Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 65
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Photoshop vs gimp

  1. #31
    Dao
    Dao is offline
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    5,858
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    332 times
    GIMP is good for what it is target for. If you are just looking for a software for photo retouching, this is the best bang for the bucks. It will do most of the basic photo post processing stuff. i.e. Resizing, sharpening, color, hue and saturation adjustment, cropping, level and curve etc. There are plugins you can download and install for more added features.

    However, there are some features that I wish has such as patch tool and better lens correction tools.



  2. #32
    Chief Free Electron Relocator
    TPF Supporter

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    14,689
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    4503 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dao View Post
    .............and better lens correction tools.
    Try this.
    Dao likes this.
    I see dead pixels!
    Go forth and actuate!



    Lens Across America, ROUND 3!!!!


  3. #33
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    7,526
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1622 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dao View Post
    GIMP is good for what it is target for. If you are just looking for a software for photo retouching, this is the best bang for the bucks. It will do most of the basic photo post processing stuff. i.e. Resizing, sharpening, color, hue and saturation adjustment, cropping, level and curve etc. There are plugins you can download and install for more added features.

    However, there are some features that I wish has such as patch tool and better lens correction tools.
    Umm. Gimp was designed for web graphics All this photoshop stuff came after. It's hue/sat really bites. Maybe there is a plugin, but I shouldn't have to download a plugin for hue/sat.
    75% of the internet is wrong. The rest is pornography.

  4. #34
    Been spending a lot of time on here!
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    stl
    Posts
    211
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    23 times
    haha thats why i use gimp... im coming from web graphics and design to photography...

  5. #35
    Been spending a lot of time on here!
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    116
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Liked
    14 times
    When it comes to straight photography (non-graphic design / advanced special effects) I find that 99% of editing can be done in Aperture (or Lightroom if you're on Windows). Since Aperture 3 came out my Photoshop is basically collecting dust. I keep it around for the liquify filter and that's about it. LOL
    .
    Subscribe to my YouTube Channel :: For Great Video Tutorials

  6. #36
    Dao
    Dao is offline
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    5,858
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    332 times
    Quote Originally Posted by unpopular View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dao View Post
    GIMP is good for what it is target for. If you are just looking for a software for photo retouching, this is the best bang for the bucks. It will do most of the basic photo post processing stuff. i.e. Resizing, sharpening, color, hue and saturation adjustment, cropping, level and curve etc. There are plugins you can download and install for more added features.

    However, there are some features that I wish has such as patch tool and better lens correction tools.
    Umm. Gimp was designed for web graphics All this photoshop stuff came after. It's hue/sat really bites. Maybe there is a plugin, but I shouldn't have to download a plugin for hue/sat.
    In July of 1995, the author of GIMP ask a question in newsgroup ...

    "Suppose someone decided to write a graphical image manipulation program (akin to photoshop). Out of curiousity (and maybe something else), I have a few (2) questions:"

    And that's how it was started.

  7. #37
    Mo.
    Mo. is offline
    Been spending a lot of time on here!
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    173
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by photog4life View Post
    im 14... my parents were worried i would look at porn haha
    LOL! Tell them to buy it for you because I used to have gimp and when I switched to PS a new world appeared.

  8. #38
    Been spending a lot of time on here!
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    stl
    Posts
    211
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by photog4life View Post
    im 14... my parents were worried i would look at porn haha
    LOL! Tell them to buy it for you because I used to have gimp and when I switched to PS a new world appeared.
    no they wouldn't let me have internet... i would have to buy PS myself...

  9. #39
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    410
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo. View Post

    LOL! Tell them to buy it for you because I used to have gimp and when I switched to PS a new world appeared.
    Really? Non-destructive editing and 16 bit support is a big deal, but not a new world. I could add a few other things to the list like a superior healing tool. Still, if you are skilled in Gimp, your skill set will definitely transfer to Pshop once you decide to break out the big bucks.

  10. #40
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Viriginia, US
    Posts
    2,749
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    748 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dao View Post
    ... and better lens correction tools.
    I believe the UFRaw plug-in also has lens correction. Not exactly sure how great they are though.
    Canon T2i (gripped)
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    50mm f/1.8
    430ex
    430ex ii





    FOSS Fangirl

    The only thing worse than making smart ass remarks on internet forums is complaining about the people who do.

  11. #41
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    7,526
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1622 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Proteus617 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo. View Post

    LOL! Tell them to buy it for you because I used to have gimp and when I switched to PS a new world appeared.
    Really? Non-destructive editing and 16 bit support is a big deal, but not a new world. I could add a few other things to the list like a superior healing tool. Still, if you are skilled in Gimp, your skill set will definitely transfer to Pshop once you decide to break out the big bucks.
    Just curious, how well do you know PS?

    There are enough subtle differences between the two that make PS "a whole new world", and 16-bit is not just "a big deal" it's a "whole new world" in of itself! It's makes a HUGE difference is not only quality but how you approach editing, especially in how you approach shadow detail. There comes a point when 8-bit in itself truly becomes limiting.

    I however have completely switched to Photoline. For photography, there are some features I really prefer over Photoshop. But for prepress, Photoshop is the only raster product I'd use.
    75% of the internet is wrong. The rest is pornography.

  12. #42
    I spend too much of my life on TPF!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    410
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by unpopular View Post
    Just curious, how well do you know PS?
    Honestly, not as well as you.

    Quote Originally Posted by unpopular View Post
    There are enough subtle differences between the two that make PS "a whole new world", and 16-bit is not just "a big deal" it's a "whole new world" in of itself! It's makes a HUGE difference is not only quality but how you approach editing, especially in how you approach shadow detail. There comes a point when 8-bit in itself truly becomes limiting.
    I can't say you are wrong, especially in regards to shadow detail. If you are a BW film guy (like me) 8 bit images break apart pretty quickly in post. There are some workarounds, but they are time consuming and a second best. Also, adjustment layers seem needlessly complicated when you are a new Pshop user. Takes a while to see why they are set up the way they are and how powerful it is.

  13. #43
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    7,526
    My Gallery
    (0)
    Liked
    1622 times
    Adjustment layers are great, and become indispensable with 16-bit, for no other reason than the files would explode in size if you had to copy the background layer every time you wanted to apply a selective adjustment. I typically have three to five adjustment layers, plus one to three highpass layers on progressively smaller radii for all of my images. Having 8-10 copies of the background, some of which including a mask in 16-bit full color mode would make for very cumbersome editing on all but the most beefy computer systems.
    Last edited by unpopular; 01-04-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    75% of the internet is wrong. The rest is pornography.

  14. #44
    TPF Noob!
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    10
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm very experienced with Photoshop and have used Gimp a little in the past. Personally I don't like Gimp as it's quite difficult to use and not as advanced as Photoshop. Gimp is great for simple editing but more advance stuff, I would stick with PS

  15. #45
    TPF Junkie!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Viriginia, US
    Posts
    2,749
    My Gallery
    (0)
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Liked
    748 times
    Canon T2i (gripped)
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    50mm f/1.8
    430ex
    430ex ii





    FOSS Fangirl

    The only thing worse than making smart ass remarks on internet forums is complaining about the people who do.

 

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. GIMP and Photoshop
    By Morpheuss in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 05:54 AM
  2. Gimp vs Photoshop
    By stephras07 in forum Photography Equipment & Products
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 04:16 AM
  3. GIMP vs. Photoshop
    By Abby Rose in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 07:15 PM
  4. Gimp? Photoshop?
    By Remote in forum Photography Beginners' Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 11:02 AM
  5. GIMP vs Photoshop CS 3
    By jett in forum Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-18-2007, 03:17 AM

Search tags for this page

gimp or lightroom 4
,

gimp vs lightroom

,

gimp vs lightroom 4

,

gimp vs photoshop

,
gimp vs photoshop cs5
,
gimp vs photoshop for photographers
,

lightroom 4 vs gimp

,
lightroom vs gimp
,
lightroom vs gimp 2012
,
photography forum
Click on a term to search for related topics.