10,000 miles. 3 weeks. Lets plan my US Trip

If you're not a member of Auto Club, maybe you should join, and talk to them about your expedition. They can be quite helpful.

Wow! You have an awesome plan. I wish I could that too. I saw some of my friend's shot in Niagara Falls and it was great. I really want to go there. I can't help you with anything right now but if ever I do have something, I'll post it for you. Have Fun!

I'll have to take a look at Auto Club abraxas. I have never heard of them. What could htey help me with? Planning it or what?

Thanks for the tip.

Cherry,
I just decided on a whim to do this but have to get everything finalized. I have heard nothing but great things about Niagra falls, more things about it at night and when it's frozen than antyhing else.

~Michael~

I'll have to take a look at Auto Club abraxas. I have never heard of them. What could htey help me with? Planning it or what?

Pretty much, they can give you a page by page/mile by mile trip book of your trip. I always use them for interstate travel. Doesn't cost anything beyond the membership I believe.

Also, I've been a member for 25 years. After about 5 years (which it's good to start with them as early as you can), they're roadside assistance is great. I get up to 3-100 mile tows and one, 200 mile tow a year (or 4 service calls). They can come in handy. I also use their discount on motel rooms.

They know their stuff and could really help you out if you tell them the points of interest that you'd like to see.

If you come to New Orleans, let me know. I dont know if I can provide housing, but I can show you around if you would like.

Also, have you considered looking for an RV/camper...the kind that are all in one if that makes sense. Then you can save more money by packing up your groceries and making food every night. Then all you have to worry about is where to sleep. Plus whenever you get tired you can pull off and sleep. I think you can stop at Rest Areas and sleep if need be.

I wish I could go on this trip!

Thanks for the tip.

Cherry,
I just decided on a whim to do this but have to get everything finalized. I have heard nothing but great things about Niagra falls, more things about it at night and when it's frozen than antyhing else.

~Michael~

I think AAA is only available in California and Texas..I got lucky when I moved from California ;)...whenever I call and make a payment the first thing they ask is..."is your policy in California or Texas?"

Good luck on your travels!

I thought AAA was everywhere? Maybe I'm mistaken. I considered looking at a RV, like renting one but haven't REALLY looked into how much they would be. I would hate to fill it up though and driving would be weird but it is a possibility.

As for coming through New Orleans, itsanaddiction, that will probably happen at the end of the month.

Thank you for the offer. It's great to have so much support and people willing to show me around who would know the area.

Also, I belive I am going to definitly get a GPS and thought about getting Satellite radio :)

~Michael~

Bump.

I'm wondering about lenses.

Maybe a 70-200 2.8, and 17-55 2.8 too or the 12-24 f/4. I just dont' know. i would probably have to rent them or something. i looked up the prices for a month, and it's going to be about $650. Something I really don't wanna have to spend on lenses. I wonder if they can cut me a deal or something?

~Michael~

+1 for the city museum. It's like a huge playground for adults. It's open every day, but a friday or Saturday night is the best. Send me a pm if you are coming through St. Louis.

A few years ago, I did something similar, except, I flew from Canada to Europe and rented a car there. 4 weeks of fun and about 200 hours of video (back before I was into photography... lol).

It was an amazing experience. If I was to suggest anything, spend a little less time looking at/for pictures and a little more time seeing the beauty around me.

I was driving around and found myself in this little valley at the base of the Swiss Alps... it was breathtaking, I mean literally you stopped breathing to look all around you at the beauty. I almost missed that becuase I was filming!

Be street savvy... don't pick up hitch hikers and be wary of strangers checking you out a little more than normal. Don't carry a gun, that just gives them something more to use against you. Better to be pro-active and not fall into those situations beforehand, than reactive and try dealing with them when it is too late.

Enjoy, be safe and have fun!

Thanks lids. That looks like a VERY interesting place. I will look more into that.

Jerry, I was wondering when you were going to make your way to this thread :) Well, what you say about the gun did cross my mind as well as looking through my eyes, and not through my eyes through a camera. I have realized that I really need to take the camera away from my eyes every once in a while to really enjoy and appreciate what's going on around me. At family functions, I always seem to be behind the camera and not enjoying everything. I'm going to have to watch out for that on my trip.

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back