Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Totally New

  1. #1
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    325
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    7 times

    Totally New

    Alright so I basically just got interested in photography and I received a camera for Christmas and its probably the first camera I have ever picked up (not including camera phones and such). I read a few articles, understand aperture, shutter speed, exposure, etc. but I just wanted to know if you had any advice or really anything you could pass on to me about photography. Thanks!


    http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...t/DSC00563.jpg



  2. #2
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri
    Posts
    780
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2 times
    Read Read read....paractice practice practice. To broad of a subject to give specifics. Is there a specific topic you need info on?
    Canon 1Ds mk III/Canon 5D mk II/Canon 50D, Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM, 70-200 f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, 23-185 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, 50mm f/1.8 II, 70-300 f/4-5.6, UVs and Polarizers for all, 580EX II, BG-E2N x 2

  3. #3
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    431
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    6 times
    play with your camera everyday for like an hour or more. 30 minutes if you are a busy person. just like a musical instrument, the more you do it, the better you get.

  4. #4
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    14,377
    My Gallery
    (4)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1163 times
    Don't get too caught up in the technical details.

    I mean, you have to learn it, but after you know it - it doesn't really matter.

  5. #5
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    325
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    7 times
    Alright Thanks guys. Any comments on the pic?

  6. #6
    KmH
    KmH is offline
    Helping photographers learn to fish
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    32,532
    My Gallery
    (1)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    3569 times
    Post 2 or 3 people can comment on specifically.

    There's a sticky thread at the top of the Beginners Forum & Photo Gallery page on how to post images
    . . . . . . Keith . . . . . . .How Do I Use My Digital SLR?...
    Photography is at its core an attempt to represent the reality of light in a media that canít faithfully reproduce it.

  7. #7
    Been spending a lot of time on here!
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    115
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
    I just wanted to know if you had any advice or really anything you could pass on to me about photography. Thanks!

    Find yourself a basic subject, (an apple or a statue or a flower) mount your camera on a tripod or place it on a table and start shooting. Take 200 or so shots using different configurations of the same subject. Play with all the settings. Then when your done move your set up to another area with different lighting (lighter or darker outside or inside) and shoot 200 more shots with different configurations.

    Do the above mentioned in P, then S, then A, & again in M. 1500 shots later, of the same stupid subject, you'll have learned quite a bit.

  8. #8
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    14,377
    My Gallery
    (4)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
    I just wanted to know if you had any advice or really anything you could pass on to me about photography. Thanks!

    Find yourself a basic subject, (an apple or a statue or a flower) mount your camera on a tripod or place it on a table and start shooting. Take 200 or so shots using different configurations of the same subject. Play with all the settings. Then when your done move your set up to another area with different lighting (lighter or darker outside or inside) and shoot 200 more shots with different configurations.

    Do the above mentioned in P, then S, then A, & again in M. 1500 shots later, of the same stupid subject, you'll have learned quite a bit.
    Wow... 1500 shots of an apple?

    With that many pictures to go through, I don't really know how you could have learned anything... Kinda like sensory overload, no?

    How would you even know which shot was what?
    (Yes, you can look at the exif...but for 1500 shots?)

  9. #9
    Been spending a lot of time on here!
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    115
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes
    No
    It's not that difficult
    Yes

  10. #10
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Valley Forge, PA
    Posts
    773
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig G View Post
    Yes
    No
    It's not that difficult
    Yes
    So you have actually taken 1500 shots of the same subject? Are you kidding me?
    Gear:
    Nikon D40|18-55mm AF-S|55-200mm AF-S VR|35mm AF-S f/1.8
    Pro
    My Flickr


  11. #11
    Been spending a lot of time on here!
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    115
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Honest answer to that question, No. I never had to. I have shot simple subjects hundreds of times without boredom just to experiment. Maybe I should have typed 800, maybe 600. I didn't think anyone would take the totals so literal.

    The point is that there are hundreds of different ways to photograph something, most are not ideal, but the best way to know this is to see it as you take them. That I don't believe can be argued.

  12. #12
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    14,377
    My Gallery
    (4)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig G View Post
    Honest answer to that question, No. I never had to. I have shot simple subjects hundreds of times without boredom just to experiment. Maybe I should have typed 800, maybe 600. I didn't think anyone would take the totals so literal.

    The point is that there are hundreds of different ways to photograph something, most are not ideal, but the best way to know this is to see it as you take them. That I don't believe can be argued.
    The point is... In the exercise you described 90% of the shots would be unusable, and the other 10% would be almost identical...

  13. #13
    No longer a newbie, moving up!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    57
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    keep shooting. watch youtube vids if your not the book reading type. shoot in Manual mode to learn

  14. #14
    Been spending a lot of time on here!
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    115
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by O|||||||O View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig G View Post
    Honest answer to that question, No. I never had to. I have shot simple subjects hundreds of times without boredom just to experiment. Maybe I should have typed 800, maybe 600. I didn't think anyone would take the totals so literal.

    The point is that there are hundreds of different ways to photograph something, most are not ideal, but the best way to know this is to see it as you take them. That I don't believe can be argued.
    The point is... In the exercise you described 90% of the shots would be unusable, and the other 10% would be almost identical...
    I agree with your evaluation of the excercise, however that is not the point. The point is to experience what can happen in all modes in various settings.

  15. #15
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    14,377
    My Gallery
    (4)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1163 times
    I don't have time to write up an exercise right now (maybe when I get home tomorrow) - gotta go to bed soon (...work)...

    If I did though... I would focus on metering...

    What does 1 stop over/under do? What do the various metering modes do? How does what you meter on affect the photo?

    ...That's something you can learn from.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Totally Zen...C&C Please!
    By Jifferz in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2010, 10:05 AM
  2. Totally new
    By Liamsford in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 08:51 AM
  3. Hi - totally new to this
    By mattlacey in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 10:19 PM
  4. Totally New
    By zphreaky1 in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-2007, 04:35 PM
  5. totally new ;totally stupid!
    By fen in forum Photography Equipment & Products
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 10:54 AM

Search tags for this page

Rokinon D900

Click on a term to search for related topics.