10 reasons why a Pro Photographer left Nikon...

ConradM

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
.. and switched to Sony. Interesting video. Also, all the bullet points he mentions apply to the A mount line as well.

Not a fan of his, so I don't take one word of anything he says to heart or even thought.

I cannot take someone who wears that hat seriously.

No offense Sean...

I like those hats.

Wonder why he didn't enumerate Sony's 16-lens "system" of optics as one of his positive selling points for his new A7s camera? Or mention the five prime lenses it offers? Or the percentage of toy-grade 18-XXX slow zoom lenses Sony has released?

http://store.sony.com/e-mount-lenses/cat-27-catid-All-E-Mount-Len

The cameras are here, but the lenses are missing in action, unless one can be satisfied with consumer-grade lenses. I totally "get" that his Sony can send an image via Wi-Fi to his smart phone. And the idea that a Sony can shoot a Nikon flash...uh, YEAH...so can my Canon, and my Canons can fire a Nikon flash as well. The "cross-system compatibility" he listed for flashes is a "duh!" comment. The CENTRAL PIN on any flash is all that is needed to fire a speedlight! He had to make up a non-issue and list it as a plus for the Sony system? Sorry, Ehhhh! [buzzer sound!].

Then at the end, he ASKED FOR a sponsorship deal from Sony? OMG....him asking on-air to be sponsored by the company he had just spent 22 minutes whoring for? No doubt intellectually honest people are thinking to themselves, "Dude....what a serious blow to your reputation!"

No doubt, he is right thought--Sony DOES make some cheap, light, small cameras that people wonder about when he shows up to professional assignments. I DO believe that what he says about that is 100% true. Buuuuuut, compensating for the small, light, cheap cameras is the fact that now he can shoot at 11 frames per second! He mentions that multiple times. Yessss!!!!!! Blast away, maybe get an amazing shot or two!

Again...the guy begs Sony for an endorsement deal at the end of his 24-minute video. Wow....just....wow.

Last edited:
The cameras are here, but the lenses are missing in action, unless one can be satisfied with consumer-grade lenses.

Yup, the A7s is very exciting and something I'd be excited to try, but the lens selection is deeply lacking for anyone who is serious into video.

Wonder why he didn't enumerate Sony's 16-lens "system" of optics as one of his positive selling points for his new A7s camera? Or mention the five prime lenses it offers? Or the percentage of toy-grade 18-XXX slow zoom lenses Sony has released?

http://store.sony.com/e-mount-lenses/cat-27-catid-All-E-Mount-Len

The cameras are here, but the lenses are missing in action, unless one can be satisfied with consumer-grade lenses. I totally "get" that his Sony can send an image via Wi-Fi to his smart phone.
That, and the build quality which is lacking... true, these are a LOT cheaper than a D4s, BUT, when you bang a D4s against a concrete wall, at worst, you'll get a little scuff mark. These Sony products, IMO, are likely to wind up as a pile of shattered plastic on the ground. When you have to buy 3-4 a year, I suspect the cost-savings might not be there.

What gives you that idea?

edit: I let my 11 year old run around with my 5 year old a33 and we all know how kids can be with electronics.

Some really exciting tech and excellent performance as always form Sony. I've owned multiple Sony cameras in the past and always found them to be excellent performers at the time.

The lens availability criticism is precisely correct. Those are some cool cameras and if and when pro-grade lenses become available they'll become truly exciting and usable cameras. However, if Sony is at all true to form and behaves at all like Sony has behaved over and over and over and over and over again, that day will never come and they'll abandon these cameras (and customers) for whatever their new cool stuff will be then.

The biggest reason Pros don't and won't use Sony cameras is because Sony has no clue what it means for a camera company to make a commitment to their working pro customers. Sony doesn't understand why pros don't use their cameras -- it's not the cameras, it's Sony.

Joe

In all fairness, he did back up what he said with photos: the little A6000 did a good job with desperate-looking Ehtiophians who sat or stood there and stared blankly into the camera. But I've seen the autofocus tests on the A6000, and the lenses and focus system are not up to what d-slrs can provide for sports or action and nature work. Lenses that are in the f/5~6.3 range are kind of a sticking point in some of the mirrorless systems, so what many people would end up needing is another entirely different system.

But for social photography, like the Ethiopians sitting around and looking helpless, any camera is going to be up to the task of focusing and metering those shots. If a person needs a light, small, compact camera for walkaround shooting of mostly still or slow-moving stuff, I think the mirrorless options make a lot of sense.

My issue with Sony is the four different lens mounts within a 10 year period. I'm just not down with that kind of a company, one that treats me as a credit card number. I really DO NOT have any faith in Sony ever sticking with ANYTHING to its true fruition.

Last edited:
Say what you will about Sony but they are the ballsiest company out there. granted they have had some duds but they have also changed the game more times than most companies. They just seem to lack focus as their products tend to get outdated quickly as Sony quickly shifts focus onto the next shiny object.

Canon/Nikon could be a bit more brave when it comes to trying new ideas.

Say what you will about Sony but they are the ballsiest company out there. granted they have had some duds but they have also changed the game more times than most companies. They just seem to lack focus as their products tend to get outdated quickly as Sony quickly shifts focus onto the next shiny object.

Canon/Nikon could be a bit more brave when it comes to trying new ideas.

It still blows my mind that canon and nikon haven't adopted EVF's in at least some of their DSLR models.

What gives you that idea?

edit: I let my 11 year old run around with my 5 year old a33 and we all know how kids can be with electronics.
First hand experience. Having handled them, they feel light, cheaply made and 'delicate'. I'm not disputing the image quality, features, etc, just their ability to hold up in long-term professional service. Just my $00.02 - YMMV

Most reactions

Back