100% beginner!

It's going to take me 6 months to save the money just for the camera,
I don't think I can afford $200 lenses just yet. :p
But once I get a camera, I'll keep an eye out for that lense.
What's so great about it?

It's going to take me 6 months to save the money just for the camera,
I don't think I can afford $200 lenses just yet. :p
But once I get a camera, I'll keep an eye out for that lense.
What's so great about it?

It's got an ideal focal range for everyday use, it's well built (with a metal lens mount vice the plastic many of them have, and it's much sharper thoughout the range than a lot of kit lenses.

Remember that the camera body is just a means to record the image; the lens is what makes it. If you're going to scrimp, scrimp on the body NOT the glass!

Wait, so the quality of the body doesn't matter?
Or what if I got a pretty good body, and a pretty good lense. Will those photos be equal to a bad body and great lense? Or vice versa?

Wait, so the quality of the body doesn't matter?
Or what if I got a pretty good body, and a pretty good lense. Will those photos be equal to a bad body and great lense? Or vice versa?

All of the consumer-level bodies are very similar in terms of the picture quality they will produce. Some have better performance at higher ISOs, some have more features, but generally the actual picture they will produce under average conditions will be very, very similar.

A good lens and cheap body will beat a great body and crap lens any day.

All of the consumer-level bodies are very similar in terms of the picture quality they will produce. Some have better performance at higher ISOs, some have more features, but generally the actual picture they will produce under average conditions will be very, very similar.

A good lens and cheap body will beat a great body and crap lens any day.

All right, so should I buy a cheap body that comes with a kit lens, or is it not worth the extra cost?

Go buy a NIkon D40 kit, which will have the 18-55mm lens with it. this is a good way to start and a great camera for the price... If you have a extra 150.00 u can add on a 55-200 lens as an additon to the kit.

Keep in mind megapixels dont mean crap, more of them is not a reason to buy a camera. you will be fine with 6mp range for certain.

here is where i bought mine

this is for the body and 18-55 http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/541536652.htm?bct=t1134

and here is body 18-55 and 55-200 (do your self a favor and spend $50 more dollors and get the vr on the 55-200 its well worth it. http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SLR1160.htm?bct=t13031003%3Bcidigital-cameras-and-accessories%3Bcislr-digital-cameras

THis is a link to another thread on the photo forum i had responded to recently, it brakes down my entire D40 purchase through the ritz with prices, hope it helps..

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134643

Last edited:
If I may, what I'd suggest you do, since it appears that you haven't fully settled on one particular camera yet, is go around to your local cameras stores, pick up the different bodies, try them out, have the salesmen explain the featuers of each one and then think about a decision. While economics is a big factor, it's not the only one, and you may find that you want to wait a little while longer to save for a totally different camera, because after playing with it, "It's the one".

A 55-200mm zoom is a telephoto zoom, essentially for magnifying the scene or bringing things from fara away "in close"

Filters are used to add effects to an image, help resolve exposure issues, and add artistic touchs. There are too many to discuss, but once you've settled on a camera, they're something to consider.

Also, an option for macro photography on a budget would be turning the lens around with an adapter. I haven't tried this, But I have seen some good results from it.

The D40 does a decent job on macro shots with the kit lens.. It has a decent focus range on it. I took this shot with it.. but its also at like a 100% crop.. the image couldn't really be made any larger.

http://tonyparker.smugmug.com/photos/347707341_pYgra-M.jpg

I won't link it as an image so that it won't clutter up the thread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back