Thread: Battery pack

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1 times

Battery pack

Ok so usually I would buy the authentic canon equipment, but I am looking to buy an external battery pack for my 580 ex ii and am I thinking that the manufacturer does not really matter on this does it? After all they both take 8 aa batteries and I plan on using the same rechargeable batteries that I use in my flash now. All they essentially are is a holder for the batteries and a connector to the flash right? Just looks like a nice way to save about 150 bucks. I am more specifically talking about the cp-e4 vs some other no name brand off ebay.
    Photography can never grow up if it imitates some other medium. It has to walk alone; it has to be itself.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1979 times
    Calumet have a nice looking one, over here it is only 139

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (4)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    230 times
    The cheapskate in me asks why use a battery pack when another set or two of rechargeable batteries might work better, and cost less?

When I was using my 550 EX with 'regular' Energizers, after 30 flashes or so, the cycle time was noticably slower. I switched to a 580 EX II and Eneloops batteries and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Cycle time is phenominal with freshly charged batteries, and still in the out-of-this-world fast 100+ flashes later! I used to put new Energizers in my 550 EX about 1 set every 30 minutes, shooting indoors at church. I still carry two extra sets of charged-up Eneloops now...I have yet to put in a fresh set while shooting! I can't say enough about the combination!

has a hat around here somewhere Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2824 times
    Battery packs have their bonuses, the recycle speed increases a lot and the longlevity of the combined setup is greatly extended. Downside is you have to watch your bursts, heat build up is a risk and whilst higher end flashes like the 580 should shut off when they get too hot they can still run a risk of overheating and blowing the bulb if you are firing a lot of fast shots (be they low or high powered).

Myself I've got a PIXEL TD-381 battery pack; same 8 cell arrangement, though it wins out over many of the cheaper competition by allowing the flash to charge from two sets of 4 instead of one set of 8 batteries inside it (which also means it can run well with just a half load of 4 batteries).
    It makes a tiny ticking sound when running (generally quieter than IS/AF so you won't really notice it at all). Myself I've not had any problems, though I tend to pair it more with the canon macro twinflash (its a joy for that older flash and really makes it perform considerably faster!).
    How to get critique on your photography!

The Mentor Scheme mentoring on TPF all are welcome to read and apply

Best photos on the net!
    well at least I like to think so - sometimes

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1936 times
    I use battery packs for all four of my speedlights (two 580EXII and two Yongnuo YN565EX). I have two genuine Canon CP-E4 and two Pixel TD-381 packs. I plug in either brand of the battery packs with either brand of speedlight, and it doesn't seem to make any difference - they all work virtually the same, as fars as I've been able to tell.

As soon as I went to a battery pack, there was a significant increase in performance when it comes to recycle time (it seems instant - all day), and I can shoot all day without needing to change out batteries in anything.

I also use Eneloops in all my gear.
    Your honest C&C is always welcome and appreciated. For those with such interests: My Gear
    "Photography's never been merely about photographing what you could see; it's always been about photographing what you wanted to see." ~ Ctein
    Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks a lot guys looks like I was right in my original thinking this is something I can cheap out on a bit and still get great results.
    Photography can never grow up if it imitates some other medium. It has to walk alone; it has to be itself.

Ads