1 TB at Wal-mart

Something else that's funny is seeing how viewpoints of tech change so quickly too. Maybe what a year or two ago??? it seems PC screens were growing out of control. I got my work laptop a couple weeks ago and was told that my 15" monitor was too big. If I'm not mistaken the MacBook (or McBook) sells the most in the 15" display and there's a big push for smaller.

To those that have mentioned where we'll be in a few years... tech grows exponentially and new tech breeds more tech (say that ten times fast). So looking at in that aspect... if you could measure tech... what took us the past 100 years to develop would only take us 10 right now and so forth.

Even now you're starting to see one of the bigger roadblocks to tech not how fast it can advance but how much people can keep up with it.

Cman said:
That's one of the reasons a friend of mine said he was still shooting film; because he would always have it.

And I'm sorry Cman but you're friend is on crack. That's like me saying I ride a horse cuz who knows if I'll be able to find the right part for my car. Don't fear change!!!! ;)

That's one of the reasons a friend of mine said he was still shooting film; because he would always have it.

That's one of the reasons I make prints of my absolutely favorite photos taken with my digital SLR. You can have the best of both worlds!

HOWEVER, if you can get external hard drives with eSATA connections and then arm your computer with the necessary PCI or PCMCIA card to connect via eSATA, you'll have AMAZING speed.

Firewire 1394b (3.2Gb/s) is actually faster than eSATA (even at SATA II aka SATA 3G (as in 3Gb/s)

If I'm not mistaken the MacBook (or McBook) sells the most in the 15" display and there's a big push for smaller.

that is because a laptop is about being portable, especially when you go on planes.

with all my camera gear i am happy to have a tiny laptop in my handluggage on airports.

hmm, poor him, as film is not forever either. not talking of thhouse burning down, but about film degradation over the years. he is invited to see some of my film from 10 years ago ;)

that is actually the reason why i scanned all my film, to make my images survive longer!

I'm thinking of building a RAID system more for fun than anything else. I'm probally going to have 1.5 TB array for my PC (4X 500 GB HD's in RAID 5). I could go as high as 3.5 TB (8X 500GB HD in RAID 5). Based on current prices that would be ~$1000 for the 1.5TB and ~$1600 for the 3.5TB. I have tons of music and movies and now pictures to store. It's more than the WalMart thing but I hate the performance of the "toaster" external devices as well as they only operate in JBOD or RAID 0 modes. I used to be systems administrator for a large company with more than 100 servers and I know very well how a bad HD can ruin your day.

As for long term storage I am planning on using DVD's. I'm going to make 2 copies, each of the disks will be from different manufacturers. Again, I'm a bit overzealous on backups due to my background.

Firewire 1394b (3.2Gb/s) is actually faster than eSATA (even at SATA II aka SATA 3G (as in 3Gb/s)

Both of those speeds are misleading as in real life you're never going to get close to that number unless you have a HUGE array of disks and the more important factor is hard drive speed. The best thing to look at is the cache size of the HD and the Burst Read rates. And all in all few people are going to be able to tell the difference in between the two in speed. Personally I would go the USB/Firewire route as they are more universal and easier to share or move to another machine.

Both of those speeds are misleading as in real life you're never going to get close to that number unless you have a HUGE array of disks and the more important factor is hard drive speed.

Yes, thanks, I'm well aware, but we're comparing interfaces, so all you can compare is theoretical limits. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back