1.4 vs 1.8?

I adore my 50mm f/1.4G on my D700. It's fast becoming my favorite lens. It's fast, sharp, small, unobtrusive, everything a 50mm should be.

Is $500 worth it over $130? For Average Joe Six-Pak, probably not. But for me, it was worth it in handling alone.

Agreed with Garbz, my 50mm is soft at f/1.4, just like any 50mm, ok at 1.7, just like any 50mm, f/2 is sharp, and you're cutting glass at f/2.8 and up.

Aside from being a good portrait lens for screwing around, the 50mm is actually a phenomenal landscape lens when at f/5.6-f/11. The color out of it is just so easy to work with.

3569190465_e72d94a7ac_o.jpg

I know a guy who uses only the 1.8. he buys a new lens once a year and takes the best pics i have seen to date. The smoother bokeh is a bonus with the 1.4 but if you have any skillz at all, you can achieve this through a little processing time in photoshop. i personally went with the 1.8 because of money. I am active duty and your tax dollars dont pay me enough to really pursue this hobby like i wish i could.

I have had huge success with the 1.8. I love it! I would highly recommend it!

I know a guy who uses only the 1.8. he buys a new lens once a year and takes the best pics i have seen to date. The smoother bokeh is a bonus with the 1.4 but if you have any skillz at all, you can achieve this through a little processing time in photoshop. i personally went with the 1.8 because of money. I am active duty and your tax dollars dont pay me enough to really pursue this hobby like i wish i could.

I have had huge success with the 1.8. I love it! I would highly recommend it!

Getting bokeh with PP? That's just wrong.

Well, time is money. Just get bokeh with every shot, and don't worry about PP it in.

Most reactions

Back