10,000 miles. 3 weeks. Lets plan my US Trip

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I moved this from Cafe TPF hoping it would get some more attention in this section.....

I am planning to go around the US next year. Just driving. Ok, maybe the mileage is off, but at least I could say the however many 'extra' miles on my car are true 'highway' mile :)

I want to ping-pong the US. I live in NC. From there to Maine and New Hampshire, down the border to New York to see Niagra falls. Couple days there, along the Great Lakes in Michigan Through Chicago (always wanted to go through it) then to St. Louis (of course for the arch) to Kansas City, Missouri to a place called Ruby's Soul Food my dad suggested. Through Wisconsin to North Dakota then over to Montana and Washington and British Columbia for some nice photo ops. Come down diagonally through Utah, Colorado and stuff zig-zagging to Kansas, Oklahoma then over to California and down the coast. Come through California and go on the bottom border of the US through Nevada to Las Vegas and of course the Grand Canyon for a couple of days because I want to actually go down into the canyon. Through Texas and Lousiana.....possibly to Florida.....................then back up to home, North Carolina :)

I don't know about sleeping wise though. I though about camping out a couple nights or just sleeping in the car to save some money unless any photographers here would allow me and probably and someone else to stay the night. I'm thinking about spending a good amount so I would make sure to have enough to get me through the trip. I figure if it were around 5,000 miles and gas was $3.50 (who knows what it'll be in March of next year) and I get 27 mpg in my new accord (well, it's an '02) then it'll be about $650 for gas and I'll set aside $800 plus admission to different parks (Grand Canyon, Yosemite, etc).

If there is any place worth going by on that.......um.....rough route, please tell me. I'd like to start planning now. Its more for an experience to go since I have a decent camera and to get photos and to get away on my own (and with someone else) before I go into the Air Force. I first planned on going in in February, but I'm 19 and February is just around the corner and I have though about getting a D300 and I'd like to shoot with that instead of it just sitting and not getting used since I would have been at basic training.

I figure, I won't be under the orders of the military (even though I won't mind being in) and I can get out there and have a fun time and have two weeks to do it.

Anyways, if anyone has done something like I'm wanting and planning to do, please let me know any photo opportunities worth going to on the way, please tell me here. I'm looking to leave some time in March and stay gone for 3 weeks - asking off for 3 1/2 just "in case" (that paycheck will suck). I know of all the normal places to go, but I'm looking for suggestions and support of places that I wouldn'tt hink of. Places you know of because you live in this particular state. Just a hole in the wall place that's good for the eyes, and the sensor.

Well, thank you for your input, and I will have until next year to plan everyting out.

~Michael~

Wow .... are you really up for something like that? Will you do it solo... even though that sounds best. No one to nag you so you can create. Well good luck If I can think of any other locations I'll post it.

probably wanna plan more than 650 for the entire trip. my cousin went across country with me this summer in her cougar and we did about 50$ x 2 per day and it was 6 days. thats 600$ right there.

When you come to washington i wouldnt mind letting you bunk up here. Though i live about an hour outside of seattle. Ive got a spare room you could chill in.

Yeah I refigured everything and on about 10,000 miles total, I was just thinking about $1,400 just for gas and the remining for park entrance. I'd probabl have enough.

And as for going solo or not, I really don't know who could go with me and could either a) get off work or b) get out of school for that amount of time. I might just make it a month to MAKE sure I don't have to worry about time constraints.

There's so many places to consider

~Michael~

Puget Sound (Washington State)
Deadwood (Mt. Rushmore, etc. S.Dakota),
The Black Hills (S. Dakota)
NYC,
Big Sir Area (Calif),
Solvang, (Calif.)
The Keys (Florida)
Salt Lake City - and the Grand Canyon from the Utah side.
The Navajo Nation within the USA. <-- !!!
The Cherokee Nation within the USA.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago, my buddy and I decided we were going to take some nice fall foliage shots. It ballooned into taking a trip to Maine instead of staying local and taking day trips (Virginia). We decided to try and make it to several lighthouses along the way. It was a nice trip, probably 1300 miles each way and that took a week. You really need to consider how much time you're actually going to spend in the car. I would highly suggest getting a really good GPS if you don't have one already. That way, you could drive right to what ever location you're looking for instead of driving around losing valuable time looking for this or that. I've found that very few locals can really give good directions to things they drive by everyday.
If it were me, I'd take the coastal route to Maine, hitting some of the more picturesque lighthouses along the way. I'd also try and hit a bunch of waterfalls along the way. When out west, consider Multnomah Falls in Oregon. Another thing that would kill me about this trip would be driving so far to a destination only to get there in the early afternoon when the lighting is harsh, and coming away with only mediocre pics that could've been prizes if you could wait several more hours.
Sounds like fun, but if it were me, I'd probably limit it to East or West coast so you have more time in certain areas. I wouldn't do this without GPS though.

in michigan, the things to see are the northern tip just below the Upper Peninsula, near and around the Mackinac bridge, Sleeping Bear Dunes on the lake michigan coast, (really anywhere around the lake michigan coast) and the lake superior coast up in the UP. (whitefish point, painted rocks, tahquamenon falls)

in california, i would see Yosemite, Humboldt/lost coast (think 350 foot trees, and a coast that is 150 miles long and the only way to get there is 1 or 2 back roads) Big Sur, Death Valley, and San francisco

Don't forget you can get an annual pass that covers admission to all of the National Parks -- I think it's well under $100. Many of the popular parks (I know the Canyon does) require reservations if you're planning to camp. This should be loads of fun, but I'm afraid you're biting off too much to do all of that in 3 weeks. You will be running without enjoying. How about doing East of the Mississippi in one trip and West in another trip?

Another fun option would be to follow the course of the old US Route 66. Alot is still there and there are all sorts of kitchy little roadside attractions.

Ian

Buy an annual parks pass at the first national park you go to. It is $80 for the year and, will pay for itself by pretty much the first four parks you visit.

Puget Sound (Washington State)
Deadwood (Mt. Rushmore, etc. S.Dakota),
The Black Hills (S. Dakota)
NYC,
Big Sir Area (Calif),
Solvang, (Calif.)
The Keys (Florida)
Salt Lake City - and the Grand Canyon from the Utah side.
The Navajo Nation within the USA. <-- !!!
The Cherokee Nation within the USA.

Thanks. Those sounds great. I will look them up online and see what I can find out. I have been to the Grand Canyon but want to go to another part of it to see what else is out there.

Mike_# said:
What's the time frame? Makes a world of difference.

It first started as being two weeks, now it's up to three. Im thinking of justs making it a month to make sure I have enough time for most of everything.

Johnboy2978 said:
A couple of years ago, my buddy and I decided we were going to take some nice fall foliage shots. It ballooned into taking a trip to Maine instead of staying local and taking day trips (Virginia). We decided to try and make it to several lighthouses along the way. It was a nice trip, probably 1300 miles each way and that took a week. You really need to consider how much time you're actually going to spend in the car. I would highly suggest getting a really good GPS if you don't have one already. That way, you could drive right to what ever location you're looking for instead of driving around losing valuable time looking for this or that. I've found that very few locals can really give good directions to things they drive by everyday.
If it were me, I'd take the coastal route to Maine, hitting some of the more picturesque lighthouses along the way. I'd also try and hit a bunch of waterfalls along the way. When out west, consider Multnomah Falls in Oregon. Another thing that would kill me about this trip would be driving so far to a destination only to get there in the early afternoon when the lighting is harsh, and coming away with only mediocre pics that could've been prizes if you could wait several more hours.
Sounds like fun, but if it were me, I'd probably limit it to East or West coast so you have more time in certain areas. I wouldn't do this without GPS though.

I do not have a GPS and actually have been looking at getting. They're super cheap (considering) and I would enjoy having one anyways. I would definately take a route close to the Atlantic to get up to Maine. After what I have seen of the woman who lives in Mass (I think) those lighthouses look great. That's the only thing I'm worried about is going somewhere to be disappointed with the shots I get. That always happens to me - I learn something new and wished I would have know it then or figure out something I could have done while I was shooting but didn't.

icassell said:
Don't forget you can get an annual pass that covers admission to all of the National Parks -- I think it's well under $100. Many of the popular parks (I know the Canyon does) require reservations if you're planning to camp. This should be loads of fun, but I'm afraid you're biting off too much to do all of that in 3 weeks. You will be running without enjoying. How about doing East of the Mississippi in one trip and West in another trip?

Another fun option would be to follow the course of the old US Route 66. Alot is still there and there are all sorts of kitchy little roadside attractions.

Ian

I have also looked at Route 66 and have heard some [good] things about it and that's a route I wouldn't mind going. Those kitchy little attractions is what I'm really looking for past the ones that are "usually" nationally known (Yosemite, Grand Canyone, Yellowstone). That part pass is definately something that seems worth while, what's $100 on a 10,000 mile trip right? :)

Thanks for all the help so far. I think I may have to make it a full month to get everything out of the way.

~Michael~

in michigan, the things to see are the northern tip just below the Upper Peninsula, near and around the Mackinac bridge, Sleeping Bear Dunes on the lake michigan coast, (really anywhere around the lake michigan coast) and the lake superior coast up in the UP. (whitefish point, painted rocks, tahquamenon falls)

If you're going to go that far north, just take the bridge or whatever it is to go into the U.P. and then down Wisconsin into Chicago.

A month sounds reasonable and relaxed! I was thinking 2 weeks sounded a little limited or very hurried.

As for the Grand Canyon what parts have you seen?

From the Utah side (Glen Canyon) down into Marble Canyon is the most accessible and also the most beautiful parts. Bring your hiking boots! :D

Maybe 2 ... maybe 3 ... :lmao:

check out this route 66 link : http://www.theroadwanderer.net/route66.htm

and here's another: http://www.historic66.com/

Ian

Thanks for those links. There is so much on that route. It's just going another direction than planned...

Bifurcator said:
A month sounds reasonable and relaxed! I was thinking 2 weeks sounded a little limited or very hurried.

As for the Grand Canyon what parts have you seen?

From the Utah side (Glen Canyon) down into Marble Canyon is the most accessible and also the most beautiful parts. Bring your hiking boots! :D

I went on the West side I think it was. The normal place where people go to see it. I have wanted pictures like http://i.pbase.com/o6/10/364410/1/77281309.yHvfE2IU.Illuminationsm.jpg. I have alway seen them in magazines, but wanted to shoot them myself. The lighting is amazing.

I really want to go down into the Canyon and spend the night down there and get some pictures of the Colorado River.

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back