DRodgers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Trying to capture my subjects in the law of three's..
threes.jpg

All three of the heads are in the center. I'd play again.

Now if you had each head in an obvious third, than I'd say yeah, it's in the 'rule of thirds', but this is pretty sketchy.

It still won't really conform to the rule of thirds (I'm not aware of a law of threes... in literature maybe but not photography ;) ), but in general I think the image would benefit from losing a fair bit of empty space on the right, and IMO a lot of the sky too.

Lol I wasnt refering to the rule of thirds but thanks ..

I read an article in a photo rag suggesting subjects are the most interesting in groups of three and I've been playing with it all week.

Thanks for the crop suggestion ZaphodB but for my use I'm still going to PP this yet a bit of cloud ect..

I read an article in a photo rag suggesting subjects are the most interesting in groups of three

oh, that is for very simple reasons:

1: one is just one ...
2: with two you always look for symmetry and balance
3: three is about right, interesting
4: four is even more interesting, but beyond the human brain's capacity, you cannot decide where to look then

It still won't really conform to the rule of thirds

It is certainly the most misused concept (would never call it a rule anyway) ...

In my opinion at least one third of images is wrecked by the concept of thirds being applied, for one third it is ok, and the last third really benefits from it.
That is my personal rule of thirds :p

coming back to that image, a bit better light and a more interesting perspective might improve it a lot. going down on your knees sometimes helps ;)

the horizon aligns with the cows' backs, which is not nice IMHO.

coming back to that image, a bit better light and a more interesting perspective might improve it a lot. going down on your knees sometimes helps ;)

the horizon aligns with the cows' backs, which is not nice IMHO.

Thank you Thats the kind of critique I need I never noticed that the horizen line was level with the backs..

I find I notice my girlfreinds techinical mistakes but I miss mine most of the time.

Sorry, I mistook your 'law of threes' for the 'rule of thirds' - I wasn't trying to suggest you should apply the 'rule' if that wasn't your intention. As for the threes thing, I hadn't heard it described in those terms but I can see it making sense. I'm sure subjects can be interesting in threes for the reasons Alex mentioned; plus you can imply various 'threes' from religion, mythology and literature - though probably not with cow shots ;) but I don't think subjects are necessarily most interesting in groups of three. Like Alex suggested, it's possible to put too much stock in 'rules' or 'laws'.

Most reactions

Back