1 wedding photo - C&C please

LCARSx32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lcarsx32.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this at my aunt's wedding. I thought it was a neat shot, but I'd like to get everyone's thoughts.

I know the picture is grainy. I had the camera on a tripod, but obviously couldn't get everyone to freeze for a picture. So, I had to bump the ISO to 800 to get decent exposure. In hindsight, I would have thought of something funny to say so her expression wasn't so stoic.

The settings were ISO 800, f/4, 1/40 sec.
wedding.jpg

Please, any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Ray

Hmmm... to be honest, I'm not terribly fussed about this image. I think it has some potential, and if you could increase the exposure on her face, it would help greatly. As you mentioned, her expression doesn't appear as happy as one might like, BUT given the circumstances, I think you did well.

I think that picture would have been so much better if the wedding bands were there by the stones, it'd make the picture more meaningful IMO

Sorry, but it is pants, why focus on the rocks when one of the most important things to shoot is the bride and groom

Sorry, but it is pants, why focus on the rocks when one of the most important things to shoot is the bride and groom

"pants" ? :confused:

You're right, the bride and groom are the whole reason d'etre for the photographs, but it's important to capture the whole event, and often images like this are missed. In 20 years, they will still remember walking down the aisle, but until they look through their wedding album, will they remember those blue stones, or other little odds and ends?

I think that picture would have been so much better if the wedding bands were there by the stones, it'd make the picture more meaningful IMO

I think the photo is plenty meaningful enough without the bands... it's obviously a wedding cake... the bands don't need to be there to emphasize it. :lol: I don't think I've seen very many shots of wedding cakes where the bands were present, but I could be wrong. I know mine didn't though.

I'm gonna change my mind and say, after looking at it... maybe I *do* like the front stones in focus... but it'd be better with a little bigger DOF... either that or what I said at first.

But again... I know nothing about wedding photography and don't plan on touching it with a 10 foot pole any time soon. :lmao:

Yeah but focusing on the rock doesn't do much IMO. I'd have focused on the cake leaving the rocks blurred.... The rocks in focus makes that part of the image the focal point of the picture. Which leaves me to think, are these rocks really that interesting?

The DOF on this shot makes the cake look like a large lump of icing lol. I agree with those above, the focus object should have been the cake.

The DOF on this shot makes the cake look like a large lump of icing lol. I agree with those above, the focus object should have been the cake.

if that cake were in focus it would look more like a lump of icing. Lets see some of your other shots.....

p!nK

"pants" ? :confused:

You're right, the bride and groom are the whole reason d'etre for the photographs, but it's important to capture the whole event, and often images like this are missed. In 20 years, they will still remember walking down the aisle, but until they look through their wedding album, will they remember those blue stones, or other little odds and ends?

I think there would have been more interesting things to shoot

Yeah but focusing on the rock doesn't do much IMO. I'd have focused on the cake leaving the rocks blurred.... The rocks in focus makes that part of the image the focal point of the picture. Which leaves me to think, are these rocks really that interesting?

That's what I said the *first* time. :lmao:

I think we were both typing at the same time although looks like you submitted before me....

Of course I got other pictures of the cake and the happy couple! I'll post some more of the pictures sometime.

Thanks for the comments. Oh, by the way; the cake was a big lump of icing, lol. It had to be over an inch thick. She wanted a more simple cake that had a "ribbon" of icing? coming down it. But, another aunt was paying for it and apparently decided she liked this one better...

-Ray

nice effort, but I am afraid you missed the moment. The cutting of the cake is more important than the stones in front....its not a 'bad' shot..just the wrong focus, IMO.

The cutting of the cake ;):

cutting_the_cake.jpg

The shot of the diamonds was when she was cutting up the cake to hand out to guests. A good chunk of the cake was gone at that point.

Regardless what you lot think of flash/strobed light, these shots without in my case would ensure I never worked again, they are too dark with deep facial shadows which aren't anywhere near what a wedding photographer should be producing for a couple, get a flash either on or off camera and learn how to use it, its a tool for photographers not the devil in disguise. H

Most reactions

Back