Thread: Underwater Photography?

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times

Underwater Photography?

So, I'm new to photography and I have a question about underwater photography. Do I need a special underwater camera, or is there a special casing I could use for my DSLR?

I have a canon 1100D, please recommend me the best and most affordable cases. Thank you!

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1935 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DuneRose View Post
    So, I'm new to photography and I have a question about underwater photography. Do I need a special underwater camera, or is there a special casing I could use for my DSLR?

I have a canon 1100D, please recommend me the best and most affordable cases. Thank you!
    "Best" and "most affordable" do not go together, especially when it comes to underwater camera housings for DSLRs.

Several years ago, when I was researching it because I was diving every weekend, Ikelite was THE brand of housing everyone who had real experience recommended. Here's a link to their housing for the 1100D: Underwater Housing for Canon Digital SLR Camera

Suggested retail price for that housing: $1400.00. Amazon's got it for $1299.95 though: Amazon.com: Ikelite Underwater Camera Housing for Canon EOS Rebel T3 / 1100D Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Depending on how deep you plan to go, you might be able to get away with one of the cheap plastic bag type camera housings. I just don't know if I could really fully put my trust in one, personally.
    Your honest C&C is always welcome and appreciated. For those with such interests: My Gear
    "Photography's never been merely about photographing what you could see; it's always been about photographing what you wanted to see." ~ Ctein
    Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    322 times
    I decided that I did not spend enough time underwater and the whole idea with a good camera in a case still worries me as much as using debit cards. I did buy a little pocket sized $200 Panasonic Lumix waterproof camera on a recent trip that I can use in a beach bag and I dont have to worry about. I snapped and snapped and snapped I got one photo of a fish. Here it is. Wow..LOL.

jebigabre likes this.
    My Edits are NOT OK to EDIT

Lina Lamont: I am an arteest....

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgieGirl View Post
    I decided that I did not spend enough time underwater and the whole idea with a good camera in a case still worries me as much as using debit cards. I did buy a little pocket sized $200 Panasonic Lumix waterproof camera on a recent trip that I can use in a beach bag and I dont have to worry about. I snapped and snapped and snapped I got one photo of a fish. Here it is. Wow..LOL.

Looks good, I like it

TPF Junkie!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    1720 times
    If you think photography is expensive above the surface, wait until you want to do it properly below the surface.

If it is just to get a few shots, as on vacation or while doing recreational snorkling/diving, then a waterproof P&S will probably work quite well. I've used a Canon D10 for several years, and it produces good images for a P&S.

If you want to use your DSLR, then as Buckster already noted, things get a lot more complicated, as you need a waterproof case that allows you to manipulate all the controls of the camera - and that doesn't come cheap. The moment you need additional light, things really get expensive. So, unless you are extremely motivated and are willing to spend the money, the simplest solution is to go for a waterproof P&S.

I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgieGirl View Post

I see two fish in there...
    Nikon D90 gripped
    Nikon 18-200 AFS VR
    Nikon 70-300 VR
    Nikon 28-80 AF-D
    Nikon 50mm 1.8 AF
    Nikon SB 600
    Manfrotto 680B Monopod W/ 804RC2 Head
    Sherpa Velbon 200R Tripod
    ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control
    Held together by a Crumpler 7 million dollar home or a Swiss Army sling bag

Ads