$1000 to spend on DSLR

v1001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi. I would like to do an upgrade and be more serious about my photography. I would like to spend less than a grand for a camera and lens. I have no idea whats out there though. I usually take nature and landscape scenes. But love taking photos of everything really. And I'd really like to get into model photography. I have some good friends that are models and they would let me take photos of them anytime I'd like. But I'd like to branch out and do some trade for CD work as I progress. Now I don't want to look like a hack and want good quality photos. My camera needs to look reasonably professional looking and my first lens should be suited for Model photography. At least so the models aren't thinking they've wasted their time. Am I even going to be able to get something respectable for $1000 or do I need to spend more? Whats going to be the best bang for the buck? It's got to be something that will grow with me too and will not hold me back in any way no matter what I choose to do. I'll pick up lighting and flashes later.

Thanks.

Honestly, all manufacturers make some fine cameras these days. What really makes the difference in image quality is the lens.
This being said, a good portrait lens can be quite expensive.
If you don't have any preference in brands, i recommand looking at Nikon and Pentax. The first one for the quality of their cameras and the wide variety of lenses, and the second one for the quality for the $$$.
Canon makes fine cameras but their lenses have a tendency to be quite expensive.
For 1000, you are going to have a problem finding something that looks professional but if you buy a used camera.
If you want a professional looking camera without spending the money that it takes, just buy a battery grip.

Now if i can be a little biased, you should look into the K10D (or GX-10, it's the same camera). Right now, the K20D is out so you should be able to find the former for not much money. It is not an entry level camera, so it will be a while before you feel limited with it.
Then you can use any K-mount lens on it, so you have plenty of choice of very good glass, most of which is pretty cheap in comparaison to the other brands.

To meet your budget you'd be better off getting a few primes. The really good portrait zoom lenses will run you $1000 or more by themselves. Regarding Nikon, you're best regarding primes would be the 50mm f1.8 and 85 f1.8 (35 f/2 if you are doing wider shots). Grab all three of those lenses and a used D50 or D70s and you could get some great photos (once you the photographer get to that point).

You'll also need a good flash....at least an SB-600 on the Nikon line....SB-800 would be best and more than one flash would be even better.

Lastly, I'm not pushing Nikon because I think they are the best (they're the best for me), I just don't know a lot about the other brands, but all of Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax are great, you just have a wider selection of lenses from Canon and Nikon.

Thanks! I'm not really partial to any brand. Since you mentioned that I was looking at the pentax and found the K20D for $999 with a lens. I was thinking I'd rather have the newer model and then I could pick up a better lens later. Could you two look at this link and choose me a good combination? They have a few kits at the bottom.

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=4324321

Unless you really think I should go another brand or direction. Thanks again.

Thanks! I'm not really partial to any brand. Since you mentioned that I was looking at the pentax and found the K20D for $999 with a lens. I was thinking I'd rather have the newer model and then I could pick up a better lens later. Could you two look at this link and choose me a good combination? They have a few kits at the bottom.

You have completely wrong mentality. My D70s with pro glass will take better photos than a D80 with kit lens. I'd be willing to bet that the K10D with great glass will outshoot a K20D with entry level glass also. It's up to you, but you'll get better photo's with a cheaper body and better glass.

You have completely wrong mentality. My D70s with pro glass will take better photos than a D80 with kit lens. I'd be willing to bet that the K10D with great glass will outshoot a K20D with entry level glass also. It's up to you, but you'll get better photo's with a cheaper body and better glass.

I get what you are saying. And thats why I wanted to go this route. I wanted a better upgrade path. After you two said that and about the lenses and the price of lenses I figured I'd just pick up that better lens in a few months and spend more overall. I'd be fine learning and practicing on what it came with for now. It will give me time to figure it all out and practice until then. And in a few months if/when I want to step it up some notches I'll get a really nice lens. Or is it going to be really noticeably worse?

I've been looking at DSLR's as well. I've been focusing on the Canon DSLR's because I already have the lenses for my film camera, but I would look at the Canon 30D. Its about 750 new and you could get an okay or maybe better lens with the other money.

DO NOT buy from these rip off artists, they are major scammers, I know from experience, and from the experience of others. Go with trusted e-tailers like B&H, Adorama, Amazon.com etc. I bought my K10D from Amazon, and all went well, also bought my K110D from them a little over a year ago, and it was a pleasant experience also.

+1 for the 30D, I just picked a new one up and couldn't be happier with it. I also picked up a 50 1.8 and a extremeIII 1 gig, and the grand total was something a little over $900. If you found a used 30D or a 20D or a XT on BH, you could get a better starter lens for it.

I have the D80 and use a 50mm f1.8 and it does everything I need it to. If your buying new, you might be able to get a body, 50mm f1.8 and battery grip (that pro-factor you are talking about) for around a grand. If your working with models, your going to want some form of lighting, but that will easily put you over a grand. If you go for a used one, you might be able to get the above set-up and a SB-600, and your set.

I got a used (practically new) Canon 20D on eBay for $550 with shipping. It included two extra batteries (three total), a Sandisk Ultra II 4 GB CF Card and a cheap-o USB card reader that gets the job done. You could add to that a Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM lens for approx. $320 from Amazon.com and you've got a good starter kit for outside model work for $870. And if you're after the "professional look" of a square body camera, a battery grip new for about $160 would only put you over budget $30. This of course puts you at the mercy of who's selling their cameras on eBay and what they're including with the body.

Yeah, i would be a little concerned about those people, mostly because they even have the focal length of the kit lenses wrong.

If you want to take top quality pictures, and if you know you want to focus on portrait, i think you would be better off buying a body only and then finding some good primes for cheap.

I usually don't recommand canon myself and for one reason. The image stabilisation is not built in the body but in the lens. This brings the price of the lenses way up. So when you pay for an expensive Canon lens, you pay for the glass but also for this system. It also makes the lenses heavier and it is not proven to be more efficient.

You can find a d80 body only for $750 and i would say that this is a very good buy. The K10d goes for about the same price body only.

I think those would be the best choices for your budget at the moment. Off course if you want to go for the K20D, go for it. It has better resolution than the k10d, liveview and it deals much better with high ISos.

As far as some good lens you could pick up for portrait if you went with the pentax i recommand any of the 50mm f1.4. If you can find an SMS-A that would probably be the best but any is going to be okay. The f1.7 50s are very good as well, this is what i have. I have a SMS-M 50mm f1.7 and i love this lens.
It cost me 48$ and it is excellent ++ or mint. On the crop factor it puts you up to 75mm which is pretty good for portrait.
If you want to do some full body shoots need something a little longer, then there is the FA 28mm f2.8 that can be found for less than $150. This is a pretty good lens, it is just reported to have a bit of flair and CA.
FInally, if you want to get in the model's face a little more, you can get the DA 70mm limited. I woudl probably add this one a bit later because it is a little more expensive ($400) but it is a limited lens, which in pentaxian language means KICK *SS.

Yes, the difference between kit lens and 50mm IS that big.
It's almost as much as between a DSLR and a compact...
Compact is more flexible for sure, but you're going to take far better pictures with a prime lens, especially the 50mm, they are all of great builds, deliver awesome pictures, and have wonderful low light capacity. The bokeh can be really powerful. Just be cautious to focus right though... especially in portraits, always remember to focus on the eyes :p
By experience, I can tell you that you will be better off with a body only + 50mm than with a kit lens.
Yes, you will be sometimes frustrated by the fact you can't zoom in/out, but in the other hand, the f1.7 will allow you to take pictures in very dim light, and end up be able to make very nice portraits without the need of any flash the denature the scene.
And also, working with a prime make you think more about the crop. It makes you move. It make you work more. I think it's a nice thing when you begin to do real photography.
So forget about flashes and grip and etc. for now. Grab a K20D or K10D without kit lens, grab a 70$ 50mm f1.7, and then, think about what will you need: wider or more zoom?
Then you will know if you will have to go for something like a 70-200mm or a 17-50.
If you have money for both 50mm and kit lens, then I would recommend you to save up and go instead for a 50mm and a wide angle prime or tele zoom ;)
You could get the grip later on...

PS: I made a lost of mistake, so I think people could learn from it. I had a Minolta 7D with a Minolta 50mm f1.7... I wanted better low light performance, so listening to all those canon people, I bought a Canon 30D with a grip, sigma 30mm f1.4 HSM, Canon 50mm f1.4USM, Canon 85mm f1.8 USM and a grip.
The lens are awesome, but I'm so disappointed by the 30D :(
It's not a bad camera, but it really didn't worth the switch. Canon is not the best way to go if you are short in money... I think it's a good choice if you can get a 5D and the FF lens that go with it... or a 1D/1Ds... but I can't so I'm stuck with this...
Anyway, so the bottom line is: don't get too much lens before you even tested the camera :p I would certainly have sold my 30D if I didn't spend so much money in lenses... Now I just don't know...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back