$1000 budget. what to get?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by WTF?, Apr 19, 2009.

1. WTF?

WTF? TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    im going to be doing some non-photography related work next week that should result in around $1000 (~730 usd) and im planning on investing it in some lighting and a fisheye.

so i was wondering what flash/s and fisheye i should get. i was thinking perhaps a vivitar 285hv for the flash, but im not sure on the fisheye, the tokina 10-17 is a bit too expensive and the peleng 8mm doesnt seem the best in quality.
    does anyone have experience with either of these lenses? how is the performance of the peleng? should i just wait and save up for the tokina?

and before you start going on about how a fisheye is a special effect lens and i should get a wide angle instead, i already know i want a fisheye, and i want to get into skate photography so its pretty essential i have a fisheye for that.

any other recommendations for what i should blow my money on would be appreciated.

2. LuckySo-n-So

LuckySo-n-So TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A "gentleman's club" is always a good way to blow money. However, since you want photography equipment, I'd go for that.

3. blash

blash TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not intimately familiar with skate photography so I'm not sure if you need a longer or shorter fisheye.

Shorter: Sunex rules them all. 5.6mm f/5.6 fixed aperture, gets everything in super-sharp focus. Read:
    Sunex 5.6mm Fisheye
    Buy:
    Sunex | 5.6mm f/5.6 SuperFisheye Fixed Focus Lens | DSLR01C

For a longer fisheye, I'd stick with Canon's 15mm f/2.8 offering but they appear to be out of stock. Sigma's pretty much your only other choice, same 15mm f/2.8 though.

In any case, when working with a fisheye you definitely want to read this:
    Fisheye-Hemi

4. WTF?

WTF? TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i use a 40d (1.6 crop), would 15mm make much of a 'fishy' effect?