Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fjrabon

Thread: How do you charge battery on Nikon D600 when Using the Grip ??

  1. #1
    No longer a newbie, moving up!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    89
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    10 times

    How do you charge battery on Nikon D600 when Using the Grip ??

    I am looking at buying a grip for the D600 that I have on order. But I cannot work out how to charge the batteries when the grip is attached.

    The Nikon D90 grip I had had a door and you put one or two batteries in there (or AA batteries using the holder) and you charged the batteries by removing them and charging as normal leaving the grip on the camera. But on the D600 the grip (either Nikon or third party) seems to take one battery in the grip and another in the camera body.

    So when you charge both batteries do you need to remove the grip ?? Surly not



  2. #2
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    2,329
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    361 times
    Thats how it is for the D7000. not terribly bad since with the extra battery you go longer between battery recharges.
    Nikon D7000/D300 with 24-70 F/2.8, 70-200 F/2.8, Nikon 35mm F/1.8, Nikon SB900 several other flashes and stuff.

  3. #3
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,461
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    183 times
    I hate that about the D7000 grip. That's why I only use it if I know I'm going to be doing portraits of people. Otherwise I leave the damn grip off. I love the D90's grip for the simple fact you didn't have to take it off to charge both batteries.

  4. #4
    No longer a newbie, moving up!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    89
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFantasticG View Post
    I hate that about the D7000 grip. That's why I only use it if I know I'm going to be doing portraits of people. Otherwise I leave the damn grip off. I love the D90's grip for the simple fact you didn't have to take it off to charge both batteries.

    Seems a stupid system, why not use the D90 set up. You attach the grip and stick both batteries in the grip - Job done !!!

    You can then easily remove them both from the grip when needed and not have to remove the grip which I cannot see it doing the grip any good to keep removing it

  5. #5
    Chief Free Electron Relocator
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    15,535
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    5061 times
    How do you charge battery on Nikon D600 when Using the Grip ??

    Did the camera not come with a charger?
    I own stock in FotoMat.
    Go forth and actuate!


    Lens Across America, ROUND 3!!!!


  6. #6
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    2,667
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    485 times
    I always just use the battery in the grip first, and recharge that whenever it gets low. I think of the battery in the camera as an emergency backup.
    ronlane likes this.
    Sometimes I forget to tell people I like their photos when I do C+C. If I gave you comments, I liked your photo. I don't bother with pictures I don't like at all most of the time.

  7. #7
    No longer a newbie, moving up!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    89
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    How do you charge battery on Nikon D600 when Using the Grip ??


    Did the camera not come with a charger?
    Well not got the camera yet (on order) but I was asking if you had to remove the grip to recharge the battery as one battery is in the grip and on in the camera. But yes once you have the batteries you will use the charger

  8. #8
    No longer a newbie, moving up!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    89
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fjrabon View Post
    I always just use the battery in the grip first, and recharge that whenever it gets low. I think of the battery in the camera as an emergency backup.

    OK thank you.... On the D90 it was rare I ever used both batteries (but it did happen) but I always charged both before each wedding

  9. #9
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    2,667
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    485 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnYoung View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fjrabon View Post
    I always just use the battery in the grip first, and recharge that whenever it gets low. I think of the battery in the camera as an emergency backup.

    OK thank you.... On the D90 it was rare I ever used both batteries (but it did happen) but I always charged both before each wedding
    yeah, I usually have three batteries fully charged at any event I'm being paid for, and at least 2 full and one that's at least quarter charged for most anything I do.

    I usually will just swap out batteries in the grip unless I don't have time. In which case I'll just switch to the in camera battery. I would say I've only ever dipped into the in camera battery a couple of times. I usually use it like a last line of defense.
    Sometimes I forget to tell people I like their photos when I do C+C. If I gave you comments, I liked your photo. I don't bother with pictures I don't like at all most of the time.

  10. #10
    No longer a newbie, moving up!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    89
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fjrabon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnYoung View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fjrabon View Post
    I always just use the battery in the grip first, and recharge that whenever it gets low. I think of the battery in the camera as an emergency backup.

    OK thank you.... On the D90 it was rare I ever used both batteries (but it did happen) but I always charged both before each wedding
    yeah, I usually have three batteries fully charged at any event I'm being paid for, and at least 2 full and one that's at least quarter charged for most anything I do.

    I usually will just swap out batteries in the grip unless I don't have time. In which case I'll just switch to the in camera battery. I would say I've only ever dipped into the in camera battery a couple of times. I usually use it like a last line of defense.

    Ahhh right I see the D600 seems to have better battery life than the D90 anyway...... thanks for the info

    Also I had a Meike Grip on my D90 and I know a lot of people slate 3rd Party grips but mine was superb. I was looking at buying a Meike grip for the D600 but also saw an ILion one... are they any good (ILion) ?

  11. #11
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    2,667
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    485 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnYoung View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fjrabon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnYoung View Post


    OK thank you.... On the D90 it was rare I ever used both batteries (but it did happen) but I always charged both before each wedding
    yeah, I usually have three batteries fully charged at any event I'm being paid for, and at least 2 full and one that's at least quarter charged for most anything I do.

    I usually will just swap out batteries in the grip unless I don't have time. In which case I'll just switch to the in camera battery. I would say I've only ever dipped into the in camera battery a couple of times. I usually use it like a last line of defense.

    Ahhh right I see the D600 seems to have better battery life than the D90 anyway...... thanks for the info

    Also I had a Meike Grip on my D90 and I know a lot of people slate 3rd Party grips but mine was superb. I was looking at buying a Meike grip for the D600 but also saw an ILion one... are they any good (ILion) ?
    I dont know. I have a Meike one for my D7000 that a friend gave me. I like it. I'm not 100% sure if it's the same grip as the D600 though.
    Sometimes I forget to tell people I like their photos when I do C+C. If I gave you comments, I liked your photo. I don't bother with pictures I don't like at all most of the time.

  12. #12
    No longer a newbie, moving up!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    89
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fjrabon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnYoung View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fjrabon View Post

    yeah, I usually have three batteries fully charged at any event I'm being paid for, and at least 2 full and one that's at least quarter charged for most anything I do.

    I usually will just swap out batteries in the grip unless I don't have time. In which case I'll just switch to the in camera battery. I would say I've only ever dipped into the in camera battery a couple of times. I usually use it like a last line of defense.

    Ahhh right I see the D600 seems to have better battery life than the D90 anyway...... thanks for the info

    Also I had a Meike Grip on my D90 and I know a lot of people slate 3rd Party grips but mine was superb. I was looking at buying a Meike grip for the D600 but also saw an ILion one... are they any good (ILion) ?
    I dont know. I have a Meike one for my D7000 that a friend gave me. I like it. I'm not 100% sure if it's the same grip as the D600 though.

    Well I think I will go for the Meike ... thanks for the help

 

 

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can i charge nikon d600 by connecting usb
,
charging nikon d600 from usb
,
d600 battery charge time
,

how to charge battery grip

,

is it bad to remove nikon d90 battery

,
nikon d600 charging battery
,
nikon d600 grip
,
nikon d600 usb charging
Click on a term to search for related topics.