Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 74
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Photography vs. Art

  1. #16
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,381
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgieGirl View Post
    Nope. Mine is even more certain.
    Okay, so i've updated my definition of good photographer and good photo. Still have the same opinion?

    Nikon, fast primes, and speedlights.




  2. #17
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,473
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    322 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DScience View Post
    I would like to try and lead a discussion based on the topic of photography as an art. I have thought about this topic a lot, and have many questions to ask you all. I thought it may flow better if I began with one at a time.

    Art = the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

    1.) Do you believe that a good photographer is also a good artist? Consequently, do you believe that a good photograph is automatically a piece of art?
    (Good photographer = one who can produce properly exposed photos regardless of anything else)
    (Good photograph = one that is properly exposed regardless of any other feature)
    No, this is not the (definition) that I feel is what qualifies someone to be a good photographer or to be an artist.
    My Edits are NOT OK to EDIT

    Lina Lamont: I am an arteest....

  3. #18
    TPF Junkie!
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,998
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2064 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DScience View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgieGirl View Post
    Nope. Mine is even more certain.
    Okay, so i've updated my definition of good photographer and good photo. Still have the same opinion?

    Try not to alter the original post in any way when people have already been discussing it (15 replies). It's much better to amend your definition later in the thread than to change the Original Post and diminish the chance for those who haven't seen the thread yet to see the original verbiage.
    GeorgieGirl likes this.
    www.MajeedB.com

    Corvallis, Oregon based landscape and portrait photographer.


  4. #19
    KmH
    KmH is offline
    Helping photographers learn to fish
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    32,581
    My Gallery
    (1)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    3585 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DScience View Post
    I've updated with a clear definition of art for us all to work with. So, with that said, has anyones opinions changed?
    There is no clear definition of art.

    Art is in the eye of the beholder.
    . . . . . . Keith . . . . . . .How Do I Use My Digital SLR?...
    Photography is at its core an attempt to represent the reality of light in a media that canít faithfully reproduce it.

  5. #20
    Been spending a lot of time on here!
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    135
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    4 times
    What one may find is art another may perceive as junk. It's in the eye of the beholder.

  6. #21
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,381
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KmH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DScience View Post
    I've updated with a clear definition of art for us all to work with. So, with that said, has anyones opinions changed?
    There is no clear definition of art.

    Art is in the eye of the beholder.
    So art is a meaningless word? I think all words have clear definitions, depending on what context they are used in. :O)

    Nikon, fast primes, and speedlights.


  7. #22
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,381
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    32 times
    Nice replies people, I like the great dialogue we're having. (sorry to the person who doesn't like updates to the original post)

    I updated with a new question! Very curious to see replies.

    Nikon, fast primes, and speedlights.


  8. #23
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,381
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KmH View Post

    Art is in the eye of the beholder.
    Never heard that one. But I have heard another quite commonly used statement: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Thus art is art, and whether or not it's good art (beautiful) is thus subjective to the one perceiving the piece, I would argue.

    Nikon, fast primes, and speedlights.


  9. #24
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,473
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    322 times
    Here is an alternate to that Art is in the Eye of the Beholder idea....

    If we start out with the concept that a good photographer is one who consistently has demonstrated skills that result in an image that is exceptional more often then not, then the idea of him (or her) is that they are good. Good meaning that they are accomplished at what they do, as in He's Good at What He Does.

    A photographic image is an form of Art.

    Here on this site there is a member who is a jeweler. The creation of jewelry is a form of Art. It comes from one's mind and is formed into something that is tangible and that can be seen and viewed by others. Just like a photographic image.

    Liking it or not liking it is not the criteria for it to be a form of Art.
    My Edits are NOT OK to EDIT

    Lina Lamont: I am an arteest....

  10. #25
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,464
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1095 times
    I just go by the formal elements of art. I also take into account the intent of the piece.

    One example is that I don't view fashion magazine photography as art because of its purpose. It's the difference between porn and tasteful nudity. Porn is indeed nudity, but it's purpose is to satiate a shallow need (in my opinion). It's also made to be mass-produced.

    Traditionally, art has typically been one-of-a-kind type deals. That's why the market is so much more different than others. If a photograph is taken to be bulk-produced, I don't typically consider it art. However, if someone has a very specific photograph and they sell it on an individual basis then I'm more inclined to see the work as art.

    There are other factors as well. This is just one of the main ones when judging whether a photograph is art, or if it's simply artistic...if that makes sense.

    (On a side note: I HATE discussing this. It's like trying to discuss religion or politics on the internet. It never ends well and it changes no one's opinion)
    DScience and Compaq like this.
    Indentured Student (and hating it). Hopeful Amateur (and getting better?).
    Canon 1D Mark II, Canon 6D, Canon 60D, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon EF 24mm f/1.4
    L, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, Canon Speedlite 580EX II

    http://www.davevaughn.com

    Tell me what you think. It would mean a lot.

  11. #26
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,464
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1095 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgieGirl View Post
    Here is an alternate to that Art is in the Eye of the Beholder idea....

    If we start out with the concept that a good photographer is one who consistently has demonstrated skills that result in an image that is exceptional more often then not, then the idea of him (or her) is that they are good. Good meaning that they are accomplished at what they do, as in He's Good at What He Does.

    A photographic image is an form of Art.

    Here on this site there is a member who is a jeweler. The creation of jewelry is a form of Art. It comes from one's mind and is formed into something that is tangible and that can be seen and viewed by others. Just like a photographic image.

    Liking it or not liking it is not the criteria for it to be a form of Art.
    That seems like a VERY vague description of art.

    Oh, by the way y'all, there has beena new world record set for the most money paid for a painting: 117 million dollars I believe for The Scream by Edvard Munch. His son auctioned it at Sotheby's
    Indentured Student (and hating it). Hopeful Amateur (and getting better?).
    Canon 1D Mark II, Canon 6D, Canon 60D, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon EF 24mm f/1.4
    L, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, Canon Speedlite 580EX II

    http://www.davevaughn.com

    Tell me what you think. It would mean a lot.

  12. #27
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Some Where In the Desert
    Posts
    2,179
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    332 times
    So like I said in my first post in this thread...you will find yourself full circle, two pages of opinions that at the end of the day leave you saying hhmmmmmmmm!
    HTERS MAKE ME FAMOUS


  13. #28
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,381
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rexbobcat View Post
    I just go by the formal elements of art. I also take into account the intent of the piece.

    One example is that I don't view fashion magazine photography as art because of its purpose. It's the difference between porn and tasteful nudity. Porn is indeed nudity, but it's purpose is to satiate a shallow need (in my opinion). It's also made to be mass-produced.

    Traditionally, art has typically been one-of-a-kind type deals. That's why the market is so much more different than others. If a photograph is taken to be bulk-produced, I don't typically consider it art. However, if someone has a very specific photograph and they sell it on an individual basis then I'm more inclined to see the work as art.

    There are other factors as well. This is just one of the main ones when judging whether a photograph is art, or if it's simply artistic...if that makes sense.

    (On a side note: I HATE discussing this. It's like trying to discuss religion or politics on the internet. It never ends well and it changes no one's opinion)
    Thanks for the interesting insight. Sorry for bringing the topic up, but I am a philosopher deep down and this topic is close to my heart. Anyway, I agree with some of the things you said. I also feel that not all photography is art, and actually I hold a probably very narrow opinion that there are two separate areas: photography for the purpose of taking a photo of something (person, inside of a house, snapshot of your child) is not necessarily art (it can be in certain circumstances); then photography for a purely artistic endeavor.

    Nikon, fast primes, and speedlights.


  14. #29
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Some Where In the Desert
    Posts
    2,179
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    332 times
    You can take a snap shot of your child inside your house and then paint it on canvas is it now art?
    HTERS MAKE ME FAMOUS


  15. #30
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,464
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1095 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vipgraphx View Post
    You can take a snap shot of your child inside your house and then paint it on canvas is it now art?
    If I take a snapshot and then add filters and such in Photoshop is it art? Nope.
    Same concept
    Indentured Student (and hating it). Hopeful Amateur (and getting better?).
    Canon 1D Mark II, Canon 6D, Canon 60D, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon EF 24mm f/1.4
    L, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, Canon Speedlite 580EX II

    http://www.davevaughn.com

    Tell me what you think. It would mean a lot.

 

 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Life, Music & Photography - the blog of a young photography enthusiast from Finland
    By tingeliM in forum Personal and Professional Photography Websites
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2011, 11:52 AM
  2. Finding Models for Portrait photography shoots.? Careers in photography?
    By Nikon_Josh in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 10:33 PM
  3. What effect is digital photography having on traditional, film-based photography?
    By MrOnlineIdentity in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2010, 09:19 AM
  4. Canon F1 Photography Talk - by Paul Henri Cahier (photography tips inside)
    By cassio in forum Photojournalism & Sports Gallery
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2009, 11:03 AM

Search tags for this page

jackson pollock

,
jackson pollock paintings printable images
,
jackson pollock paintings with title, date, etc
,

paint splatter art

,
painter artist splash paint
,
pollock splatter
,
splash paint art
,

splatter art

,
splatter art paintings
,
splatter painting artist
Click on a term to search for related topics.