0 and 50.....really :(

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by rdzmzda, Dec 20, 2008.

1. rdzmzda

rdzmzda TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dunno take this for a rant or take it for what it is...but people ask for input and you have 50 people looking at something and no one can take five seconds to put something....it sucks looks overexposed....its all wrong but i like....or its great i love it...something...obviously you read the posts :( i dunno just a pet peeve....take it for what it is...oh and u can critique this if you want i recomend posting i suck and im all wrong :D
    oh and by the way it wasnt even my post that im saying this about it was someone elses...

2. majorpayne66

majorpayne66 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with you, but ever notice on the bottom of the forum section it displays that about half the people looking are not registered members. That may be why some our looking but not commenting.

3. Jaymz77

Jaymz77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I hear ya rdzmzda.. although photography has so many levels of expertise. I must admit, I don't nearly reply enough considering the amount of posts I look through. The problem, I think, is we all want constructive criticism.. but the good majority are still in the learning process and really are unable to post a reply to really help another photographer out due to lack of experience or when looking at a beginner shot, we don't want to hurt feelings by saying we flat out think the picture stinks. I feel most of us want this forum to be a gallery for praise. I too am guilty of this.. I mean sure, I say "C&C welcome" but really I am hoping I get a load of replies telling me how great the shot is.

Now when a great photo is posted, it gets tons of positive posts.. well, because its easy to tell someone that have done well. I too want to be a better photographer and sure enjoy when I get a good constructive comment that helps me take a better next shot but with more beginner or novices compared to the pro's, it's more likely you will get a bunch of views and little feedback.

I am trying to be better at using my little bit of experience to provide some good feedback but I also don't want to give in-accurate advise because I 'think' I know what would make it a better photo. I doubt any of this helps but I am at work and bored :)

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Don't ever let it worry you :)
    firstly sometimes a post just gets overlooked - if you fall to the next page and no on has said anything then you are allowed to bump the post back to the first page (just post again to bump it back).
    This effect is seen all over the internet in the bigger photography forums and we all get it from time to time so don't let it put you off. I often find that being a member of a few different forums helps spread things out - you get different people and viewpoints, but also you get more chance that someone will pass by your photo and leave some constructive points for you.
    this is certainly something that is not the fault of TPF nor its running its just how the net works (tip never post photos at weekends if your after crits - lots of people post photo threads at weekends and thus comments tend to get a bit thin)

5. SHWELL

SHWELL TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have noticed this in the beginners section, but I always chalk it up to the fact that it is the beginners section... I am a total noob with no experience and will hesitate to give input on things I know nothing of. I would think that most of the people in this section are new as well and prob feel the same way...

Out of the 50, only 5-10 are experienced people..... Just leave it at that and keep on shooting....

6. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Just look at my post count. I'm no expert, but I've been here for a year now and I've responded plenty when I can.

I don't post photos. I don't because I've gotten maybe 2 responses to anything I post. I have asked a few questions as well, and I get no responses to those either.

I just come on here to read and learn from those who do get responses. I still respond when I can to the people who are new, well, because I don't have much expertise to lend to those who have more expertise than I. So I stick with responding to beginners, or whom I assume from the thread is fairly new.

There's no reason to post if no one is going to respond. I think it's an arrogance thing because I do not have a dSLR, just a lowly superzoom. There's plenty of arrogance on this forum.

7. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    the noob section is not just visited by noobs ;)
    many people surf the site on new posts rather than jsut bey section so plenty of more experienced people willl stop by - part of the key to getting responces is to explain well the problem (as best you can) - show example photos if you have them - outline any thoughts you have, even if they are wrong its showing that your activly trying to learn rather than just waiting for answers.

As for the snobbery thing I think some people refrain from commenting specific advice on anything but SLRs because of a lack of understanding of point and shoots. Some can alter aperture, shutter speed, ISO - others can't and I for one, don't like telling someone a solution only to find that they can't perform that due to limitations in kit.

As for the snobbery I take it you missed the phone camera thread? ;)
    Honestly why should it let you stop - yes you can learn a lot from reading, but photography is not just a science its an art - and thus some things just can't be learnt or described in words alone.
    I have had plenty of posts that have had few or no replies - sometimes I bump them and sometimes that gives them the chance to perform - other times they just die off - It dosn't stop me posting nor seeking comments/
    what does though is grey muddy weather - now that is a real photo stopper ;)

8. rdzmzda

rdzmzda TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    oh no joke this weather blows and i havent been able to go out and shoot in a week :( argh....tear....

9. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A lot of the views are accrewed by bots and guests that however does not mean there are no registered viewers looking to the thread, but still. I do get where you are comming from but what can ya do.

10. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    "About half" is a major understatement. The majority of people looking at threads is only just visitors who CANNOT reply, since they're not members. So it may WELL happen that threads sink to the bottom, have been looked at by many, and haven't got any replies.

Sometimes, when I have the time, I go 0-reply-thread hunting and by giving them a reply put them back to the top. Has happened that after that, the member got MANY more answers.

To be thinking that the Beginners' Forum is the one that is LIKELY to have only few answers is as wrong as can be, as I found out the Beginners' Forum is the one with the most traffic of all. Post something into the regular galleries and ... you either have to be TOPNOTCH, or post a photo with loads of errors. Then you might get replies.

Normal photos, pretty, well-done, nice subject, but not precisely top-notch and you can just about forget it. To me it seems that then people come, look, think "Ah! Okay!" and go again. Done. Means to me that my photography must be utterly boring.

For don't anyone ever think this phenomenon of "0 replies" happened to newcomers only and depended on a member's post-count. Believe me (and I should know), it does NOT depend on that.

But don't ask me what it depends on. I comment OFTEN. I did not acquire my post-count in the Off Topics (back in times when posting in there still added to the post count), playing games and such. Most of it was acquired by commenting on people's pics.

But sometimes I also feel "out of the mood". Or don't have the time! It does happen that people have a life outside TPF. I have heard about that!!