My Gallery
    (4)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    252 times
    Quote Originally Posted by O|||||||O View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossy View Post
    Why should you never blow on the mirror? Do you think the air pressure is going to knock it out of alignment? I mean, it's fragile, but not that fragile...
    Its not about the pressure, its about the fact you're just moving the speck, and probably other particles, around into your camera
    Or out of the camera.

I never said "blow on the mirror", I said "use a bulb blower". If people read that and then spit all over their mirror, it's their own fault.

I think the close proximity that a 'suction device' would have to be to the mirror presents a greater risk of damage than the relatively long working distance of using a blower.
    So wait, is it fragile or not?
    To be fair, you said " The mirror is kinda fragile, so you don't want to do much more than blow on it."
    Yes, its out of context and immediately before it you said use a bulb blower. But if someone doesn't know what that is, then they read the next sentence, they'd be like, oh, jeep guy said just blow gently.

And a suction device (not sure why that's in quotes?) is the exact same thing as a bulb blower, except instead of blowing, you squish the air out and let it suck

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (4)
    Liked
    252 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSleepin View Post

i would imagine it is easier to notice the spot from the viewfinder.

if i were to notice a spot while swapping lenses, i would immediately pull out the blower and remove it.

it sounds like he has noticed it in the viewfinder, and wants to know how to get inside and remove it.
    Are we reading the same OP?
    Josh66 likes this.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    526 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossy

To be fair, you said " The mirror is kinda fragile, so you don't want to do much more than blow on it."
    Yes, its out of context and immediately before it you said use a bulb blower. But if someone doesn't know what that is, then they read the next sentence, they'd be like, oh, jeep guy said just blow gently.

And a suction device (not sure why that's in quotes?) is the exact same thing as a bulb blower, except instead of blowing, you squish the air out and let it suck
    And a "real" infant nose sucker has very little suction. I don't know how fragile the mirror is but the suction on a nose sucker is minimal.
    Megan

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (4)
    Liked
    1209 times
    have you never removed your lens? did you know you could remove your lens?

the mirror is right there, under the lens...
    ???

umm...

Obviously, he has removed the lens, since he has seen the mirror, and a spot on it...
    i would imagine it is easier to notice the spot from the viewfinder.

if i were to notice a spot while swapping lenses, i would immediately pull out the blower and remove it.

it sounds like he has noticed it in the viewfinder, and wants to know how to get inside and remove it.
    Maybe. I didn't read it that way, but I guess it's possible.

Without actually looking at the mirror, the spot could have just as well been on the focusing screen. Hard to tell without looking at it. Either way - it won't be in the pictures. It's annoying, but it doesn't really bother anything.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (4)
    Liked
    1209 times

Its not about the pressure, its about the fact you're just moving the speck, and probably other particles, around into your camera
    Or out of the camera.

I never said "blow on the mirror", I said "use a bulb blower". If people read that and then spit all over their mirror, it's their own fault.

I think the close proximity that a 'suction device' would have to be to the mirror presents a greater risk of damage than the relatively long working distance of using a blower.

Trying hard to get an argument going, aren't we...?

I put 'suction device' in 'quotes' because a snot sucker is not the only suction device on the market. And it sounded better.

Plus, you totally ignored the proximity issue I brought up... A blower can be used from a few inches away. How close would your snot sucker have to be to lift a dust speck?

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1681 times
    Baby booger blowers work just fine, I wouldn't try sucking in though just because you'd have to get it so close to the mirror that if you twitch you'd risk contact.

There is no way a gentle puff of air will do any harm....

(Sent from my neighborhood Hardees)
    Josh66 likes this.
    Career failure is my professional trademark.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (4)
    Liked
    1209 times
    Quote Originally Posted by unpopular View Post
    Baby booger blowers work just fine, I wouldn't try sucking in though just because you'd have to get it so close to the mirror that if you twitch you'd risk contact.
    Thank you. Exactly the reason I was opposed to it.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (4)
    Liked
    252 times
    Why can't someone just have a conversation without it being called an argument? I even threw in smilies and winkies (hah) to "show" tone. Its all good, you blow, I'll suck. I've got steady hands so I'm not worried about touching the mirror. And its what I've been taught by my photo mastah mentor, so it just is for me.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (4)
    Liked
    252 times
    So many innuendos! ^^^

I always read your name as Othello, btw. Strange brain.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (4)
    Liked
    1209 times
    Why can't someone just have a conversation without it being called an argument? I even threw in smilies and winkies (hah) to "show" tone. Its all good, you blow, I'll suck. I've got steady hands so I'm not worried about touching the mirror. And its what I've been taught by my photo mastah mentor, so it just is for me.
    On the first reading, it seemed semi-hostile. I've calmed down since then.

Plus, I'm kinda paranoid about mirrors. My main camera is a Canon 1N RS, which has a pellicle mirror - it's just a thin mylar film. You can literally see through it. I really don't want to touch it, lol. However fragile you think the mirror in your dSLR is, multiply that by 10 then you might be close to how fragile my mirror is.
    Bossy likes this.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (4)
    Liked
    252 times
    Haha yeah I would probably blow then too. Or take it in to let someone else blow. I've actually never really looked at my mirror, I've just cleaned a couple in class. Why is yours so thin?? Bad planning?

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (4)
    Liked
    1209 times
    Why is yours so thin?? Bad planning?
    State of the art technology, circa 1995. The mirror doesn't move - you shoot through it (and lose 2/3 of a stop because of it) - you do get 10 FPS though, which is pretty common today - not so much 15 years ago.
    Bossy likes this.

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times

Yes I know the lenses can be removed, I have multiple lenses. I have tried to blow it out and I tried a q-tip (I probably shouldn't have) and I can't get it off. I know it doesn't show up in the pictures but it annoys me.

Been spending a lot of time on here!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by genofmemphoto View Post

Yes I know the lenses can be removed, I have multiple lenses. I have tried to blow it out and I tried a q-tip (I probably shouldn't have) and I can't get it off. I know it doesn't show up in the pictures but it annoys me.
    then if it was me, i would use some plastic tweezers to try and scrape it off... obviously i would do it as gently as possible.

TPF Junkie!
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    506 times
    ....spot remover????...worked on my dog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads