View Poll Results: What Mode Do You Shoot In

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Auto

    8 9.88%
  • Manual

    50 61.73%
  • Shutter priority

    14 17.28%
  • Aperture priority

    41 50.62%
  • Other

    8 9.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 109
  1. #1
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a Island
    Posts
    307
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times

    heart What Shooting Mode Do You Use ?

    okay this has been bugging me since I saw a survey a few weeks back on the shooting modes different people use. Most shot mostly in auto (no surprise there) but out of like the 15000 (maybe exaggerating a little) less than 200 shoot in manual.
    I, myself, shoot in manual on any camera I used unless I was in a hurry. And since then I have been trying other modes like Aperture priority, program and shutter priority.

    My Question is what mode do you mostly shoot in.
    You don't have to write a sentence just the mode (if you want the reason also)
    Just a noob passing through
    With a D40
    & a dusty focusing screen




  2. #2
    No longer a newbie, moving up!
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    48
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    I shoot 90% manual. The other 10% goes between Tv and Av...depending on the lighting.

  3. #3
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    9,893
    My Gallery
    (3)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    9 times
    The question does not make alot of sense to me. I would think alot of us choose the mode depending on the shooting situation. I will use Aperture or Shutter priority or Manual depending on what I am imaging.
    Ian

    Canon 7D, Canon 30D, Sigma 10-20 f/4.5-5.6, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Canon 50 f/1.8 Mark I, Sigma 50-150 f/2.8, Canon 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 100-300 f/4, Canon 400 f/5.6L, Sigma 1.4X & 2X EX TC, Canon 430EX, Bogen 3021 Tripod/Gitzo 1377M

    MY BETTERPHOTO

    MY SMUGMUG

    "If I have seen further , it is by standing on ye shoulders of giants." -- Sir Isaac Newton in a letter to Robert Hooke 15 February 1676 (... and a long telephoto doesn't hurt either ...)

  4. #4
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    737
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Av, Tv, M, and P for general shooting..It depends on my situation...

  5. #5
    Just Corinna in real life Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Lower Saxony, Germany
    Posts
    34,727
    My Gallery
    (1)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    567 times
    I can clearly state that I shoot MOST all manually.

    For the swim meet documentation I decided (for ONCE) to go to AV mode to maintain a DOF deep enough for zoomed-in photos and be QUICK-QUICK-QUICK (which was essential).

    For a stage performance I once decided for TV mode so the camera'd not expose for any longer than 1/100 second.

    But other than that ... manual.

  6. #6
    I am Big, I am Mike Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    33,485
    My Gallery
    (111)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1678 times
    Manual when using flash, which is fairly often...and either M or Av when not using flash.

  7. #7
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,312
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1 times
    P S A M
    I'm the reason you can't trust what you read on the Internet

    D300 . Nikkor 24-70 2.8 . Nikkor 70-200vr 2.8 . Nikkor50 1.8 . Sigma105 2.8 . Tokina12-24 4

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    3,312
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1 times
    Most often? Probably manual but I change allot and on the fly. There needs to be an "All of the above" vote option.

  9. #9
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    436
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1 times
    If I have a little control over the lighting, then manual. If the lighting keeps changing, then Av. If I am trying to show or stop motion, Tv.

    ^^^ All in Canon terms
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face."

  10. #10
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    415
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    38 times
    Glad to see no Autos on this board!! I checked Aperture priority.

    Break down. about:
    75% Aperture priority
    25% Manual

  11. #11
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Flagstaff/Az
    Posts
    2,322
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    13 times
    Im in the all of the above group, except for the Auto mode. If I want to shoot Auto then I will go to P&S cameras.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    Nikon D300

  12. #12
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    517
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    80% of the time I use manual. The other 20% I use aperture priority.

  13. #13
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    380
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Manually, although if I'm feeling lazy automatic.

  14. #14
    Herding cats since 1988...
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Magic Kingdom
    Posts
    7,825
    My Gallery
    (315)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    12 times
    Just curious, but why does it matter what someone else uses?
    flickr now showing...
    obligatory blog - izdihar.com
    "Photography is 1% inspiration, and 99% moving furniture..." - .lisakimberly.

  15. #15
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    614
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
    Just curious, but why does it matter what someone else uses?
    Finally.





    I honestly think it's part of the development of the new "serious" photographer:

    Stage one: Full auto, bad pictures
    Stage two: Rebellion against any automation, belief that full manual is the only choice for "real" or "pro" photographers
    Stage three: Realization that the camera is simply a tool to capture images, and that what you get matters more than how you get it

    I started in serious photography with a digital SLR. I went through these phases. I now use everything from said digital (usually on aperture priority) to a fully manual 35mm SLR to an old rangefinder from 1963 (okay, that's getting sent back, but you get the point). It doesn't matter what settings you use. It matters what your images look like.
    Last edited by elemental; 07-11-2008 at 03:14 PM.

 

 
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. How do you calculate shooting in bulb mode?!
    By sam_justice in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 02:12 PM
  2. What MODE are you shooting?
    By MohaimenK in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 02:24 PM
  3. So I started shooting in AV mode... (+1 for C&C)
    By Raizels in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 03:26 PM
  4. Shooting mode; RAW vs. jpeg
    By NM Rich in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 02:22 PM
  5. Camera won't stay on in shooting mode
    By cindyg2024 in forum Photography Equipment & Products
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-31-2007, 07:42 PM

Search tags for this page

shooting mode in a sentence

Click on a term to search for related topics.