Thread: Totally New

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times

Totally New

Hello. Name is Kevin. I am new to the forum and a typical point and shoot "photographer". I am looking to learn more about photography. I have a friend who is a professional and another who is a professional video guy (he does all video aspects) I am currently a student. I was a plumber before that and an emt before that. married with 3 beautiful kids. I am interested in buying another digital camera that gives me more control. I was looking at some online and in some camera shops around here. The shops seem to be trying to get me into the 700+ range for like a nikon d40x I think it was. 10 mp and no lens. any recommendations. It seems to me I should be able to get something a little less expensive as I am shooting with a regular sony 5mp 3x optical zoom right now. Hope to get to know some of you and learn a lot.

Kev in Phx

I am Big, I am Mike Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (111)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    1679 times
    Welcome to the forum.

A lot of 'point & shooters' have yet to realize that there is a line that divides digital cameras. 95% of them have tiny little sensors (the digital film, if you will). Tiny sensors can give you decent results in good conditions but struggle in poor lighting etc. It's not a matter of mega pixels, even some 8 mega pixel cameras have tiny sensors...while some 6 mega pixels cameras have larger sensors and produce better results.

The cameras with larger sensors are, for the most part, digital SLR cameras (like the D40x). These do tend to be more expensive (starting around $500-$600)...but I think they are 10 times better than a camera that costs $400-$500).

There are many other benefits. For example, DSLR cameras are often much faster in terms of shooting speed and shutter lag. Many 'digi-cams' take too long to snap the photo after you press the button.
    Digital SLR cameras also have interchangeable lenses...so you are not stuck with a lens that is attached to the camera.
    Also the investment is much better. A DSLR drops in resale value, much slower than any digi-cam...and the lenses drop much slower still. In fact, if you buy top of the line lenses...they will probably hold 80-90% of their value for the life of the lens.

I guess you have to ask yourself how serious you are about this as a hobby. You can certainly get a cheaper camera that will allow you to change the aperture and shutter speed. Heck, those digi-cams even capture video. But if you want your gear to be able to expand and grow as your level of photography goes up...it would make sense to look into an SLR system.

TPF Junkie!
    The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no idea just how funny that is)
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    245 times
    As you mentioned Nikon, have you looked into the D50? Yes it's discontinued but is still a fine camera and takes excellent photos to the 20 inch range. (mega pixels are a myth- you don't really need them unless you are going to be printing large or diagnosing skin ailments from someone's portrait)

You can get into one of those and a 'usable' kit lens for around $500. The D50 also has a spot meter (very helpful for those artsy/moody shots with difficult light) and the hot shoe doesn't melt if you wind up using off camera strobes that use more than a 6V trigger.

mike
    Luck favors the prepared.

To be in the right place at the right time you have to first be in the right place.

Do you really care which camera I use?

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    I was actually looking at one of those on ebay right now. I figure it's going to take me a little while to "out grow" one so why drop 1k right off the bat. I may get one and never use it (though I doubt it) Thanks.

TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    Kev in Phx

Ads