Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Been spending a lot of time on here!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    2 times

Is it worth it to go to school for photography?

Or would it better just to learn from others and own your own and just jump into the field and save that college money on equipment and investing on starting things up yourself?

I love photography and I want to do it for a living I just don't know where to start to actually try and make a living from it. For those of you who are making a living being a photographer I'd like some advice.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    11 times
    Depends on you but why pay for something you can learn from books and practice? It doesn't involve a diploma. Just my opinion.
    Canon 1D mk IV | 5D mk II | T1i (500D) | 35 1.4L | 16-35 2.8L | 24-105 4L | 70-200 2.8L II | Siggy 85mm 1.4 | Couple Canon 580EX | Other random ****s that help me with my mediocre photography.

"Avedon sucked, Karsh sucked, Adam sucked, Mary Ellen sucked, Cowart sucked, Jarvis sucked. Every photographer in all of history was a horrible photographer for some period of time. They learned, they grew, they had dark days, they persevered. - Zack Arias

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    180 times
    Depends on what kind of learner/student the person is too. If you pick up things very quickly etc. I'm sure one of the proffesionals will chime in.
    Dee
    Nikon D700 & D90 w/lenses and various other crap.

My Photography Blog
    updated every now & then.
    myflickr

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2 times
    I'll tell you right now hallmark school of phoptography is 60 G's for 10 months
    This is my camera There are many like it, but this one is mine. My camera is my best friend.
    It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My camera, without me is useless. Without my camera, I am useless.

I am Big, I am Mike Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (111)
    Liked
    1679 times
    I love photography and I want to do it for a living
    Well, do you have any idea about the type of photography you want to do for a living? If you want to run your own business, then a business education would probably be a lot more beneficial than a photographic education. If you want to work directly for another company, then it may not matter, but having the education credentials might help land that type of job (although skill & talent will probably trump credentials).

Either way, photography isn't one of the trades that requires education & certification, like Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Electricians etc. But it usually doesn't hurt to get some education.

Been spending a lot of time on here!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    2 times
    It's just I want to do photography and my mom wants me to get a college degree and I don't feel like I need to go to college for photography but then again what if I don't make it in the photography field. I'm just unsure of what I should do.

I want to do about all kinds of photography commercial, fashion, portraits, product, fine art, photo journalism, stock I want to do it all. Not so much weddings though. haha

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    466 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ball View Post
    I'll tell you right now hallmark school of phoptography is 60 G's for 10 months
    And community education courses are almost cheap as free.

[speaking as a non professional photographer, but also as someone who has experience in specialized diplomas.....]

It really depends on your endgame. Do you wish to be a full time photographist, or will this be a supplemental income? Have you done the research as to the average salary of a photographologist? Are you comfortable making about $16,000 a year for the first several years of your career? (based on an educated guesstimate of income in your average LARGE city..... cut that in half if your city has a population smaller than you shoe size)

I could be wrong, you could be the best thing to happen to photology since reusable flashes, but based on the number of sharks in the proverbial tank you would have your work cut out for you to make it out the gate with a primary income in photography. I could also be wrong about how difficult it would be to break into a career as a professional photomaker, but based no what I've been reading here I don't think I am.

My advice to you.... and I wish I took this advice before getting my two near useless degrees in stringed instrument restoration..... talk with folks that have graduated from this school 5 years ago. Figure out if they are making a living with what they learned at the school..... figure out how much they make (on average) per year. I have learned that people who have graduated from these types of schools (both specialized and four year) are more than willing to give lots of information to prospective students.

Talk to professionals in your town. See if they offer community ed classes..... I would bet that more than one of them could use a hand around the studio from an unpaid intern........

Just sayin'.

FWIW, my .02, YMMV and all that. Feel free to completely dsregard the above advice.
    I think you will find the best way to become a better photographer is to ask for C&C or advice, then bitch and whine about the critique and/or advice you are given because it's not what you want to hear.

Well, maybe not the best way, but its by far the most entertaining.

Also, just because you don't know how to use your equipment doesn't mean others shouldn't learn how to use theirs.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    466 times
    And one more thing...... if you want to go to college and get a degree.. (and you should....) look into a nice 4 year degree majored in business management (then maybe minor in photography). That would, in my opinion, be more important to a private photography studio than a degree in photography.

Again, FWIW, My .02 and all that...
    I think you will find the best way to become a better photographer is to ask for C&C or advice, then bitch and whine about the critique and/or advice you are given because it's not what you want to hear.

Well, maybe not the best way, but its by far the most entertaining.

Also, just because you don't know how to use your equipment doesn't mean others shouldn't learn how to use theirs.

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    15 times
    An on-line or correspondence course may not be a bad idea. I just signed up for a Fundamentals of Digital Photography course through New York Institute of Photography. It has 16 lessons which they mail to you including books, cds, dvds, etc. and it is interactive online as well. Something to check out. I saw their ad in Popular Photography magazine and you can work at your own pace. You have up to 2 years to complete the course. Here is the info: NYIP - Overview of NYIP photography courses - Professional photography, digital photography
    Canon EOS Rebel T2i
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM *new*
    Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash

flickr ~ www.aprilreppucci.com

"Living in the fisheye lens caught in the camera eye." -RUSH

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    79 times
    Yep major in Business or even Graphic Artists with photography as minor.
    Would make your mother feel more secure that you are getting a real degree.
    And will give you the additional skills to become a successful photographer if that is what you choose.
    If not and you change your mind then left with skills that can be applied to many other fields.
    Present Kit: D90 with MB-D80 grip 35mm f1.8G AF-S Sigma 10-20 Nikon 55-200mm f4-5.6G AF-S VR

My Portfolio
    My Flickr
    My D40/D60 Blog

KmH
    Helping photographers learn to fish
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (1)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    4045 times
    . . . . . . Keith . . . . . . .How Do I Use My Digital SLR?...

* * * * * * * * * * A photograph is a roughly approximate 2-D interpretation of a 3-D reality. * * * * * * * * * *

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    4994 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JbleezyJ View Post
    I want to do about all kinds of photography commercial, fashion, portraits, product, fine art, photo journalism, stock I want to do it all.
    Good luck with that business model.
    Best thread EVER!

Moderator Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    4526 times
    How old are you?? Go to college.......at the very least go for biz. Your mom is looking out for you. That doesn't mean that you can't become a photographer......it just means you have more options.
    Dave Harken: Life is a marathon and you cannot win a marathon without putting a few band aids on your nipples!
    "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." Tyler Durden

My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    0 times
    you'll be broke within 3 months. assuming you have three months of living expenses in your savings

I run a photo business part time. I work full time in IT. I've made < 4 figures this year with photography. I really need several thousand dollars to put towards advertising.
    www.blazingcirclephotography.com
    Photography Services for Kansas City metro area

I am Big, I am Mike Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (111)
    Liked
    1679 times
    Also, as sad as it is, there is a difference between liking photography and having to make a living from it. What I mean is that when you are forced to do it, to pay the bills, it may not be as much fun anymore.
    But don't be put off by that...being able to make your living, doing what you truly love, is the big key to being happy in life.

If you think that maybe you just really like photography...then become a doctor or a dentist etc. Those are the people who can actually afford all the cool photography gear and can afford to travel to the cool places to take photos.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads