10/11/17 Aurora hunt (C&C welcome)

Low_Sky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Finally my 2017/2018 aurora season is kicked off. We have had a few good storms this fall, but so far they've all lined up with cloudy skies in my neck of the woods. Last night was the season's first good aurora forecast with mostly clear skies for me. I'm still new at the aurora thing, but this season I am going to try to focus on composition. I can't control the earth or space weather, but I can control what I put in the foreground.

That said, please chime in with critiques on the compositions if you have them. Thanks.

Sony a6500, Samyang 12mm f/2, all shot at f/2.

1. Selfie.
a6500-6505784 by Low_Sky, on Flickr

2. Chugach Mountains. 5-shot stitched pano.
a6500--2 by Low_Sky, on Flickr

3. Outside Old Knik River Bridge.
a6500-6505769 by Low_Sky, on Flickr

4. Inside Old Knik River Bridge.
a6500-6505752 by Low_Sky, on Flickr

Love the aurora - one of my favourite things to photograph. Unfortunately I have to travel to do so and that costs $$$$$.

When I shoot mine, I try to keep man-made things out of the picture, but that is just me. I like #2, but I wish there was a bit more sky and bit less lake in the image.

What sort of exposure times and ISO are you using?

WesternGuy

Love the aurora - one of my favourite things to photograph. Unfortunately I have to travel to do so and that costs $$$$$.

When I shoot mine, I try to keep man-made things out of the picture, but that is just me. I like #2, but I wish there was a bit more sky and bit less lake in the image.

WesternGuy

#1: 20s, ISO 800 (so I had time to paint a little light on the rocky point on the left, and I didn't have any fast moving aurora to freeze)

#2-4: 5s, ISO 2500 and 3200.

I lost some sky in the pano because of cropping after the merge was done. I was hoping the 12mm would be wide enough I could stitch landscape oriented photos, but that wasn't the case. Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WesternGuy

#1: 20s, ISO 800 (so I had time to paint a little light on the rocky point on the left, and I didn't have any fast moving aurora to freeze)

#2-4: 5s, ISO 2500 and 3200.

I lost some sky in the pano because of cropping after the merge was done. I was hoping the 12mm would be wide enough I could stitch landscape oriented photos, but that wasn't the case. Lesson learned.

Thanks.

WesternGuy

auroras always amaze me. Never seen one. Hoped to catch it in NZ, but missed.

auroras always amaze me. Never seen one. Hoped to catch it in NZ, but missed.

Right latitudes, right space weather, right earth weather, right time, right plan, right place, right light pollution. I count my blessings every time I see them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back