Thread: Single OCF light source picture thread

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    345 times

Single OCF light source picture thread

If you got it, post it up. Providing info of light type, positioning, and modifiers kicks ass too.

One 580EX II with shoot through umbrella held by Voice Activated Lightstand (VAL) camera left.
    My name is Will. You may call me Will.
    -Will

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1003 times
    I'll contribute-

Last night, shoot-through umbrella/pocketwizard/camera right.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    294 times

Two microwaved cd's, a single tungsten clamp-on shop light in my darkened bathroom. Not strobe, but you didn't specify so....
    SGorman likes this.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    345 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bazooka View Post

Two microwaved cd's, a single tungsten clamp-on shop light in my darkened bathroom. Not strobe, but you didn't specify so....
    OCF = Off camera flash. But, we can let it slide since your hummingbird shot is the tits.
    -Will

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1003 times
    How long did you nuke the CDs for that effect?

Mr. Rain Cloud
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    9673 times

This photo needs to be seen in its "original" size, for the correct color profile to come through, since when seen at reduced size, it defaults to some oddball color profile and the colors look all washed out and pale.

This is a single Speedotron Brown Line M11 light unit fired through a Lastolite brand 40 inch Umbrella Box enclosed umbrella which I positioned to deliver some catchlighting in the eyes and a fairly broad shadow on the off side. There is 'some' hint of fill from a 4x6 foot white reflective LightForm panel on a homemade rolling stand, but the amount of fill-in is very minimal because the reflector is at least five feet away from the subject. The shadowed side of the face maintains nice dimensional clues which were lost when I moved the reflector closer,to approximately three feet off to the side. I didn't like the shots I made later, when the reflector was moved closer, to three feet. The Canon "flash" white balance was used,and it's a good match for this umbrella and uncoated flashtube. This image is exactly As-Shot using baseline Auto RAW convesion in ACR with just USM and re-sizing for the web. In this shot,the umbrella is lighting the paper just a tiny bit; I shot this on the short axis of my garage,and didn't use a backlight: I wish I would have used a light to make the backdrop whiter,or shot with the backdrop farther away from the umbrella for at least a medium gray,or darker, backdrop color in the final image. Here's the URL for this umbrella Lastolite Umbrella Box with 8MM Shaft - 40" LL LU3226 B&H
    "It's about time people started taking photography seriously, and treating it as a hobby." Elliott Erwitt

My most recent photos posted to TPF http://www.pbase.com/derrel/recent_tpf_uploads&page=all

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    294 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bazooka View Post

OCF = Off camera flash. But, we can let it slide since your hummingbird shot is the tits.
    GAH!!! Thinking fail. Oh well, it could have been a flash!!

The cd's only take about 5 seconds to cook the lines in. Once it 'flashes', it's done.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1003 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrel View Post

This photo needs to be seen in its "original" size, for the correct color profile to come through, since when seen at reduced size, it defaults to some oddball color profile and the colors look all washed out and pale.

This is a single Speedotron Brown Line M11 light unit fired through a Lastolite brand 40 inch Umbrella Box enclosed umbrella which I positioned to deliver some catchlighting in the eyes and a fairly broad shadow on the off side. There is 'some' hint of fill from a 4x6 foot white reflective LightForm panel on a homemade rolling stand, but the amount of fill-in is very minimal because the reflector is at least five feet away from the subject. The shadowed side of the face maintains nice dimensional clues which were lost when I moved the reflector closer,to approximately three feet off to the side. I didn't like the shots I made later, when the reflector was moved closer, to three feet. The Canon "flash" white balance was used,and it's a good match for this umbrella and uncoated flashtube. This image is exactly As-Shot using baseline Auto RAW convesion in ACR with just USM and re-sizing for the web. In this shot,the umbrella is lighting the paper just a tiny bit; I shot this on the short axis of my garage,and didn't use a backlight: I wish I would have used a light to make the backdrop whiter,or shot with the backdrop farther away from the umbrella for at least a medium gray,or darker, backdrop color in the final image. Here's the URL for this umbrella Lastolite Umbrella Box with 8MM Shaft - 40" LL LU3226 B&H
    ^^^^that umbrella may be the answer to my question of how do i get softer light without hassling with putting a softbox together everytime I get somewhere to shoot but still be softer than a bare umbrella? Derrel does the light fall off super-fast like a shoot-through umbrella? is there anything i need to mount a SB-600 with it, other than universal adapters i already have that hold a flash and umbrella on a light stand?

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2095 times
    Single speedlite, camera left on a monopod held by model's husband. Bare flash.

USAGANI.COM - FACEBOOK
    5D3, 5D2, 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 35 f/1.4L, 50 f/1.4, Minolta 58 f/1.2, Tamron 90 f/2.8 macro, 135 f/2L
    Fuji x100s

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    940 times

Setup like this:

dots likes this.
    "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."

Flickr http://redskiesphotography.com

Nikon D800 ~ Nikon 16-35 f4 VRII ~ Nikon 50mm 1.8G ~ Nikon 80-200 AF-D 2.8D ~ Nikon 85mm 1.8G ~ Nikon 50mm 1.8D ~ Sigma 17-50 2.8OS ~ Tokina 11-16 2.8
    Nikon SB600x2 ~ Nikon SB700 ~ Nikon Su800 ~ Pocketwizards ~ Sekonic L308S ~ Lee 100mm System ~ Lowepro Vertex 200AW ~ Domke F2 ~ Pelican 1560 ~

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    940 times

Setup like this:

"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."

Flickr http://redskiesphotography.com

Nikon D800 ~ Nikon 16-35 f4 VRII ~ Nikon 50mm 1.8G ~ Nikon 80-200 AF-D 2.8D ~ Nikon 85mm 1.8G ~ Nikon 50mm 1.8D ~ Sigma 17-50 2.8OS ~ Tokina 11-16 2.8
    Nikon SB600x2 ~ Nikon SB700 ~ Nikon Su800 ~ Pocketwizards ~ Sekonic L308S ~ Lee 100mm System ~ Lowepro Vertex 200AW ~ Domke F2 ~ Pelican 1560 ~

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1003 times
    Nice!
    D800 |Nikon 24-70 | Nikon 70-200 VRII | 50mm f/1.4 | Manfrotto | pocketwizards | flashes

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    345 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 2WheelPhoto View Post

^^^^that umbrella may be the answer to my question of how do i get softer light without hassling with putting a softbox together everytime I get somewhere to shoot but still be softer than a bare umbrella? Derrel does the light fall off super-fast like a shoot-through umbrella? is there anything i need to mount a SB-600 with it, other than universal adapters i already have that hold a flash and umbrella on a light stand?
    Fall off isn't a result of the modifier. It's the distance the light source is from the modifier.

Zack Arias has the best illustrated example of this I've ever seen:
    I've moved the blog –> zackarias.com/blog White Seamless Tutorial :: Part 3 :: From White To Black.
    2WheelPhoto likes this.
    -Will

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwettylens View Post
    Single speedlite, camera left on a monopod held by model's husband. Bare flash.

Don't tell he didn't trust you with his wife Schwettylens.

Nice shot.

Bruce
    Nikon D2Xs | Nikon D90 | Nikon F3
    SB600 | SB80DX | SB25 | SB16A x 2
    Nikon 35mm F2 | Nikon 50mm F1.8 | Nikon 85mm F1.8 | Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro | Nikon 180mm F2.8 | Nikon 300mm F4.0

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1003 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2WheelPhoto View Post

Fall off isn't a result of the modifier. It's the distance the light source is from the modifier.

Zack Arias has the best illustrated example of this I've ever seen:
    I've moved the blog –> zackarias.com/blog White Seamless Tutorial :: Part 3 :: From White To Black.
    Thanks for the information and link, I'll study it. I'm brand new to OCF and it just seems when i take two umbrellas out, my shoot through and the regular one with the black backing on and same settings same flash, the shoot through is significantly less light for me (unless I about move it against the subject). I haven't made as far as the studio and advanced studio lighting courses at school yet.
    D800 |Nikon 24-70 | Nikon 70-200 VRII | 50mm f/1.4 | Manfrotto | pocketwizards | flashes

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads