10.2 Megapixel and 6.3

mortallis288

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have any examples of the difference in the two megapixels? I am torn if i really want to spend 500 more bucks for a D80 instead of a D-50

There are many factors which influence image quality
number of pixels
size of sensor
how the camera deals with noise/high iso
quality of lens

If you're spending several thousand on gear then an extra 500 isn't so much and probably worth it. But if you're only spending 500 to start with, then an extra 500 for the additional 4mp is a huge jump.

My gut reaction would be to not spend the extra cash on higher resolution but on higher quality accessories. Canon's L lenses are excellent and I'm sure Nikon have a similar range of quality lenses for their bodies. Buying good lenses will improve your shots more than extra megapixels.
The increase you describe isn't as big as you might think since resolution is a square function. In other words increasing the length and breadth each by 50% only increases resolution by 25%. ie 50% x 50%.

The only time i can think of where more megapixels would be better is if you're planning on printing huge prints eg poster sized or larger.
But for most other situations i'd imagine that 6.3mp and a better quality lens would yield better results than 10mp and a poor quality lens.

If you google 6mp v 10mp you'll find lots of articles on the differences and even some sample shots.

Buying good lenses will improve your shots more than extra megapixels.

Absolutely. A Holga uses a much larger negative than a Leica with a prime; does that automatically make it a better choice? If you already have good glass (and of course flash, tripod, and whatever else you may require) or can afford it in addition to the D80 then go for it; on the other hand I wouldn't buy the D80 over the D50 if it left you with only kit zooms. $500 could get you a good zoom or a couple of primes; in my opinion these on a 6mp sensor (with careful interpolation where necessary) will serve you better than cheap lenses on a 10mp one.

Of course having said that, the the D80 does have other advantages over the D50 and these may be important to you, but I would not base the decision only on the megapixel difference.

You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference with a web based image.

The increase you describe isn't as big as you might think since resolution is a square function. In other words increasing the length and breadth each by 50% only increases resolution by 25%. ie 50% x 50%.

ain't it the other way round? since it is square, to double horizontal and vertical resolution, you need 4-times the megapixels? So 16 MP gives you twice the number of pixels horizontally and vertically compared to 4 MP

sure that was what you actually meant

There are several things that are different between these 2 cameras, not just MPs. One thing I noticed about the D80 files is they are still a lot bigger after cropping than a regular D70 (6.3 Mp) uncropped file. The D80 monitor also blows away the monitor on the D70 (which I believe is the same as the D50).

ain't it the other way round? since it is square, to double horizontal and vertical resolution, you need 4-times the megapixels? So 16 MP gives you twice the number of pixels horizontally and vertically compared to 4 MP

sure that was what you actually meant

that's pretty much what i was trying to say. :thumbup:

In effect 6mp to 10mp isn't such a big jump when you look at the horizontal and vertical number of pixels on both cameras. The increase in resolution may go from 6mp to 12mp but it's not double the resolution it's an increase of around 50%.

the big difference comes where you go from Canon 20D to 5D. Increase in resolution and full frame sensor. But it also proves that it's not just pixels that make a quality camera/photo
:D

yes, i can show you the difference between my d70s 6.1 million pixels and d200 10. somthin million pixels.

just pm me your email, also though i'm almost positive you could find it on dpreview.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back