your files from your computer to your laptop.

on thing you can do is to work you files from a usb hard drive (not recommended as its slow as ****) and then reconnect that usb drive to your laptop once you need to work from your laptop, opening the catalog (backup copy) from the usb drive

other option is to create shares on both machine and once you have both on the network you can copy/sync the files.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    209 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBaker View Post
    My question isn't about licensing or how to actually install it on 2 systems. I'm wondering how to manage the workflow on 2 computers. How do I share my lightroom catalog between the two so that I can work on both systems seamlessly? I want to be able to access, edit and save the same batch of photos from each computer.
    My bad.. I should've read better.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    300 times
    I would use Beyond compare to do this as its a great tool to makes this sort of copies. it will do incremental copy vs full copy of files everytime. same thing as a backup system with the 0-1 bits

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1777 times
    Yes! I'm afraid that if I import/export from each system, it'll be confusing and I'll risk lost edits or multiple copies of the same images.
    This is the reason I only edit off of my main desktop and then just use my laptop for messing around. Plus you will never have consistant color if you go back and forth.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    300 times
    This is the reason I only edit off of my main desktop and then just use my laptop for messing around. Plus you will never have consistant color if you go back and forth.
    if both monitors are calibrated and verified it could be pretty accurate.

I am Big, I am Mike Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (111)
    Liked
    1571 times
    Lightroom isn't set up well for a network. As others are saying, the best solution seems to be using a portable drive and just taking it from one computer to the next.

That being said, once you have loaded the catalog and generated the previews...many of the things you can do in LR, don't require you to actually have the image files on hand. In LR, they will still appear to be there, but with a question mark beside them, telling you that the link to the original files is broken.

I'll always defer to Matt K. for LR advice.
    The Easiest Way to Share Lightroom Catalogs with Different Computers Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips

Chief Free Electron Relocator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    4502 times
    I use the desktop for all my heavy lifting. The laptop, if used for editing at all, is for simple cloning, cropping, resizing, ect.
    I see dead pixels!
    Go forth and actuate!

Lens Across America, ROUND 3!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads