Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times

D5100 + 28-70mm 2.8 = No autofocus?

This is weird. My D5100 is supposed to be able to auto focus with all AF-S lenses, including the AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8D. For some reason, I borrowed my friends 28-70, I couldn't autofocus with it. All focal length were okay except the ones near 70mm. It focused well with his D1x but on my D5100, it hunts and hunts and hunts and never stops. I wonder if this is an issue with my camera. I thought it was the problem with the side focus points but I tried the middle one but it doesn't work either. I have a full frame lens and it worked well. Is it the D that is causing the problem? Seems unlikely. Any help?
    Call me Michael.

Nikon D5100 | AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G DX | AF-S NIKKOR 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G ED DX | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm 1:1.8G

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    579 times
    The D just mean's it communicates distance to your camera to help with flash exposure. Nothing to do with focus.

My guess, it wasn't seated completely or the contacts on either your camera or the lens are a bit dirty. Probably both.

Quick and easy solution is to unmount it and remount it making sure it clicks. If that doesn't work, you can take a lint free cloth and wipe off the contacts.

That's about the only thing I can think of that would explain both the camera and lens working in other situations, but just not together.
    The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health or strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.

--George

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    The D just mean's it communicates distance to your camera to help with flash exposure. Nothing to do with focus.

My guess, it wasn't seated completely or the contacts on either your camera or the lens are a bit dirty. Probably both.

Quick and easy solution is to unmount it and remount it making sure it clicks. If that doesn't work, you can take a lint free cloth and wipe off the contacts.

That's about the only thing I can think of that would explain both the camera and lens working in other situations, but just not together.
    Hmm, took it off and on but it still didn't work just now. Maybe the contacts (most likely mine, but maybe his too, cause' its an old lens) are dirty. Will try it the next time.
    Call me Michael.

Nikon D5100 | AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G DX | AF-S NIKKOR 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G ED DX | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm 1:1.8G

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    579 times
    The reason I say the contacts are if both are a bit dirty, it could interfere with the connection, where in other situations, if you are mounting slightly dirty contacts to clean contacts, it might not intefere.

Like I said, I would take a lint free piece of cloth(an old t-shirt works fine) and clean both sets of contacts. If that doesn't help, you might try and see if you have the latest firmware for your camera. Could be an issue Nikon took care of during a revision.
    The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health or strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.

--George

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    The reason I say the contacts are if both are a bit dirty, it could interfere with the connection, where in other situations, if you are mounting slightly dirty contacts to clean contacts, it might not intefere.

Like I said, I would take a lint free piece of cloth(an old t-shirt works fine) and clean both sets of contacts. If that doesn't help, you might try and see if you have the latest firmware for your camera. Could be an issue Nikon took care of during a revision.
    Thanks! Will try it.
    Call me Michael.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (15)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    129 times
    Nare u sure u have a af-s lens? Most tamron 28-75mm f2.8 are af lenses.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times
    It's a Nikkor 28-70mm.
    Call me Michael.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times
    Call me Michael.

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    You have a D lens, and the D5100 model does not have a built in autofocus motor. You need a lens that has a built in AF or ends with a G.
    For example:
    Amazon.com: Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens: Electronics

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    526 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dayvidtang
    You have a D lens, and the D5100 model does not have a built in autofocus motor. You need a lens that has a built in AF or ends with a G.
    For example:
    Amazon.com: Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens: Electronics
    The lens he's taking about has a built in af motor - or at least that's what the af-s means. I thought the D meant that the lens has the electronics to pass distance information to the camera not that it had anything to do with AF

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2870afs.htm
    Megan

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh whoops, I mixed it up D: Yeah, you're correct; it probably is the connectors.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times
    All G lenses are also D lenses.
    Call me Michael.

KmH
    Helping photographers learn to fish
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (1)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    3898 times
    The G only means there is no aperture ring on the lens. Most D lenses have an aperture ring.

The D means the lens is a CPU lens that communicates distance information to the camera AF module, and other systems as needed. The AF module uses that distance info to back and forth bracket to focus lock. Of course D lenses are auto focused by the screw-drive motor system in the camera body, while AF-S lenses are auto focused with the stepper motor in the lens.

The way AF-D and AF-S G lenses are focused by the AF module electronics in the camera is also different, which is why AF-S lenses usually are able to achieve focus faster than AF-D lenses. AF-S lenses don't have to do as much back and forth focus refinement as AF-D lenses do.

If you're not sure if a lens is an AF-S or an AF-D, you can tell by looking at the lens mount. A D lens has a slot in the mount the screw-drive system connects to so it can drive the lens focus mechanism. An AF-S lens lacks the screw-drive system connection slot, though there is a blank recess for the screw-drive to sit in.

G-Type NIKKOR Lens G-type NIKKOR lenses have no aperture control ring and are intended for use on Nikon D-SLRs that allow the lens aperture to be adjusted via the camera's command dial.
    D-Type NIKKOR Lens
    A NIKKOR lens that sends distance information to the microcomputer of a dedicated Nikon camera. D-type lenses can be distinguished by a model name in which the letter D follows the maximum f/number.
    Photography Glossary for all your photography questions
    Last edited by KmH; 04-18-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    . . . . . . Keith . . . . . . .How Do I Use My Digital SLR?...
    Effort equals results - Roger Penske

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (2)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KmH
    The G only means there is no aperture ring on the lens. Most D lenses have an aperture ring.

The D means the lens is a CPU lens that communicates distance information to the camera AF module, and other systems as needed. The AF module uses that distance info to back and forth bracket to focus lock. Of course D lenses are auto focused by the screw-drive motor system in the camera body, while AF-S lenses are auto focused with the stepper motor in the lens.

The way AF-D and AF-S G lenses are focused by the AF module electronics in the camera is also different, which is why AF-S lenses usually are able to achieve focus faster than AF-D lenses. AF-S lenses don't have to do as much back and forth focus refinement as AF-D lenses do.

If you're not sure if a lens is an AF-S or an AF-D, you can tell by looking at the lens mount. A D lens has a slot in the mount the screw-drive system connects to so it can drive the lens focus mechanism. An AF-S lens lacks the screw-drive system connection slot, though there is a blank recess for the screw-drive to sit in.
    Sooo the D lenses works best with camera bodies with an internal motor, and G lenses are for (general purposes) work with camera bodies with no internal motors? Or am I being to simplistic?
    Make love not Warcraft.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    54 times
    Hmmm, odd. This lens is both a AF-D and AF-S lens. lol
    Call me Michael.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads