10000 shots spent

jstuedle said:
These reductions in cost are what is going to kill film. It may take 10 years, maybe much longer, but its days are numbered.

no offense, but that kind of sounds like the people who said our troops would be home by christmas following the invasion of iraq...

the only way i'd switch to digital is if they sold good, durable, long-lasting professional cameras for $100, which is what you can already get with older film cameras that do the job nicely, that's what my entire camera setup cost me, and i wouldn't give up my camera for anything, film and lens technology will always improve, i don't need a new camera just for a new CCD, the body is just fine and will always be fine, and the lenses are still extremely good

but everything is a niche market, it just seems like trying to force out the film guys with digital is like trying to force out the truck guys with SUV's - it all seems very utopian

as it is, the point and shooters hold the vast majority of the market, if any big changes happen, it'll be there, not the professional market, which only responds to utilitarian needs

no offense, ...........

No offense taken. I agree with you about the P&S market. And I believe it will happen there. A $25 single use camera will soon be to market. In another 5 years, 1999 DSLR's will be had for $100, they can be had now for $300. JMHO, only time will tell. I really hope I'm wrong, but the market is already moving in that direction.

It's like a single use film camera. You buy the little cardboard/plastic box, snap off 12 or so shots and take it to Wal-Mart to have them open it up, plug it in, download and print your pics. They then clear the flash ram and put a new AA cell in it, and sell it to the next looser, er, a dummy who wants pics of their sisters wedding. I read the 1/4" sensor is only 1024X768 at 8 bits. Good enough for 4X6 prints at 150 DPI.

the vast majority of the market has always been and always will be inexpensive cameras. with the prices of digitals coming down that just means they are going to be able to tap into that market. it doesnt mean they are not going to further improve the high end market. i dont think they have come close to the potential of what can be acheived with digital imaging. there are too many variables involved that all can be improved on to say we are reaching it's maximum potential.

the vast majority of the market has always been and always will be inexpensive cameras. with the prices of digitals coming down that just means they are going to be able to tap into that market. it doesnt mean they are not going to further improve the high end market. i dont think they have come close to the potential of what can be acheived with digital imaging. there are too many variables involved that all can be improved on to say we are reaching it's maximum potential.

Very true. Once we get to the point where our lenses cant resolve the MP's of the sensor, we will get faster frame rate, cheaper, smaller & lighter cameras, faster image writing, faster raw compression, better image quality, and so on. By then we will get a breakthrough in lens technology and the cycle can start all over again. Fun, ain't it?

Most reactions

Back