TPF Noob!
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times

any backpack that can meet what I want?

Hey all,

I'm just starting to learn about photography (recently managed to pick up a mint Sony Nex 5 for cheap -- not the best beginner's camera, I know, but the price really justified itself), and I've gotta say it's a great community you all have here

A quick search didn't really yield what I'm looking for which is why I'm making this thread.

I'm looking for a general purpose backpack (not one designed to specifically hold camera gear) that could also hold a tripod. My preferences:

1) General purpose (I do alot of traveling/walking/driving around - doesn't need to have a compartment for a camera as I may just pick up a crumpler haven and throw that in there) - I currently only have the nex5 with 1 lens, so I don't really have that much gear to lug around
    2) Aesthetics - I'm a sucker for good looking products so this is a huge bonus if the bag looks good
    3) Needs to be able to hold a 22" tripod, preferably on the outside of the bag
    4) Budget - ~$100, more if the backpack really justifies it

Thanks for any help, and I apologize if this topic has been beat to death and I couldn't find the threads

EDIT - this Kata bag looks very close to what I want, the only downside seems to be that there's only one pocket for a tripod/water bottle.. and I don't know whether that pocket can hold a 22" tripod -- the tripod in their pictures seems quite small. Actually, the bag itself also seems too small as well
    http://www.kata-bags.ca/product/0/KT...nses_%2B_flash

EDIT 2 - also really like lowepro's flipside 300 -- only downside is that there appears to be very little cargo room for anything other than camera gear
    Last edited by seechoo; 04-27-2012 at 09:16 PM.

has a hat around here somewhere Site Moderator
    TPF Supporter

My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    2886 times
    This is the big problem with a lot of the camera bag market - most of them are basically bags made to hold camera gear and offer very little additional storage space for regular gear - whereas if you go for normal bags they often don't have straps strong/suitable enough to support something like a tripod.

Best I could suggest is the Lowe-Pro minitrekker - however I've a feeling that bag might be off the market (plus it has the tripod mount on the back of the pack not the side so it can be a somewhat far from your centre of gravity).

Best thing though is to get your gear and head down to a local shop. Considering your demands I'd try a camera shop, but also a regular hiking shop as well.
    How to get critique on your photography!

The Mentor Scheme mentoring on TPF all are welcome to read and apply

Best photos on the net!
    well at least I like to think so - sometimes

Mr. Rain Cloud
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    9630 times
    My verdict is that backpacks suck for photography use. They are okay for walking through an airport with. Beyond that, mostly a PITA. others may disagree, but my experience is that almost "any" bag can be rigged to carry a small, 22-inch tripod. And almost *any* camera bag, crumpler, messenger bag, Domke,Tenba,Tamrac,etc.etc., camera bag is a better choice than any backpack, on multiple metrics. Again, my position is that "backpacks suck for photography use".
    "It's about time people started taking photography seriously, and treating it as a hobby." Elliott Erwitt

My most recent photos posted to TPF http://www.pbase.com/derrel/recent_tpf_uploads&page=all

Ads