TPF Junkie!
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (23)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    208 times
    Quote Originally Posted by e.rose View Post
    My question is... why does it bother you so much?
    I didn't say it bothers me. I said I wonder why people do it. I've seen it a bunch of times where KmH wanted to edit someone's photo to show them what a much improved version would look like but the person wouldn't allow edits so they end up losing out. I think beginners who use that setting cheat themselves out of a valuable learning tool. That's all.
    jowensphoto likes this.
    just gone...

TPF Junkie!
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    3320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrose89 View Post
    Here's a question though! If you someone edits an image for you, it is ethical to lay claim for the quality of the photo? Is it still completely your photo or should you give credit?

I'm guessing it still your photo. From the way I've hear it PP is just the modern day form of film processing. You don't give wal-mart credit when you develop your prints.

What do you think?
    I get your point--it's all just post-processing, whether it's a lab or a computer software program, but personally, for digital photos, I wouldn't USE someone else's edited version of MY photo anywhere that might even give the impression it was my work. I'd only use it to learn how to do the same thing myself and then I might post the result somewhere else.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    163 times
    Because I find that the majority of the time, people butcher photos in the name of enhancing here.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    526 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ph0enix

I didn't say it bothers me. I said I wonder why people do it. I've seen it a bunch of times where KmH wanted to edit someone's photo to show them what a much improved version would look like but the person wouldn't allow edits so they end up losing out. I think beginners who use that setting cheat themselves out of a valuable learning tool. That's all.
    I have to say KmH has helped me so much by editing some of my photos and telling me how he did it and sending me links. Peano had also helped me tremendously with my editing abilities.

I can understand why some people do it though. Some don't want a bunch of newbies playing with their work. But...for newbies it is a valuable tool.
    Megan

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    4925 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ph0enix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by e.rose View Post
    My question is... why does it bother you so much?
    I think, in my time here, I had one person still not allow an edit after asking. I put them on ignore. If I can't visually show what I am talking about, when they asked for help, well, I won't bother with them in the future.

My photos are NOT OK to edit.
    I like how you think: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/p...t-ok-edit.html
    Old thread, same title. LOL
    Last edited by Bitter Jeweler; 06-27-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    ph0enix likes this.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1826 times
    Chiller said it best (and most of you have no idea of who I speak of) ....... My Camera, My Vision.

It's nice to be asked and if asked by someone I get along with, I usually don't have a problem.

For newbies, I suggest to open up for edits until you have a handle on things.
    The Liver is Evil and Must Be Punished.
    Shooter of FX, DX and MFT

We boogied in the kitchen
    We
    boogied in the hall
    I got something on my finger
    So I wiped it on the wall

Chuck Berry - Reelin' and Rockin' - Lancaster Arts Festival 1972

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ph0enix View Post
    I'm wondering why so many people use that setting. It hinders your learning process, IMO.
    Agreed. It shows that the person has closed his/her mind already. No point in giving that person feedback.
    "Well begun is half done."
    -Aristotle

Mo.
    Been spending a lot of time on here!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    My reason is very simple. Someone edits one of my photos. It looks much better, because I am such a bad photographer and a blind slug could do Photostrop, or whatever it is called, better than I can. I lose my job when the client discovers she can get better pictures, cheaper from someone else. I wallow in self despair, spend all my money on gin, and can't afford to feed the cats. Do you want two innocent kitties to go hungry? Well do you?
    Nooooo kitties ;(

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sm4him View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrose89 View Post
    Here's a question though! If you someone edits an image for you, it is ethical to lay claim for the quality of the photo? Is it still completely your photo or should you give credit?

I'm guessing it still your photo. From the way I've hear it PP is just the modern day form of film processing. You don't give wal-mart credit when you develop your prints.

What do you think?
    I get your point--it's all just post-processing, whether it's a lab or a computer software program, but personally, for digital photos, I wouldn't USE someone else's edited version of MY photo anywhere that might even give the impression it was my work. I'd only use it to learn how to do the same thing myself and then I might post the result somewhere else.
    I feel the same. I don't neccessarily think there is wrong with using someone's edit, but I personally like to examine the edits done to my photos and try to match what someone else did if I like the edit.
    Call me Angel! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/23AnwA

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (2)
    Liked
    1636 times
    good or bad, my photo works are my art form and I don't want anyone just "fixing" my art without the decency of asking first. For that and only that reason. If asked, and I have been, I allow you to show me your take

TPF Junkie!
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2222 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Trever1t View Post
    good or bad, my photo works are my art form and I don't want anyone just "fixing" my art without the decency of asking first. For that and only that reason. If asked, and I have been, I allow you to show me your take
    Agree with your points. Don't mind if someone offers their interpretation if I'm asked first. But I have seen edits that butcher my photos (which has happened on this forum) that were intended to "fix" my work.

That being said, I'm open to seeing others interpretations. I just don't like seeing radical deviations that I find are in poor taste.
    www.MajeedB.com

Corvallis, Oregon based landscape and portrait photographer.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2086 times
    Because my edit is the greatest already.
    USAGANI.COM - FACEBOOK
    5D3, 5D2, 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 35 f/1.4L, 50 f/1.4, Minolta 58 f/1.2, Tamron 90 f/2.8 macro, 135 f/2L
    Fuji x100s

TPF Junkie!
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2222 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwettylens View Post
    Because my edit is the greatest already.
    www.MajeedB.com

Corvallis, Oregon based landscape and portrait photographer.

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    214 times
    I really don't care if people want to show me their version of any of my photos. The original is still my version and nothing anyone else does to it can change that.

I don't get why someone would get so worked up about it... If the new version looks crappy, then so what? Like I said, it's someone else's version, not yours. If you like the results, then use the new info you've learned. If you don't like it, ignore it and be secure in the fact that yours is better. If it's something I don't want people messing with, I probably wouldn't post it on any forums anyway.

No longer a newbie, moving up!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    6 times
    I agree with the general consensus that for a person new to photography it does them a great disservice to not allow their photo's to be edited. For the seasoned photographers I guess it's their prerogative to now allow their photos to be edited.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Ads