10D or 300D?

danalec99 said:
And I've ordered the EF50 f1.4. Waiting for the online order to arrive.
Wow. I hope you like it. I love mine.

What do you think of EF 75-300mm?
I haven't used one, but I've heard mixed reports. It's a polycarb body, so a cheaper lens. I'm thinking of getting one myself, though. I don't need a telephoto often enough to justify the cost of a more expensive lens, but I would like to have one at times. I spent the money on the 50/1.4 (instead of the 50/1.8 ), since I knew I would be using that a lot.

Could I do landscape with it or the 50/1.4?
Not traditional ones, where you see a wide vista. For that you would need a wide-angle lens. The Canon 22-55mm has the crop of a 35-88mm on the 10D. I picked one up a while ago when I wanted to experiment with really wide shots on my EOS5. It's perfect for the 10D, as 35mm tends to be a perfered focal length. It's also a cheap polycarb lens, but again, I don't do a lot of landscapes, so I didn't feel like spending the money on something of a higher quality.

This is one of the few shots I have up taken with the 22-55.

ToGo3.sized.jpg

danalec99 said:

Yup, but the first one is a newer printing with 16 more pages. I owned the older one (but donated it to someone). I don't know what the new stuff is that was added. The older book is great, so you can't go wrong with it, but it might be worth the couple of extra bucks to get the newer one.

Whoops. I just realized that I was thinking of the new 100-300, not the 75-300. They both get mixed reviews, but the 75-300 is a metal mount. The 100-300 is the one I was thinking of because of price.

50/1.4 is the one that I'm planning to challenge myself with.

The reason why I asked re. ef75-300 is because I would like to have a 'normal' lens that would take normal pics. Is that a good call?

danalec99 said:
The reason why I asked re. ef75-300 is because I would like to have a 'normal' lens that would take normal pics. Is that a good call?
How do you mean normal? It's not normal in the way the term is usually used. "Normal" means the camera sees the scene the way your eye would, with no distance compression (like a telephoto) or stretching (like a wide angle).

For a 35mm (film size, not lens size) film camera, normal would be a 50mm lens. I still don't have my head wrapped around the whole conversion thing, but going just by crop, a 35mm lens would be normal on a 10D. A 75-300mm on a 10D would be way into the telephoto range.

What do you mean by telephoto?

Feel much better now.....instead of having an active dialogue (since we are poles apart in this field), I thought it would be better if I could show you the works that you have done and then raising the queries.

Thanks,
danalec99

Rather than answering all those, which I think would be misleading as there is more going on than just different focal lengths, I think it would be good to take a look at this page and study it real well. It shows you what changing the focal length does and what a change in aperture does.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back