'08 Subject Assignment-SONG TITLE- Due August 9th

cbp0708085.jpg

Joanna Newsom - Only Skin.

scrapeknee_c1-r.jpg

"scrape your knee; it is only skin
makes the sound of violins"

Phew! this shot took me an hour and a half and i had to use my own knee (would rather have had a feminine knee in there), it's hot, space is very limited, one of my flash units fell on the floor (but was ok).. balancing on my tip toes to get the angle of the leg correct to guide the bow and knee to the bottom of the violin and lead the eye up the violin. (i might have to post this elsewhere though to get some critique but it was shot for this challenge).. i need a drink.

scrapeknee_c1-r.jpg

Phew! this shot took me an hour and a half and i had to use my own knee (would rather have had a feminine knee in there), it's hot, space is very limited, one of my flash units fell on the floor (but was ok).. balancing on my tip toes to get the angle of the leg correct to guide the bow and knee to the bottom of the violin and lead the eye up the violin. (i might have to post this elsewhere though to get some critique but it was shot for this challenge).. i need a drink.

Very nice! .... pours you a marguerita ...

scrapeknee_c1-r.jpg

Fantastic shot!!! Talk about creativity! :hug:: Congrats!

Ditto Meg and icassell's comments. So nicely done.

BTW, icassell, would you mind letting us know your name?

Joanna Newsom - Sawdust & Diamonds.

sawdust-r.jpg

"and the little white dove
made with love, made with love:
made with glue, and a glove, and some pliers"

"then the slow lip of fire moves across the prairie with precision
while, somewhere, with your pliers and glue you make your first incision
and in a moment of almost-unbearable vision
doubled over with the hunger of lions
"hold me close," cooed the dove
who was stuffed now with sawdust and diamonds
"

Well there's only five songs on the 'Ys' album so i thought i'd carry on and do them to complete the set, keeping the same sort of style and ratio/size. Not so happy with this one as i had to fake the diamonds a little - i did use ice but it was melting so fast i couldn't get too much of a decent reflection off of them.

I'll get the other three songs done eventually :thumbup:

K Pugh- you used ice?! Where?! That is a way cool shot. I really like the sparkles in the sawdust. Great job!

Ah, i used ice which is placed in the sawdust. I was hoping to get a sparkle off of it from the flash but it was quite faint plus the ice was melting fast so i gave up - i just used the paintbrush tool with a star brush pattern to add a little fake sparkle lol.

Thanks for the idea though, good fun to do song titles and i've tried another of the songs to attempt to finish the set of 5. This song is called 'Emily' which i couldn't dare to create a photo from lol so i've made a scene that i see in my head when listening to it which goes with some lyrics, too.

emily-r.jpg

"There is a rusty light on the pines tonight
Sun pouring wine, lord, or marrow
Down into the bones of the birches
And the spires of the churches
Jutting out from the shadows
The yoke, and the axe, and the old smokestacks and the bale and the barrow
And everything sloped like it was dragged from a rope
In the mouth of the south below........

Though all I knew of the rote universe were those pleiades loosed in december.....

That the meteorite is a source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid of the fire that propelled it to thee"

I really don't know how to make it better, any ideas would be appreciated.. i really want to make a good set of the 5 songs.

(i was thinking take a real shot of the Pleiades, a real shot of a church spire surrounded with trees, put them together and fake in a small subtle meteor.. not my thing really as i like to get it in one exposure but hey.. it's got to be better)

Last edited:
Here's aquick one I found

Dancing Queen

2700681494_dcd4a4f001.jpg

I like it mamar... Very nicely done!

Crazydad your shot is so precious.. Was there music going on, or was she dancing to the music in her head? My boys do that a lot...lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back