105 2.8G VR Japan vs Chinese Models Rant

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So Nikon use to make the awesome 105 2.8G VR in Japan up until 2008 and then moved operations to China where they are being made today. Because of this, the made in Japan models are being sold on eBay for more than they cost new as "rare" items simply because it says its made in Japan but otherwise are identically the same, in fact, I was reading something today about this and the currently made chinese models are noticeably heavier than the Japan made model. No one knows exactly why the chinese model is heavier but most say its because they probably used more metal than plastic on the inside of the lens.

But for people to go around saying the Japan model is that much better than the currently made ones and that it has some special Japanese power and calling the chinese cheaper made is just wrong. They were both built to exact standards and because it was probably cheaper to build this lens in China than Japan, they probably were able to replace some plastic bits with metal almost making the china made model an improvement over the Japan made model.

I don't know how much truth there is to this, I saw a similar post about this on a Facebook group which sparked my interest.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I honestly don't care, I'm happy with my chinese model and just because the one on eBay you are looking at says its made in Japan, does not mean its better. You are only paying for "Made In Japan" lettering.

Last edited:
Thoughts on this what? The situation? The location of the production line for the 105VR? What? It's pretty simple: Made in Japan has come to stand for optical quality and home-country prodcution for Nikon cameras and lenses. Made in Japan (at the Sendai plant) has come to mean the plant where Nikon builds its best, and its most-expensive bodies and lenses. Japan is where Nikon has its most-senior executives, its corporate HQ, and its most experienced workers and its most-senior managers. Japan is synonymous with Nikon's best offerings. Nikon's out-of-country plants have the reputation as being where the second- and third-tier products are manufactured. Pretty much impossible to explain away decades of practice and public opinion, especially since Nikon KEEPS the best stuff Made in Japan. Nikon does things this way deliberately: labor costs are LOWER outside of Japan. The highest-profit and most-expensive items are made in-country.

It's one thing to be able to assemble a 50mm f/1.8 lens; Nikon does not allow the same class of workers to build the superteles, or the D4 bodies...or a number of other prestige products. And there's nothing anybody can do about it except the executives controlling Nikon.

Thoughts on this what? The situation? The location of the production line for the 105VR? What? It's pretty simple: Made in Japan has come to stand for optical quality and home-country prodcution for Nikon cameras an lenses. Made in Japan (at the Sendai plant) has come to mean the plant where Nikon builds its best, and its most-expensive bodies and lenses. Japan is where Nikon has its most-senior executives, its corporate HQ, and its most experienced workers and its most-senior managers. Japan is synonymous with Nikon's best offerings. Nikon's out-of-country plants have the reputation as being where the second- and third-tier products are manufactured. Pretty much impossible to explain away decades of practice and public opinion, especially since Nikon KEEPS the best stuff Made in Japan. Nikon does things this way deliberately: labor costs are LOWER outside of Japan. The highest-profit and most-expensive items are made in-country.

Ok, guess I was wrong. Maybe I should return my cheap chinese model and buy a used Japan one. lol

World opinion can be difficult to change. The words "Made in China" do not cary the same prestige as Made in Japan when it comes to camera goods. Maybe that seems unfair. But the people of Europe, and South America, and North America, and Australia seem to have a preference for the words Made in Japan on expensive, higher-ticket items. Old preferences die hard, as can be seen by the fact that people willingly pay more for Made in Japan than for Made in China version of products that were once made in Japan, but are now made outside of Japan.

When an item is made in China, it's a tacit admission that the item is being manufactured with cost-cutting as a consideration, at least in Nikon corporate's eyes. Ergo...50/1.8....Made in China...ergo 200/2, 200-400 VR, 300/2.8, other high end lenses--Made in Japan. The simple stuff is made wherever it can be made affordably. Labor costs are much higher in Japan than elsewhere. On truly high-ticket items, Made in Japan means something...to both Nikon, to retailers, and to retail customers. The e-Bay market shows a preference for Made in Japan over Made in China. Nikon reinforces this by its practices of KEEPING the high-price, low-volume, high-prestige stuff Made in its six plants located Japan.

Nikon's corporate offices are here: Shinagawa Intercity Tower C, 2-15-3, Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-6290, Japan
Tel: +81-3-6433-3600

Nikon Corporate Information Corporate Profile

Take note that 23,859 "consolidated" employees work in Japan, and 5,684 "non-consolidated" employees work outside of Japan.

Last edited:
Wanted to clear something up, I am not talking about Nikon's Chinese and Japan made lenses in general, I am only specifically talking about the 105 2.8G VR. I 100% agree with what you said about Nikon's Japan quality. No question about that. But I just don't understand why people would want to sell the made in Japan for more than what it cost new when it is exactly the same as the made in China version and like I mentioned before the only difference between the two is the China made one is heavier than the Japan made model..ok ok..the boxes are little different too. Whether its the China or Japan made version, its a fantastic lens in my opinion.

Most reactions

Back